• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Plastic surgery

MBTI Type
*NF*
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I am curious to read your opinion facing the subject of plastic surgery.

What would you change if you dared ? OR why are you against it ?

Do you have a special and personal opinion about this medical subject directly in touch with the image one has about herself/himself ?

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I try really hard to be non-judgmental about plastic surgery. But in the end it always ends up feeling unnatural and sort of unsettling to me.

the exception is accidents and scarring and the like. Maybe congenital syndromes which produce physical malformations. I guess I'd make that decision if and when I got there.

Final answer: whatever, do what you want.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I think plastic surgery is pretty useful. It's proven excellent for hiding my reptilian features from the rest of the populace. Things have gone well enough for us that there is no longer any need to keep it a secret, but having to shed those scales during molting season was annoying.

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I would say: If you don't like something and you can change it then go ahead, especially if the change doesn't harm others. At the same time don't care much about others' opinion that is mostly negative in this context. Common sense is a huge obstacle in many cases even when it isn't reasonable.

I'm not in need of plastic surgery but I still think it's awesome that it can change for example a very ugly nose and it can improve injuries coming from accidents. Of course there are some people who treat plastic surgery as a sport, to me it feels a bit sick when someone tries to shape herself into a copy of the barbie doll. :D

SD45T-2

Senior Jr.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Maybe congenital syndromes which produce physical malformations. I guess I'd make that decision if and when I got there.
My mom is going to need plastic surgery because her ptosis is starting to interfere with her vision. :nerd: And thanks to the fact that I got her genes instead of my dad's, I'll probably need it too when I get older.

Jaguar

If someone wants it, then go for it. It's their body.

Flâneuse

don't ask me
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't see anything wrong with it if a person has a feature they think is out of proportion and they would feel better about their appearance by changing it. I don't regret my nose job at age 18 at all; I felt my nose was truly out of harmony with the rest of my features, I was very self-conscious about it, and changing it helped me to stop obsessing over my looks.

What I dislike is seeing people overdoing it and unrealistically trying to look like someone else - to fit some Barbie-esque cookie cutter beauty standard. That's when people get addicted to plastic surgery, never satisfied after their latest procedure, because the problem is really with their self-image, not their body or face. It's also sad to see people trying to erase their ethnic features because society sends them the message that European-looking features are more desirable, such as East Asians getting double eyelid surgery and jaw narrowing and black people getting their noses reshaped to look narrower with a more prominent bridge.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I think it can be really helpful for some people. Same with having work (cosmetic or otherwise) on teeth, hair, wardrobe. It really depends on the motivation and the reason. The ones who get addicted to it (and I think some definitely do) is where the issue is. I'd have liposuction done on a couple small problem areas, right now. I've had a breast reduction and I don't regret it for a second.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I see no issue with plastic surgery - for reconstructive reasons, or simply cosmetic. Yes, it'd be a wonderful life and world if we all could shut off our insecurities and ignore superficial judgements, but we're human. If you change things about yourself, within reason, and safely- and it makes you feel better for the longterm - you're enhancing your quality of life. It's no one else's place to judge that. They can't possibly measure or understand another individual's definition for 'quality of life,' and it's obnoxious to assume one can.

Of course, extremes are always bad news. The motivation is key. If there's a serious psych disorder in the mix - body dysmorphic disorder, etc, surgeons need to exercise caution so that people don't endanger themselves repeatedly going under the knife.

I've had plastic surgery (reconstructive) a total of 5 times on my face to correct disfiguring scars from an infection that could've killed me. The original scars looked like someone had taken a large chisel & lobbed off hunks of my face. Some areas from the infection were still so chronically inflamed that they simply couldn't heal at all, and needed to be removed. The surgeon cut out the scar tissue & active areas, & simply brought the 2 new edges together to create new scars that were subtle, thin lines. I'm extremely happy with the results.

I do think there are some incompetent & unethical surgeons out there who upsell more procedures to their wealthy cosmetic patients. That's likely why you'll see someone who's had one too many facelifts (skin's too tight/shiny/brows too high, etc), or they've gotten a bunch of injections, which create the trout pout & pillow-face effect. It's unfortunate, so if you ever do explore cosmetic plastic surgery, it's probably wise to do research on the doctor - as well as set boundaries for what you want done, & do research yourself on what each procedure entails.

As far as cosmetic surgery goes - if I had tons of money to throw around on that - the only thing I could see myself correcting would be if I developed loose skin at the chin/neck/jawline. I'd just get it removed. My mom's begun to get that- she's 52 - but no one else in the family has it. She was also a longtime sunbather/smoker, though. And worked at a job where she spent a lot of time at a desk (apparently some new phenomenon my surgeon called 'computer face' is happening to younger people, due to constantly looking down - turkey neck/jowls are forming earlier in people). I've got good posture/hate the sun/never smoke, so I may never get that sort of ptosis. If I did, & I had the money, I'd correct it. Procedure is minimally invasive.

Beyond that, I couldn't see myself bothering. Injections seem like a waste of money, with a high likelihood of poor results. I don't like my nose (it seems bulbous at the end to me) - but I'd never alter it surgically due to the risks of a botched rhinoplasty. Fucking up your nose can ruin vocal resonance (for singing and stuff), breathing, sleeping.. just not worth it.

So.. yeah.. I've no moral qualms about plastic surgery. So long as the person getting it is in a healthy state at the time, & their surgeon is competent/ethical, then there's no issue in my mind.

Hitoshi-San

MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
???
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I think in some cases, it's a great thing. There have been people who've been in accidents or gotten attacked by wild animals and their faces would have been ruined, and the person themself may have even been unable to live their life how they normally would because of their injuries, had they not been able to get plastic surgery.

If someone is unhappy or insecure with part of their body, or if they had to have surgery on an area of their body that could have totally changed their look possibly for the worst, it, again, can make someone that much happier with themself.

Sure, there are also consequences. If you get a boob job, the saline balloons can cause serious infections if they aren't replaced or managed properly. If you get your nose done (or really anything else) a piece of packing could be left behind and cause an equally nasty infection.

It's not my body though, so I don't think it's for me to judge whether people should get it or not if it will help them or make them feel more confident, just so long as they aren't hurting themselves.

Riva

Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I am okay with it. However, I think each one of us have a responsibility to be honest to our partner under circumstance of getting married.

I would like to have surgery myself if I have money. :D

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w5
I don't like fake people. Unless someone was mutilated, I don't have sympathy. Do what you want with your body, but don't expect me to like you for being fake.

senza tema

nunc rosa cras fex
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
People can do what they want with their own bodies ... I'm not gonna lie, I do kinda tend to gawk when people carry things really far, like the human Barbie or Ken doll, it is morbidly fascinating to me.

It's not something I would do myself (unless I had a disfiguring accident or illness) ... primarily because I might very well fall into this mental rabbit hole of wanting to change everything about how I look. I don't always like how I look but I think I'm better off making peace with it to a certain extent rather than seeking to fix it through surgery.

Destiny

A wannabe dog
The only time I would go for plastic surgery is if I am disfigured badly in a car accident. Otherwise, why bother?

Even if I were to go for a plastic surgery, I'll still grow old one day and I'll still get all those wrinkles. Beauty doesn't last forever, what's the point?

I would rather spend time developing my inner beauty. At least, inner beauty is something that doesn't change over time, unlike outer beauty.

fetus

Enneagram
6w7
Who am I to tell you what you can and cannot do? :shrug:

But really, I think it would be important to consider one's motivations for doing so. If there's something you don't like about yourself, I'd first try to practice self-acceptance. We all have so many flaws. We can chase the dream of perfection, or we can learn to love our imperfections as part of our unique selves. Again, though, it's your choice, and I'm not gonna judge you for it.

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w5
I am okay with it. However, I think each one of us have a responsibility to be honest to our partner under circumstance of getting married.

I would like to have surgery myself if I have money. :D

This is cruel. Those poor kids aren't wanted by their dickhead father.