• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Are You Racist? You May Just Be According To This New List

Xann

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Do you have several black friends, compliment people of color, and think that America is a melting pot?.....You're a racist, according to the University of Wisconsin - Stevens Point.

Do you have several black friends, compliment people of color, and think that America is a melting pot?

You’re a racist.

That’s according to the University of Wisconsin (Stevens Point) “Examples of Racial Microaggressions,” a list of discouraged phrases and behaviors that are being given to new faculty and staff.

I’m not making this up. This isn’t a spoof or a hoax. You can visit the official University of Wisconsin website and see this for yourself.

Here’s an actual list of things that according to the University of Wisconsin are racist;

– Asking someone where they are from or where they were born.

– Telling someone they speak good English.

– Telling someone that you have several black friends.

– Saying that you’re not a racist.

– Complimenting an Asian person by telling them they are very articulate.

– Asking an Asian person for help with science or math.

– Uttering the phrase “There is only one race, the human race.”

– Saying that you think America is a melting pot and that when you look at someone you don’t see race.

– Believing that the most qualified person, regardless of race, should get the job.

– Thinking that every person, regardless of race, can succeed in society if they work hard enough.

– Telling a black person who is being too loud to be quiet.

– Telling an Asian or Latino person who is too quiet to speak up.

– Mistaking a person of color for a staff member when you’re in a store.

– Calling something “gay”.

– Doing an impression of someone’s dialect or accent.

University of Wisconsin (Stevens Point) told the College Fix that the words and behaviors are not banned per se, but acknowledged that this list is being used in faculty and staff training courses.

The list is also very similar to one being used for faculty training at the University of California and other colleges across the country.

So there you have it, you’re a racist. And don’t try and deny the fact that you’re a racist because, as the list above illustrates, that only proves you’re a racist.

See the full list below.

mciroaggressions.jpg

tkae.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
We're all inherently racist to a degree. Thoughts that are racist are a natural part of being human, and stereotyping is inherent to the process by which we learn about the world (categorizing things into schemas and prototypes that we adjust as we experience the world more).

It also doesn't help that there are mutually incompatible theories about what's "racist". Example from the list:

– Saying that you think America is a melting pot and that when you look at someone you don’t see race.

– Believing that the most qualified person, regardless of race, should get the job.

You can't treat everyone equally without being racist according to those.

Also:

– Telling a black person who is being too loud to be quiet.

– Telling an Asian or Latino person who is too quiet to speak up.

Those are just stupid. If someone's being disruptive to the point someone needs to say something, that's not racist. And if you can't understand someone because they're too quiet, that's also not racist. Treating them differently because of what race they are IS racist. "They're talking so low I can't understand what they're saying, but they're Asian so I can't say anything."

That's absolutely racist.

But back to the first point, if we can't agree on what the ideal is and have differing views on what's racist and what isn't racist, then it's just stupid to say someone is racist or not.

BadOctopus

Suave y Fuerte
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This study is racist.

Actually, it's just stupid.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
meh, if one has to walk on eggshells in order to communicate with a person of another race, no friendship ain't gonna happen

way to promote racial segregation

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
meh, if one has to walk on eggshells in order to communicate with a person of another race, no friendship ain't gonna happen

way to promote racial segregation

That's actually my tinfoil hat theory. A lot of this kind of stuff has roots in ideas first formulated in the 1980's, a time when there was a conservative backlash against the changes of the late 60's and 70's.

This was the 1984 election map:

1984PresElect.jpg

Anyway, I'm off.

Tin_foil_hat_2.jpg

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
This study is racist.

Actually, it's just stupid.

I dunno, I think a lot of the points have merit. I've had this one happen to me a few times before:

– Complimenting an Asian person by telling them they are very articulate.

I guess I'll never look American enough if I'm not white. Actually hell, I AM white (mixed) I just don't pass as white enough. :laugh: One time I was at a bar and someone told me to "go back to Asia." I was like, "why son? I've never been there in the first place. Get outta my face before I go New York-style on your scrawny ass." Idiot. :dry:

These ones bothers me too. Ignoring the fact that humans are a SPECIES, the phrase is only used by stupid white people who refuse to acknowledge when people of another race are hurting due to race-specific circumstances. Whether or not they're actually racist is more circumstantial though. But there are better ways to say "I treat people equally but also acknowledge how people have faced certain struggles based on their identity" imo.

This is another circumstantial one. I see this quote being used a lot to defend movies with a predominantly white cast. When you start to realize people use this philosophy to mostly defend white people you kinda get what the point is.

– Calling something “gay”.

This one though I'm just like ????? (although I do love watching straights get uncomfortable when I catch them in the act)

This word isn't that big of an issue for me but why lump in homophobia with racism? There's a big issue with racism among white gays already, we don't need studies reinforcing the idea that since they're oppressed they can't oppress others.

But yeah, in the end I see where these are coming from but they need more of an explanation and in what situations saying them promotes a racist ideology.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Somebody made an ethnic slur to me once over the phone at work. I couldn't tell them "this is offensive to me, please stop" (which doesn't work anyway).
Oppression olympics needs to die. It's counterproductive nonsense that does nothing to actually fix problems.

Luke O

Super Ape
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
WHY DOES THIS GUY HAVE TO SHOUT ON HIS VIDEO?

OK so one guy says a bunch of stuff of stuff is racist, and this other one guy goes on about it in his video. So this story is about two guys. I don't care.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

OK so one guy says a bunch of stuff of stuff is racist, and this other one guy goes on about it in his video. So this story is about two guys. I don't care.

Because.

Feels over reals.

- - - Updated - - -

Because the feels. You don't know the power of the feels!

Luke O

Super Ape
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Because.

Feels over reals.

- - - Updated - - -

Because the feels. You don't know the power of the feels!

DON'T TELL ME ABOUT THE FEELS! YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND NOBODY UNDERSTANDS :boohoo::tantrum:

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
DON'T TELL ME ABOUT THE FEELS! YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND NOBODY UNDERSTANDS :boohoo::tantrum:

I an the only one with the power of the feels. Your feels does not count because ..... reasons.

Raffaella

bon vivant
Asking someone where they are from or where they were born.

I live in an area that lacks ethnic diversity and I loathe this question. It's indirectly disclosing that the questioner believes the other person is an outsider; it's passive-aggressive, rude and not at all as tolerant as the questioner perceive themselves as.

Riva

Enneagram
7w8
^

Ooo probably the findings do have a point and they aren't stupid. I guess you have to be a minority to realize these things.

This one is funnier -

Seconds 23 - same thing was told to me twice in this forum by two dudes. Same thing!!!

senza tema

nunc rosa cras fex
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
^

Ooo probably the findings do have a point and they aren't stupid. I guess you have to be a minority to realize these things.

This one is funnier -

I genuinely want to know why people find them stupid. In a manner that doesn't lazily resort to calling other people weak/humorless/easily offended/overly PC/SJWs.

Riva

Enneagram
7w8
USA still kinda has a problem accepting the fact that there is a large number of Afros (who have contributed a shit ton to the American culture) and Native Americans are living in the country who are part of it, so it would be a long long time till us indian folks, the chinese folk or the arabs folk are accepted as americans.

The good news is we are not getting shot YET for jay walking.

I genuinely want to know why people find them stupid. In a manner that doesn't lazily resort to calling other people weak/humorless/easily offended/overly PC/SJWs.

I think what she meant was that the findings were stupid or isn't based on facts or perhaps that it's stereotyping to say that all people who say these are racist.

Maybe I am wrong, maybe she think people who get offended by these are weak and humourless.

The video Blobfish posted was funny though. Perhaps it's wrong cus it takes the issue at hand away. 'Someone made a slight racist remark or insensitive gender stereotype and you got offended? Grow up!' is the message it kinda gives. But it's funny anyway. :D

senza tema

nunc rosa cras fex
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
USA still kinda has a problem accepting the fact that there is a large number of Afros (who have contributed a shit ton to the American culture) and Native Americans living in the country who are part of it, so it would be a long long time till us indian folks, the chinese folk or the arabs folk are accepted as americans.

The good news is we are not getting shot YET for jay walking.

I think what she meant was that the findings were stupid or isn't based on facts or perhaps that it's stereotyping to say that all people who say these are racist.

Maybe I am wrong, maybe she think people who get offended by these are weak and humourless.

The video Blobfish posted was funny though. Perhaps it's wrong cus it takes the issue at hand away. 'Someone made a slight racist remark or insensitive gender stereotype and you got offended? Grow up!' is the message it kinda gives. But it's funny anyway. :D

I should add here that I don't feel personally offended if people ask me how come my English is good (I explain why), tell me I'm very articulate (yes, that is factually correct) or ask me to help with their math/science homework. I like to explain why or to what degree those things are true so that they'll go away knowing a little bit more about me as a person.

To think, however, that these habits and behaviors don't stem from ignorance about race and racism is really naive.

So those of you who are kneejerk calling this list stupid ... sorry, y'all. Try thinking it out this time and maybe you'll do better. :D