• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Deja Vu

rivercrow

shoshaku jushaku
MBTI Type
type
An article on Yahoo! said that the origin of deja vu has been located.

The brain cranks out memories near its center, in a looped wishbone of tissue called the hippocampus. But a new study suggests only a small chunk of it, called the dentate gyrus, is responsible for "episodic" memories--information that allows us to tell similar places and situations apart. ... Like a computer logging its programs’ activities, the dentate gyrus notes a situation's pattern--its visual, audio, smell, time and other cues for the body's future reference. ... Deja vu is a memory problem, Tonegawa explained, occurring when our brains struggle to tell the difference between two extremely similar situations.

If the dentate gyrus is involved in pattern recognition, could variances in the dentate gyrus account for preferring to notice patterns over noticing details?

Could this also explain why I confuse places that have similar ambiances?

Last edited:

htb

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Associatively, based on what is claimed in the article, that makes sense. Is it also related to what is theorized to be extroverted intuition and introverted sensing? If so, is there a correlation between temperament and an inclination to deja vu?

I experience deja vu infrequently, but often have a kind of pulsing head rush when it does occur; especially when I walk into suggestive rooms. Lately, however, I've been able to identify the prior memory causing the state of mind -- or at least I think I have, but either way the sensation doesn't last for long.

DannyDark

MBTI Type
intp
Actually I´ve had a Deja Vu as i read the title of this thread, because one of my thoughts today was to start a thread called deja vu, since life seems to be an endless rollback most of the time, but at the same i rejected it as a ridiculous, obvious thought, completely worthless at all. Also my english is just embarrassing so i won´t open any threads nor post anything...except this here, because it´s boring and one of these moments where you feel you have to break into something new in order to prevent your life becoming a deja vu

Chaselation

MBTI Type
INTP
Didn't we already do this thread before?

Perhaps I'm lacking some detail or my experience is different. I have Deja Vu rarely but when I do I know almost to the word what people are going to say and or do. Perhaps it has to do with the people I'm with and knowing them well enough to predict their patterned responses. I find it quite surreal knowing what is going to happen before it does and it usually plays out as expected. The sensation ends because I get to excited and loose my channel to my subconscious (for lack of better phrasing) then everything seems normal again.

rivercrow

shoshaku jushaku
MBTI Type
type
So, how many of you have confused places with other places on the basis of ambiance?

For example, when I was 17 I kept confusing a park in Bluefield, West Va, with a park in Greensboro, NC. The two are nothing alike in geography, features, names--but they have the same cozy, welcoming feel.

Last edited:

Natrushka

Pareo cattus
MBTI Type
INTJ
I have moments of Deja vu often - very clear and very detailed ones. I have all my life. No confusing places with other places though. This subject has piqued my curiosity and I did some researching last night - the full study from MIT is worth the read if you're really interested in the subjet.