User Tag List

123 Last

Default How do you hold typology?

Is it an interest that you share deeply with others, or is it something that you are semi-guarded and cautious with? How often is it on your mind, and how often and to what depth are you willing to speak about it.

But anyways, how do you treat your understanding of typology in real life? How do you choose who and when and if to ever share it? Ever gotten someone to take a test, or spur any interest in anyone else? Have you ever wanted to or did you just feel too connected to the understandings that you had arrived at yourself, the 'knowledge' that you had built up. Is typology an individual thing to deal with the masses of daily life, to remove yourself from them and examine them from afar? What is it to you?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

i've talked about it with people i thought might be interested in it, had a few people take the tests, etc. but it's not something i talk about on a regular basis. my boyfriend really hates it, he'll listen to me talk about astrology but when i tried to read an enneagram description once he was offended. he doesn't like the idea of being categorized at all, and a lot of people feel this way. or just think it's boring.

i really don't take it that seriously, it's more of a mental game to me. although i guess the way they frame different ways of thinking has been useful in understanding other people's motivations. identifying myself as a Fi user, an Ne user, a 4, etc just gives a name to the ways that i can relate to someone else.
    4w5-7w6-1w9
    rebel moral
    astro
    Likes N/A, senza tema liked this post

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 so/sp

I've yet to meet anyone willing to acknowledge its potential utility outside of a "scientific and empirical" basis so for the most part I keep it to myself. If someone ever expresses an interest beyond the tests, I'm sure I'll be able to shamelessly ramble about it.

Typology is a name given to MBTI under legal threat for business reasons.

So the question becomes, how do you hold MBTI?

Well I hold MBTI the same way an astronomer holds astrology, the same way a chemist holds alchemy, the same way a mathematician holds gambling, the same way the medical profession holds alternative therapy, the same way a biologist holds creationism. In fact I hold MBTI in the same way a psychometrician holds MBTI.

Guardian of Ga'Hoole Julius_Van_Der_Beak's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

And yet, without astrology, there would be no astronomy. Without no alchemy, there would be no chemistry. Without gambling (commerce), there would be no math.

I have changed my mind on Freud, though. He's interesting. The Oedipus complex is an interesting idea.
    A path is made by walking on it.

-Zhuangzi

Likes N/A, Hawthorne liked this post

MBTI is a fun way to think about people. I treat it like a toy. Fun to think about and use, can occasionally be useful, but at the end of the day there are much more important things.

I almost never think about it off the forums unless it's brought up.
    It is our duty to create meaning.

If only it were that simple.

Enneagram
    6w7

I used to be pretty vocal about my interest, but then I got embarrassed with how interested I was. So I took a break for awhile, then I started getting back into it about the time I joined this site. My typology interest is honestly a deep secret of mine. I don't know why I feel that way about it, but I do. It's really weird. When people talk about it, I pretend that I don't know much about it. But usually that's because I'm in groups or something. If, in a one-on-one situation, somebody told me they were super into it, I would be delighted to discuss it.

I secretly type everyone I know ( @Luke O had it right guessing this awhile ago). It's a fun thing to play around with in my mind. But I don't put too much stock in it, really. Not something that would ever influence any decision I'd make. Just a side hobby/dirty little secret.
    xxx
    Likes Sunny Ghost liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
    And yet, without astrology, there would be no astronomy. Without no alchemy, there would be no chemistry. Without gambling (commerce), there would be no math.
    This is true, yet astronomy shows that astrology is factually wrong and a mere superstition, and chemistry shows alchemy was mistaken and a also a superstition, and mathematics shows that there is no such thing as luck in gambling and is another superstition. And biology shows that creationism is simply wrong and is another superstition. And psychometrics shows MBTI is not a reliable or valid personality test and is yet another superstition.

So the only interesting question is, why are we so superstitious in the 21st Century?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    So the only interesting question is, why are we so superstitious in the 21st Century?
    Something something Man and His Symbols something something human fascination with the arcane and unknown something something.
    Likes Patrick, Sunny Ghost liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

I find it very interesting, and I like learning about the different ways that people think, but I don't subscribe to it as a way of predicting human behavior. Also, I think humans are too complex to be pigeonholed into just sixteen types. I know too many people who don't fit just one type description -- including myself. I think people lead with different preferences, but that's all they are. People of any type can learn to develop any function. Some functions just come more naturally than others.

And I would never use typology to favor or discriminate against someone. People aren't their types.
    Likes N/A, cascadeco liked this post