• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Are You Racist? You May Just Be According To This New List

Jaguar

I do impressions of British accents from time to time.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I think what she meant was that the findings were stupid or isn't based on facts or perhaps that it's stereotyping to say that all people who say these are racist.

Yeah. I think her issue was less that racism doesn't exist or is over, but that it's pretty dumb to say that anyone who calls America a melting pot is racist.

BadOctopus

Suave y Fuerte
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
How/why is it stupid?
Well, not all of it is stupid. Certainly you shouldn't assume someone is good at math because they're Asian, or call something "gay" -- although I'm not sure what that has to do with racism.

But how does telling a black person who is being loud to be quiet make a person racist? What if they really are being loud and disruptive? Ignoring it would be giving them preferential treatment, which would be racist.

Also, unless you go around collecting them to make you seem accepting of other races, I don't see how having black friends (or friends of another race than your own) could be considered racist. What if you live in a predominantly black neighborhood, or an area where you were the minority? Are you supposed to avoid them, and only make friends with people of your own race?

And then there's this:

– Believing that the most qualified person, regardless of race, should get the job.

– Thinking that every person, regardless of race, can succeed in society if they work hard enough.
How is this racist? Isn't this just being impartial?

chubber

failed poetry slam career
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
So you can ask them where they are from, but not where they were born?

:thinking:

chubber

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm just wondering, so in this scenario, if a police officer who happens to be African-American, approaches an African-American kid, asking where this person is from. Is going to make the African-American police officer a racist?

edit: [MENTION=22264]jscrothers[/MENTION] help me out here.

chubber

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I guess I'll never look American enough if I'm not white. Actually hell, I AM white (mixed) I just don't pass as white enough. :laugh: One time I was at a bar and someone told me to "go back to Asia." I was like, "why son? I've never been there in the first place. Get outta my face before I go New York-style on your scrawny ass." Idiot. :dry:
So when you are out side of your country and the 1000th person said, right after you speak. You're American right? Are you going to feel hurt by that too? How long does it take to turn something from, "hey finally someone saw me for being an American" instead of non-white, to ... well pain?

edit: I'm going here with the "too much candy" concept, from happy to sad, "too much of a good thing", "be careful what you wish for". Any other sayings that mirrors this?

senza tema

nunc rosa cras fex
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well, not all of it is stupid. Certainly you shouldn't assume someone is good at math because they're Asian, or call something "gay" -- although I'm not sure what that has to do with racism.

OK, so there are some things we agree on.

But how does telling a black person who is being loud to be quiet make a person racist? What if they really are being loud and disruptive? Ignoring it would be giving them preferential treatment, which would be racist.

When the dominant group gets to define what "loud and disruptive" is, they can flex that definition any way they like to get people they don't want to hear to shut up.

Also, unless you go around collecting them to make you seem accepting of other races, I don't see how having black friends (or friends of another race than your own) could be considered racist. What if you live in a predominantly black neighborhood, or an area where you were the minority? Are you supposed to avoid them, and only make friends with people of your own race?

You missed the point. It's not about having black friends; it's about calling attention to it as evidence of your "Look at me, I'm so tolerant!" card.

And then there's this:

– Believing that the most qualified person, regardless of race, should get the job.

– Thinking that every person, regardless of race, can succeed in society if they work hard enough.

How is this racist? Isn't this just being impartial?

Sure, in a world where everyone starts off with the same circumstances.

But even leaving that aside, statements like that, which appear to promote reasonable meritocracy, are often motivated by discomfort with the idea of social mobility and disruptions of the status quo. The term "micro-aggression" is really not misplaced here.

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
So when you are out side of your country and the 1000th person said, right after you speak. You're American right? Are you going to feel hurt by that too? How long does it take to turn something from, "hey finally someone saw me for being an American" instead of non-white, to ... well pain?

I can't even tell what you're trying to ask here.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
senza tema said:
You missed the point The term "micro-aggression" is really not misplaced here.

How do I know this post isn't a microaggression? And how do we know someone can't misuse the concept as a way of acquiring power and status? Given those rules of not being able to question an accusation, there is no way to guard against that. It's then a question of ethics.

senza tema

nunc rosa cras fex
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
How do I know this post isn't a microaggression? And how do we know someone can't misuse the concept as a way of acquiring power and status?

You might want to mix up your repertoire a bit.

Xann

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
How do I know this post isn't a microaggression? And how do we know someone can't misuse the concept as a way of acquiring power and status? Given those rules of not being able to question an accusation, there is no way to guard against that. It's then a question of ethics.

That is very unlikely since you're a white male and your mere existence is a microaggression.

Professor Blames Whites For Her Menstrual Problems | The Daily Caller

Yes, self-hate, just what you're supposed to feel, you bad bad man you. Remember, the feels are for reals and passed into law now.

BadOctopus

Suave y Fuerte
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
When the dominant group gets to define what "loud and disruptive" is, they can flex that definition any way they like to get people they don't want to hear to shut up.
I guess I never thought of it that way. But for what it's worth, I would tell anyone who was being loud and disruptive to be quiet, regardless of race.

You missed the point. It's not about having black friends; it's about calling attention to it as evidence of your "Look at me, I'm so tolerant!" card.
If that's really your motive, I guess that would be racist.

Sure, in a world where everyone starts off with the same circumstances.

But even leaving that aside, statements like that, which appear to promote reasonable meritocracy, are often motivated by discomfort with the idea of social mobility and disruptions of the status quo. The term "micro-aggression" is really not misplaced here.
I'm not ashamed to admit that I don't even understand that.

I guess what frustrates me about all this is the claim that "saying you're not racist makes you racist." Uhh... how? The definition of racism, according to dictionary.com, is:

"a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human racial groups determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to dominate others or that a particular racial group is inferior to the others."
I don't believe that, and I never have. I respect and am interested in other cultures, but I don't think any race is superior or inferior to any other. And yet just expressing that makes me racist? Where is the logic in that? It seems you're damned if you do, and damned if you don't.

senza tema

nunc rosa cras fex
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I guess I never thought of it that way. But for what it's worth, I would tell anyone who was being loud and disruptive to be quiet, regardless of race.

A lot of people say this. When it comes down to it, they get more annoyed when people of other races act out though.

There's also the whole "white standards are the right standards" angle to it.

I guess what frustrates me about all this is the claim that "saying you're not racist makes you racist." Uhh... how? The definition of racism, according to dictionary.com, is:

I don't believe that, and I never have. I respect and am interested in other cultures, but I don't think any race is superior or inferior to any other. And yet just expressing that makes me racist? Where is the logic in that? It seems you're damned if you do, and damned if you don't.

The point is not to try to score points. The point is to listen and treat other people like people. That, in and of itself, is the point. Not winning some kind of universal "I am not a racist" badge.