• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Are You Racist? You May Just Be According To This New List

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If you look up the source material, it's a lot more reasonable than how it's being represented. Those things aren't 'rules' they're potential signs of general attitudes.

http://www.uwsp.edu/acadaff/NewFacultyResources/NFSRacialMicroaggressions_Table.pdf

Here's an excerpt from the original PDF:

THEME
Ascription of Intelligence
Assigning intelligence to a person of
color on the basis of their race.

MICROAGRESSION
“You are a credit to your race.”
“You are so articulate.”
Asking an Asian person to help with a
Math or Science problem.

intelligent as Whites.
It is unusual for someone of your
race to be intelligent.
All Asians are intelligent

It seems like a nice useful little repository for those who want to raise their own awareness of some of the possible roots of seemingly innocuous language.

I raised a family and spent a lot of time in the Midwest, my visits to the rural areas were filled with these sorts of interactions--You are not really Mexican, because you are well spoken, intelligent and are in the middle class. The people I talked to were kind, well intentioned, and just ignorant, pretty much all around superior to the typical internet flame-spewing denizen.

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
If you look up the source material, it's a lot more reasonable than how it's being represented. Those things aren't 'rules' they're potential signs of general attitudes.

http://www.uwsp.edu/acadaff/NewFacultyResources/NFSRacialMicroaggressions_Table.pdf

Here's an excerpt from the original PDF:

It seems like a nice useful little repository for those who want to raise their own awareness of some of the possible roots of seemingly innocuous language.

I raised a family and spent a lot of time in the Midwest, my visits to the rural areas were filled with these sorts of interactions--You are not really Mexican, because you are well spoken, intelligent and are in the middle class. The people I talked to were kind, well intentioned, and just ignorant, pretty much all around superior to the typical internet flame-spewing denizen.

Yeah I was going to say those are more like red flags in context with something else.

Also I'd like to point out the deal with people saying "There's only one race" is like saying you refuse to acknowledge actual differences because you're too inept to handle them with tact.

Not everyone wants you to throw their entire race away. Being seen as raceless can be just as insulting. Most people just want others to stop assuming things about them.

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
Also saying "the most qualified person will get the job" is like a daycare assuring you "we won't beat your children". It should go without saying and the fact that it doesn't is a bit suspect.

Bush

cute lil war dog
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm a white person. I laughed, or at least smirked, at most of the stereotypes. "You know about NASCAR stuff, right?"

If this is supposed to get me to feel the way the targets of microaggression feel.. well..

.. ... if what I felt is what they feel, I'd want people to microagress(!?) me all the time.

Additionally,