• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Gender Fluidity

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Just how much do you identify with your own gender?
Very little with the preconceived notion, if any.

Do you think gender is innate?
No.

Do you think that it is important to have set gender roles, even loose ones?
No.

Has the divide between how certain genders are viewed, including predjudicial aspects really changed or improved?
No.

How do you view gender in any regard?
A social construct that's endured through today.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Some.

I think that current gender roles aren't innate, but the propensity to create arbitrary roles and assign them to sex/class/eye color/hair type/height is innate.

No.

Has the divide between how certain genders are viewed, including predjudicial aspects really changed or improved?
I really dig this whole fluid/queer thing. It makes sense to me.

I find it restrictive and arbitrary.

Morpeko

Noble Wolf
MBTI Type
LEFV
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Not much in personality, a lot in appearance.

No.

Hell no.

It has definitely evolved so much over recent history. I don't like the direction it's going into. I definitely don't want it to go back to the past, though.
Rather than people believing in the binary or spectrum, I'd rather just completely throw the concept of gender out the window.

In case it wasn't clear, I find it unhelpful and limiting.
I do think that biological sex is important to consider because there are biological differences. But it shouldn't mean more than that.

SurrealisticSlumbers

📠girl in an 🎠world
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

I would say I identify with it.

I think - not to be crass - humans are much more than the sum of their anatomical differences. That which we perceive as a "female" trait versus a "male" trait is socially constructed and varies across continent, subgroup, etc.

It depends upon if that role is taken on willingly. If someone does not want to become a mother, for example, she shouldn't be consigned to such a role. It also begs the question of, who determines and sets these roles, anyhow? I keep thinking of that uber-creepy show The Handmaid's Tale. Although it's an extreme example, this is what such autocracy would look like... I say, let someone define their own role within society - if it's truly a democracy.

Not really. Pretty much every feminist movement that came after The Feminine Mystique just got weirder and more arbitrary. It went from being, let's get women viewed equally in all industries to, I should be allowed to walk the streets naked. I think this has harmed the essence of what it originally meant to be a feminist. I think it has hindered the progress of women and caused a lot of bickering. I'm interested in how the lives of women in other countries can be ameliorated at this point. One could argue that in Western countries we still have prejudice against women/misogyny but it's hella worse in places like India.

I think the divide, mentally and psychologically, will always exist. Men and women will probably always be viewed differently to some extent, the point is to not let it negatively affect things. Such as a woman getting hired for a job she is qualified to work.

A certain set of attributes that is assigned to an individual from birth, based on cultural, religious, and socio-economic factors.

Gone

I don't. I mean, I am female and I certainly don't disagree, it's just not very important to me. What is important to me is to be acknowledged as a person and to be treated as such.

Well who defines what gender is? It's a matter of perception. I think that a central part of your personality is set at birth and the rest is heavily influenced by how you were raised, the society you live in, etc. How this part of your personality is perceived and if it appears more stereotypically female or stereotypically male or something else depends on the collective agreement of the society you live in.

Probably? I personally think they suck and people just should treat everyone as a person. But everyone will always make assumptions based on external appearance and behaviour (be it (visible) gender, skin colour, hair colour, hair length, clothes, if you painted your nails or not, choice of words, accent) and notice patterns and draw conclusions from that, so it seems to be beneficial at large.
I don't think there's much to be done about it except always keeping in mind that these assumptions are exactly that: assumptions. And the difference between genders is not as big as gender roles suggest.

In which time frame? Over the course of centuries, even just decades, surely. I do think they change every year, every day. Improved is another matter... highly subjective. In my mind it did get better over time but things seems to be regressing again lately.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

I don't feel that I am drawn to any sort of categorization like this (ironically since I'm on TypeC); when it comes to typical societal roles. What I do is what I want to do, and not really attached to the fact that I was born a certain way.

I think much of what we define as "gender" stems from gender roles, rather than innate desires and instincts. The instinct to mate, to find a partner, and everything to do with that I think is innate. This stems from the nature vs nurture argument.

Meh. Now that technological advances have been made to the point we're at, many gender roles of the past are becoming obsolete. I get very irritated when I hear "That's a man's job" or "You're a guy, you should know how to do X". No... nothing to do with a "man's job" has to do with the fact that I was born with a penis, sorry to break it to you. It especially irritates me when I see women put themselves down and not believe in themselves simply because they are a woman and they "need a man to do this". I understand if physical limitations are a factor, but literally nothing about how you were born can stop you from learning skills or otherwise in life. I think most gender roles are utter bullshit.

I think it's getting better. But to see any real progress as far as general society goes, the older generations will have to die off before we see a lot of real change. Many sexist CEOs or what have you are most likely baby boomers who hold archaic values. We only have to worry about their children who have also been taught these ways. This is due in part also to the fact that most politicians are also in that age range, upholding said archaic values in their office. Until some more open minded people of younger generations become politicians... it's going to be hard to combat a lot of these kinds of issues. For example, in Georgia (USA), they do not recognize that a man can be raped. It goes both ways, there is sexism for both men and women out there.

I pretty much only think about gender when it comes to dating, or my own personal attractions. I am attracted to femininity, and thus, I choose women for who I want to date. But that's about it. I am just as likely to look at someone like they're an idiot for not knowing how to do something "because I'm a woman" as I am to be happy to see people who break these invisible rulers.

Morpeko

Noble Wolf
MBTI Type
LEFV
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Not at all. I don't at all consider the gender I was assigned to be a significant part of my identity. I never think of myself as a "woman" or even a "girl," just a person. I don't even feel comfortable using "she/her" pronouns for myself. Unfortunately, gender does seem to be important to people so I can't escape being described in those ways.

I am very uncomfortable with my body, but mainly because I perceive it to be ugly and weak. I don't think the ugliness has anything to do with gender, but the weakness is because of my size. I guess there is dysphoria, since I am also very disgusted thinking about my sexual organs. I think I may still be dysphoric if I had a penis, though.

No, but sex is.

No, I find it harmful to anyone who doesn't fit into the gender roles, even if they are loose.

No.

I hate it. I hate every concept of it. I especially hate gender roles. I try to avoid thinking of people in terms of their gender (although it's hard for me when I'm sexually attracted to someone).