• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How do you hold typology?

I've been into typology since I was a teenager. It's a recurring interest, one that was semi-recently rejuvenated by a friend who is also into typology.

I like typology because it brings order to what is supposedly chaotic. People can seem chaotic until you realise that they're governed in some way by some written rule. Typology is one of those ways to make sense of the chaos that other people can be.

I tend to type characters and people around me almost instinctively. It makes people more comprehensible. Perhaps it means that they can be dealt with on their own level once they are typed, because there is some sort of guideline to help you create some kind of understanding towards them. The types that I'm not equipped to deal with, usually Ne, Fe and Se dominants, I tend to let them do as they please and move on. While I can sympathise with Ne dominants, they are far too chaotic for me. Se dominants are even more incomprehensible. Fe dominants are understandable in a conceptual way, but tiring to work with. I like Ni, Ti, and Fi dominants; I can understand them easily. Si dominants are the most reliable people you'll ever meet. I like reliable; it saves me effort and energy. Te dominants are also understandable, probably because Te is in my stack, even if it is weak, and I value it very much. Ti dominants can be just as principled as Fi dominants, although in a different way, so I have respect for them as well.

KKB78

Permabanned
I think of it as the best fit line a handful of old people drew up to describe some of what is there some of the time for people who need words to work through things
I don't believe it's capable of hitting a moving target yet but it could be if mathematics became involved
Encorporating the scientific method into typing has already proved to be capable of illciting more representation of some of what is there in individuals from one of the systems at least (Objective Personality on JCF)
I think of typing myself and others as forming a hypothesis and not a definitive "answer" language moves around a lot and by virtue of trying to describe the personality of someone through language this moves around a lot too
This is potentially a tool (some of it has helped me track and become more aware of patterns in myself at least) at most and an interesting thing to play around with at least
I actually don't think most people need to know their type as in it likely would do nothing for them other than potentially stress them out a little for a bit by showing them too much too up front if we're talking about enneagram at least there's a reason Naranjo originally didn't intend it for the public at first
Because of the hypothetical nature of a typing in my eyes I think becoming attached to a type as a way to garner a psuedo-identity is putting one's eggs in the wrong basket because like I said at any point this isn't going to give anyone a definitive answer this is about forming a hypothesis
Identity is a choice and a responsibility we cannot pawn off onto anything or anyone else

It would be especially suffocating to have to be confined to one type for the enterity of one's life
Just thinking about it sounds horrifying, not being able to transform
Almost like being frozen and limited to what you are now until you die

There isn't much type has left to offer me emotionally but intellectually I feel as if our relationship is still pretty fresh--just beginning

Mole

Permabanned

Mole

Permabanned
Intimacy is a problem for the narcissist, for intimacy reveals their false self, and if there is anything a narcissist hates is their false self being exposed.

I remember one of my first narcissists: we were walking alone down to the playing field, and I made the mistake of laughing at his false self. And without pause, and without saying anything, this narcissist punched me in my face.

By laughing at the false self of the narcissist, the narcissist lost face, and naturally replied by punching me in the face.

And once bitten, twice shy, so I don't now make the mistake of laughing at the false self of narcissists.

Narcissists hate to be laughed at they will defend their false self at almost any cost.

The cult of mbti is popular because it is such a good defence of our false self. And intimacy is a avoided by an avalanche of triviality.

Saturnal Snowqueen

Solastalgia 𓍊𓋼𓍊𓋼𓍊
MBTI Type
FELV
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
In real life, it's sort of an awkward topic for me, despite it being one of my biggest passions. I've only really brought it up to my family in passing, because they've seen me reading about it and asked what the hell it was. It's not as easy talking about what functions are and what triadic relations are and quadras are to your parents as it is people on the internet. I really wish I had more people in real life to talk about it, but at the same time it's something I hold super close and it's my special little niche. I love it so much that in my brain it's become my modus operandi, so there's a certain vulnerability I feel when talking about it. It's a modus operandi in that I type everyone I see, as well as evaluate my actions and see if they're congruent of my type of the week. I type inhuman things and fictional characters and play with patterns in my head like correlations between types and what type is most likely to do this and what behaviors can make one type look like another. I really want to get my family to take a test, but that vulnerability is what stops me from doing that and I'm not sure how interested they'd actually act.

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
I keep seeing this bumped and I keep thinking of how effing awkwardly I worded this and cringing.

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
-
Typology is a new perception to me that somehow enlights me the true nature of people that they themselves may not be aware of nor care to know. It is like an important psychological life lesson to me who had previously made many mistaken assumptions about people. Jung Typology teaches me that human has a natural given characters that if not lived by will harm the psychological well being of the type. I adopt typology perspective to be my : 1 job compass like which job I should apply to, 2 education compass: to determine which subject I should focus on 3 how to effectively interact with people (like I learnt that sensor types tend not really care nor want to talk about anything theoretical, so better not to ask them to talk about it). Typology also gives some insight about psychic energy that gives me answers to my question: why people can carry out certain activities more than others, hence consequently get better and better in that but some don't. The true potential of typology is great. In the past, Jung must have got helped in his psychotherapy With his typological perception. But, Typology can also be used to do more than just treating the psychopathic patients in the future.
Sometimes I notice that people demand something to others but don't really know typologically the person asked can really provide what is asked or not. This usually leads to frustration from the demmander. A spesific example would be My mother often quarell with my sister because of cancelled schedule and sometimes even demands that next time when she made schedule she must do as scheduled.
Person who doesn't study typology will not have a direction to what career they should undertake taking into account their types. My sister who is a sensor types (ISTP) also doesn't study typology seriously. She is not able to predict whether a job position is suitable for her or not. She keeps expecting that she will land a job in Engineering, due to her educational background and professional working experience in Engineering , without taking into account her type which is an artist (SP) and mistakenly neglect the fact that she had routinely drawn manga for 13 years and even sometimes won drawing competition, before going 5 years in university to study engineering.

Last edited:

Luminous

༻✧✧༺
MBTI Type
Iᑎᖴᑭ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
maternal-rachel-green.gif

MaxMad244

MBTI Type
INTJ
Is it an interest that you share deeply with others, or is it something that you are semi-guarded and cautious with? How often is it on your mind, and how often and to what depth are you willing to speak about it.

But anyways, how do you treat your understanding of typology in real life? How do you choose who and when and if to ever share it? Ever gotten someone to take a test, or spur any interest in anyone else? Have you ever wanted to or did you just feel too connected to the understandings that you had arrived at yourself, the 'knowledge' that you had built up. Is typology an individual thing to deal with the masses of daily life, to remove yourself from them and examine them from afar? What is it to you?

I find this question very telling in how a person answers it.

For me, I live in a world, internally and externally, where without some basis in reality one must be very careful not to be painted as a superstitious or reckless individual. Think of a wallstreet banker who uses astrology. Would such a person command respect? Maybe...but most likely not among his peers.

We frequently hear that JP Morgan used astrologers...or that billionaires use astrologers. The truth is, they do not. Astrology, in its infinite wisdom, can never ever be used for prognostication. At best it is a tool for wisdom and self-discovery.

I hold typology way above astrology with respects to having some fundamental basis in reality that is testable and apparent. If I keep astrology in my underwear and only take it out at night to play with when nobody is looking on a lonely odd Saturday night, I hold typology in my pocket and pull it out like a badge on occasion. I don't rub it in people's faces but I can discuss it from time to time without having my reputation murdered to kingdom come. I can just pull it out, flash it, maybe get a couple of ooh's and ahh's and then stuff back in quickly before things get heavy.

That being said, it is a limited theory in its formation after Jung. Jung left it flexible, and robust, but the mmbti that came after crystalized the image of a four fold personality structure which sealed its doom....but we should never throw out the baby with the bathwater, and we should never throw the bathwater out during a famine.