• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Self harm, more prevalent in certain types?

DreamBeliever

For all you guys that have recovered from this, I'm so happy for you. You guys are an inspiration. For everyone else that still suffers too, I'm sorry to hear that. I want to thank all of you for your courage in sharing, nonetheless.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I knew an ESTP guy that had cuts all along one arm and cigarette burns on the other. he flaunted them and talked about it all the time.

/not type related
There are two opposite types of self-harming, and this is one end of the spectrum. Some people use it as identity, and most often they are connected to a sub-culture that uses it to demonstrate authenticity, like back in the days of the punks. Perhaps goths and emo would be included. It can be used to show you have mastery over pain, so excessive piercings, especially in painful places, scars, cuts, etc. all show that you are tough.

The second type is highly secretive and connected with feelings of shame. For these people, even closest relatives might not guess it is going on.

I agree that one must be careful about connecting this to type because I think other demographic parameters are more compelling indicators. That being said I suspect it is possible for there to be some types a bit more inclined towards one or the other of these two separate types of self-harming behaviors. There might be a connection to Se, but I'm not certain. The flaunting style of self-harm could be connected to experiencing the most intense sensation?