• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Intellectual Corruption, Moral Corruption, and Mental Illness

pluviophile

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
NFI
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Let us consider Typology Central. Largely we are narcissistic with a nasty streak, and we increasingly maintain our narcissistic community by authoritarian means. So it seems to me Typology Central corrupts empathy and creativity.

Or another way of putting it is that communal narcissism corrupts joy.

In the latest movie just out, Inside Out, we see the struggle for joy.

I'm sorry that your joy got corrupted. I fail to see what that has to do with mental illness though, unless you are implying that this forum has made you clinically depressed.

Mole

Permabanned
You know if you hate this place so much why not leave?

This is just as baffling as my friend when she's like i hate h er when she's sober and i hate her when she's fucked up. And i was like then why are you friends with her? I never got an answer and i don't expect one here either.

Well, you can expect an answer from me.

It is very important to feel our love and hatred, and it is even more important to be able to stand back from our love and hatred and ask, what is happening here?

However if we give ourselves over totally to love and hatred, we find it almost impossible to ask what is happening here.

So although love is lovely and hate is difficult to bear, to be able to hold both means we are able to hold ourselves.

It is called emotional restraint and is the hallmark of high emotional intelligence.

Mole

Permabanned
I'm sorry that your joy got corrupted. I fail to see what that has to do with mental illness though, unless you are implying that this forum has made you clinically depressed.

The implication is that the suffering and distress of mental illness is a corruption of joy.

Mole

Permabanned
Oh... I feel sorry for your friends.*

Have you discussed this theory with your colleagues?

I get by with a little help from my friends.

And the ideas and work of Dr R.D.Laing have been discussed for and against for many decades.

Bknight

Lost in the Multiverse
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
In the latest movie just out, Inside Out, we see the struggle for joy.

:doh: Jesus, help me...

Alright, I'm gonna be up-front with you here. Inside Out is a pile of unscientific bullshit no matter how you spin it. It treats depression and emotion in general as something controllable, and represents said emotions as little octopus-things. The representation of emotions in such a way (through the octopus-things, as I'll oh-so-scientifically call them from now on :newwink:) is entirely forgivable, and even makes for a good story. However, their blatant misunderstanding of human emotion and the psychology behind it cannot be ignored, especially when they join the crowd of people that say, "depresions all in ur hed! cheer up!!1".

:ranting:

Alright, I am ranting. No point arguing against that point. But regardless, not a good movie to bring up in a scientific discussion. ;)

EDIT: Just read up on R. D. Laing. Not particularly impressed. His theories fly in the face of the currently-accepted psychological theories behind mental illness with little in the way of proof backing them up. I admire people that try to change things, but not if they're trying to fix what isn't broken.

pluviophile

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
NFI
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The implication is that the suffering and distress of mental illness is a corruption of joy.

Of course it does. The suffering and distress of any illness corrupts joy. Not that it's an illness, but right now I have PMS and it's corrupting my joy like a mofo. Saying that suffering and distress corrupt joy is pretty obvious. I still fail to see how that relates to your original question.

Also this:
First, you said that communal narcissism, which is apparently what you think happens here, corrupts joy. Then, to explain that, you said mental illness corrupts joy. I'm confused. Are you saying that the "communal narcissism" here corrupted your own personal joy, or are you saying that you act narcissistic here, and that corrupts your joy?

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
:doh: Jesus, help me...

Alright, I'm gonna be up-front with you here. Inside Out is a pile of unscientific bullshit no matter how you spin it. It treats depression and emotion in general as something controllable, and represents said emotions as little octopus-things. The representation of emotions in such a way (through the octopus-things, as I'll oh-so-scientifically call them from now on :newwink:) is entirely forgivable, and even makes for a good story. However, their blatant misunderstanding of human emotion and the psychology behind it cannot be ignored, especially when they join the crowd of people that say, "depresions all in ur hed! cheer up!!1".

:ranting:
http://www.newsweek.com/what-do-child-psychiatrists-think-pixars-wondrous-inside-out-347114

Child psychiatrists approve, for the record.

Bknight

Lost in the Multiverse
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

They approve because it teaches about the complexity of emotions, not because it does so in an entirely scientific or entirely factually correct manner.

I do admit, though, that I didn't realize that they got the complexity bit right. I should have done more research into the film, and I apologize for not doing so.

However, the article also implicitly stated that the approval wasn't unanimous by stating that "they mostly loved it", though of course this could also be construed to mean that they enjoyed it on the whole but found some flaws.

I should also point out that your source gushes in the URL abiout how "wondrous" the film is. Not exactly impartial journalism.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
They approve because it teaches about the complexity of emotions, not because it does so in an entirely scientific or entirely factually correct manner.

I do admit, though, that I didn't realize that they got the complexity bit right. I should have done more research into the film, and I apologize for not doing so.

However, the article also implicitly stated that the approval wasn't unanimous by stating that "they mostly loved it", though of course this could also be construed to mean that they enjoyed it on the whole but found some flaws.

I should also point out that your source gushes in the URL abiout how "wondrous" the film is. Not exactly impartial journalism.
:shrug: I didn't spend a lot of time searching for the most perfect article ever. My goal was mostly to alert people to the existence of a credible alternative to the very negative and generalized picture you were painting.

Bknight

Lost in the Multiverse
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
:shrug: I didn't spend a lot of time searching for the most perfect article ever. My goal was mostly to alert people to the existence of a credible alternative to the very negative and generalized picture you were painting.

True. I was just giving my (admittedly negative; even I'm not gonna argue that) POV on it. There are others, and certainly many that are more accurate than my own. That's one of the nice things about this site: it definitely broadens horizons. :D

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I watcheed this movie called snap and i'm not sure if i liked it it was sayng this guy was schizophrenic because he witnessed another kid being killed. which we know if we're semi-normal that that's not the full reason. but the message was people go schizophrenc because of some external trauma.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Does intellectual corruption reinforce moral corruption? And does intellectual and moral corruption lead to mental illness?

Mental illness has historically been taken out of the moral realm and put in the medical realm. But quite unlike physical illness, mental illness is rarely caused by a lesion or an infectious agent.

So the question remains. Is mental illness a moral problem or is mental illness a medical problem?

Mental illness is a medical problem, it may cause moral issues. It is usually a chemical issue, but not necessarily needing medicine. We have already discovered that actions causes different chemical reactions in the brain along with food, exercise, etc. As we understand better we can use normal activities to help, doesn't mean we should forgoe medicine all together. We must do what works to a degree while learning and improving what we know and understand.

Corruption is a loaded word as corruption is in eye of beholder. A corrupt official may lie and be dishonest for moral reasons they believe are good. Atheists corrupt christians, but it's really just a person making there own judgement of what right vs wrong is.