• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Is Anti Hoarding a disorder?

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

The Opposite of Hoarding?

As long as she can remember, Annabelle Charbit has loathed “stuff.” She hated birthdays because birthdays meant gifts. And gifts meant finding a way to toss them.

At 5 years old, Charbit would sneak toys into her younger brother’s room. By age 10, she was stashing her belongings in alleys around her London neighborhood. At 13, she discovered charity stores, smuggling bags past her parents and out the door.

Personally, I find decluttering therapeutic....but discuss...

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think it would be an issue if the person took action to get rid of other peoples' stuff or if the person was so fixated on it that the concept consumed much of their mental energy (ie it became a chronic ocd type thing that they were preoccupied with every single day; vs simply a lifestyle preference for minimalism, which I think is a very positive thing).

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
If it is, I probably have it in some way. Clutter makes me crazy but anything driven by obsessive thought has the potential to be a problem.

Permabanned
Possessions meant little to Erdős; most of his belongings would fit in a suitcase, as dictated by his itinerant lifestyle. Awards and other earnings were generally donated to people in need and various worthy causes. He spent most of his life as a vagabond, traveling between scientific conferences, universities and the homes of colleagues all over the world.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Erd%C5%91s#Personality

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I am an anti-hoarder. The biggest issue I can see that would make it a disorder is throwing away what you need tomorrow to declutter today to the point where you waste more money then you have to repurchase what's needed.

The less I have the less I end to clean and the less I have to make a mess. So if left to my devise I would have only what's needed for basic day to day. Less clothes forces you to wash more...well...suppose to...does for me. I am very basic because it's to much work to constantly have to put EVERYTHI G away. If you don't use it and have to put it away then you don't really need it

windoverlake

MBTI Type
INFJ
Well, I'm not in semi-darkness, but I do feel and abide by a compulsion to lessen the amount of material possessions I own or keep. The goal is to be able to move from place to place very easily with minimal fuss.

If someone expresses a strong liking or appreciation for something I have and it doesn't hold a deep, personal significance to me, I will give it to them. It's interesting how strong this tendency has become, because as a child I was very greedy and possessive of material possessions.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I think balance is key. If you are doing things to the point where they're becoming inconvenient/nonsensical, putting this priority of no-stuff-or-clutter above other things... like "I don't have an emergency pair of socks because I ONLY NEED 3 PAIRS and now I have no socks because having a 4th pair just is too much" .. I'm going to think there's something a bit off with ya. Especially if you have the space for it.

I mean.. I can see being a minimalist with clothing, but if it's to the point where you're washing clothes constantly and wasting time with laundry for the sole purpose of not having an extra shirt? It seems a little silly.. but not as bad as the sock example.

In this day and age, when people are trying to multi-task and have less-is-more all over the place, reduce their clutter, reject consumerism as much.. there is still a potential for being obsessed with anything. When it starts to interfere with your lifestyle, I think that's the time you ought to question whether it's truly healthy or not. Saying, "No, I cannot go to a festival because they might give me a free t-shirt" sort of thing.. or the birthday example.. ugh. It's crazy. People can just SAY "I'd rather you buy me *literally anything that isn't tangible here*."

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I have this. I hate having a bunch of crap around, so I do everything possible to avoid buying "stuff". Then sometimes I regret it down the road when I've thrown something away that i actually needed.

and I'm probably one of the few girls who actually need more clothes. I have 8 shirts, 8 pants, 8 socks and 8 underwear. 2 jackets. 2 shoes. That's it.

My ISTJ is the same way...we have a 1 br place and we're both grumbling that we don't even need the bedroom and there's nothing in it lol.

I hosted a couchsurfer there and he spazzed out over having a stranger in our apartment, so there's really no use for it.

Dyslexxie

Dope& diamonds.
I can't comment whether it would be a disorder or not, but I know I definitely have the minimalist-to-an-extreme mindset, and I definitely got it from my mom. I go through major 'throwing out' phases, where I get rid of things I don't use frequently multiple times a year, and I HATE getting presents or decorations for the sake of decorations - I like things to be functional and simple. It can certainly be a sign of trying to gain control in your life, because I know that when my 'stuff' situation gets a bit out of hand, I start to feel anxious, powerless, and with a very clouded judgement.

tkae.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Any behavior or consistent thought pattern that causes distress or significant dysfunction in a person's life is a mental disorder, so yes, it would be.