• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Extraverted HSP (highly sensitive person)

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
HSP's (highly sensitive people) can also be extraverted see this article , which states that "According to Elaine Aron, 30 percent of HSPs are extroverts". More about the subject also here.

Are there any extraverts in here that have experience on this? What do you think about it? What are the challanges you phase as being extraverted and HSP at the same time?

I'd say, accoring to my own experience, that the main problem is this (copied from the second article I referred to):
"Primary among these is the fact that whereas extraverts do get their energy and "charge" from being around people... at the same time, the extraverted HSP also gets overstimulated by too much interaction and activity."

á´…eparted

passages
I am one, but I hate it.

I actively fight against the limitations of HSP, and shirk it every chance I get. I'm a much better person because of it.

Per the article, it fits. In some areas it's dead on. As for the examples/advise, I don't completely agree agree.

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I am one, but I hate it.

I actively fight against the limitations of HSP, and shirk it every chance I get. I'm a much better person because of it.

Per the article, it fits. In some areas it's dead on. As for the examples/advise, I don't completely agree agree.

I have similar feelings that you. I mostly dislike being extraverted HSP because the conflict of wanting to be with people against the anxiety feel when being around people. I have gone from being around of people all of the time to the point of avoiding the company of people because of the anxiety I feel in groups of people. I simply don't know how to solve the problem.

á´…eparted

passages
I have similar feelings that you. I mostly dislike being extraverted HSP because the conflict of wanting to be with people against the anxiety feel when being around people. I have gone from being around of people all of the time to the point of avoiding the company of people because of the anxiety I feel in groups of people. I simply don't know how to solve the problem.

I wish I had a good answer for your problem, I don't really have it. Well, I do (I fight against it) but I suspect that won't work for you or most people. While I agree with you here more or less, I think we have different reasons for hating it.

I hate it because it makes me feel weak, incompetent, and whiney. In particular when I "cave" to it. I shouldn't have to deal with sensory overload, or randomly feeling upset over something trival or pointless. I am certainly not going to outwardly express it. I mostly hate it because it's made out to sound special and something to be celebrated. I disagree. It's something to be worked on. To quote the article (speaking rehtorical to the article):

article said:
Most of the world’s population are extroverts, so it can be tempting to bury your sensitive side to feel like part of the group. As a highly sensitive person, you have special needs. Give yourself opportunities to express your true feelings and the unique way you see the world, whether that’s through talking with others or through a creative outlet.

D'awww, do you want a cookie and star for trying? Grow up. I am much better off now because I bury my sensitive side when I am part of a group. It gives me more opertunities to interact with people, advance my career, and outwardly enjoy life. It's called growing a backbone. Can't do it? You're not trying hard enough. What I hate so much about HSP is articles and work on it suggests people should embrace it and feel "special" because of it. It's nothing more than feel good bullshit lies and special snowflake-y on something that is detrimental. Why on earth should anyone feel "special" because of it? What people need to do is grow up and learn to deal. The world is a difficult place and you either put up or get out. I don't need to embrace it, what I need is to work around it and not let it rule or command me.

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I wish I had a good answer for your problem, I don't really have it. Well, I do (I fight against it) but I suspect that won't work for you or most people. While I agree with you here more or less, I think we have different reasons for hating it.

I hate it because it makes me feel weak, incompetent, and whiney. In particular when I "cave" to it. I shouldn't have to deal with sensory overload, or randomly feeling upset over something trival or pointless. I am certainly not going to outwardly express it. I mostly hate it because it's made out to sound special and something to be celebrated. I disagree. It's something to be worked on. To quote the article (speaking rehtorical to the article):

I actually had the same feelings of hating to be "soft" and vulnerable. I wanted to be strong and not sensitive for many years to the point when I thought my MBTI type was ESTJ (because I simply didn't approve my sensitive side and I hated it). These days I've approved myself as I am, althought it's still problematic to be an extraverted HSP. I think approving yourself is quite important. It doesn't mean that you couldn't or shouldn't try to improve those sides in yourself that need to be improved (like learning to be less sensitive).

D'awww, do you want a cookie and star for trying? Grow up. I am much better off now because I bury my sensitive side when I am part of a group. It gives me more opertunities to interact with people, advance my career, and outwardly enjoy life. It's called growing a backbone. Can't do it? You're not trying hard enough. What I hate so much about HSP is articles and work on it suggests people should embrace it and feel "special" because of it. It's nothing more than feel good bullshit lies and special snowflake-y on something that is detrimental. Why on earth should anyone feel "special" because of it? What people need to do is grow up and learn to deal. The world is a difficult place and you either put up or get out. I don't need to embrace it, what I need is to work around it and not let it rule or command me.

We are not fairy-beings, no. ;) But I do actually think being HSP has it's advantages. Being sensitive helps to understand people. I connect to people extremely well. I've learned to keep people in some distance and if I'm able to keep them there, I'll do just fine. I have grown myself a backbone. Living and working with T-people has actually helped me a lot.

I would think that men with HSP have quite definitely more problems than women with HSP because HSP traits are probably more related to "general" female attributes.

Bush

cute lil war dog
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Oh, snap. So, feeling compelled to put oneself out there but very much fearing the feedback. Feeling compelled to be around -- and involved with -- other people, which triggers that empathy on an off-the-charts level. Is that about the long and short of it?

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I have a friend who's an ENFP (297 or some variant of that tritype, and probably so/sx) who is INCREDIBLY HSP, and what she has to do is create and maintain strong rules for herself about what she can and cannot do. She can't eat particular food or drink particular drinks. She can't watch intense movies (not even action movies!). She can't read certain types of articles. She has to have days where all she does is curl up in a ball under blankets and watch kid's shows. I think this kind of drives her crazy, being an ENFP, but she makes a point of allowing herself spontaneity in every other area.