• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Asperger's, ADD/ADHD, and Response to Sensory Information

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Anyone else here sensitive to loud noises, such as a vacuum cleaner? I always hated the vacuum cleaner. It might be because of my Asperger's Syndrome, but the way Keirsey describes the NT temperament, which almost wholly describes me, there seems to be a strong correlation between the temperament and autistic disorders.

You're an Aspie? Like, diagnosed officially? I must have missed that...

I don't like loud noises either, and certain times of day for me are terrible, especially after being in a quiet cube all day.

Eating dinner with my family, and hearing people chew and talk and clink silverware and rock their legs and... all those little bits of subtle random noise... literally drives me to stick fingers in my ears and sometimes even leave the room, if I feel I've got to leave or just start screaming at people.

Last edited by a moderator:

Natrushka

Pareo cattus
MBTI Type
INTJ
Anyone else here sensitive to loud noises, such as a vacuum cleaner? I always hated the vacuum cleaner. It might be because of my Asperger's Syndrome, but the way Keirsey describes the NT temperament, which almost wholly describes me, there seems to be a strong correlation between the temperament and autistic disorders.

You're an Aspie? Like, diagnosed officially? I must have missed that...

Wow. Wow. </Walken>

I have never been officiall diagnosed, but it has been suggested. Hell, my DH calls me "Aspey".

I cringe at loud noises - we have an old retro phone with a real brass bell. I turn it off when I'm home alone. Any loud noise makes me hunch up my shoulders and protect my ears. Too much noise and I can be on edge all day.

We just moved out to the country and what a difference it has made. Loud frogs I can handle.

Anyone else?

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yes, I am officially diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome. Though at first, they thought it was ADD. In a way, the two disorders are similar, but in another way, they're almost the exact opposite.

My problem stemmed from not paying attention in school and staring off into space, so they thought it was ADD. But it turned out that it was a more narrow range of obsessions that I daydreamed about. That was what differentiated me from ADD, ADD people have trouble concentrating on one thing, while Aspies have trouble not concentrating on one thing.

And from what I'm understanding, ADD is more cerebral while ADHD is more physical -- I read somewhere that ADD people are more often NPs while ADHD people are more often SPs.

But anyway, from what my mom remembers, I started talking late and walking late, but I rapidly caught up. That's both a symptom of AS and part of Keirsey's NT temperament description. Growing up, I had unusual obsessions, too, such as ceiling fans, speakers, and sink drains.

When I was growing up, I played by myself (and when I reached manhood, started playing with myself). I played my own fantasy games.

I think it's degrading when certain articles say that Asperger children take things literally -- but I always thought children were literal in their thinking, anyway.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
That was what differentiated me from ADD, ADD people have trouble concentrating on one thing, while Aspies have trouble not concentrating on one thing.

That DOES seems to be a major difference. My ADD son basically cannot focus on anything, all stimulation is prioritized exactly the same -- so he is leaping from one thing to the next as soon as he experiences it. He has trouble locking onto anything long enough to make sense of it. His medicine basically "wakes up" the filter in his brain that allow him to prioritize and block out other stimulation.

And from what I'm understanding, ADD is more cerebral while ADHD is more physical -- I read somewhere that ADD people are more often NPs while ADHD people are more often SPs.

Yes, he's an ESFP. I have a hunch that the reason ADD was overdiagnosed is simply because of the preponderance of SP boys, compared to other types... and they're more prone to exhibit levels of ADD-like behavior. (The ADD behaviors and ESFP behaviors seem to overlap some, or at least mirror each other.)

But I think some of the kids can learn to deal with the focus issue without meds (maybe these are your basic ESP kids), while others need meds (i.e., they actually do have ADD).

When Ritalin first got popular, I do not think the doctors were screening well enough between the two groups, and too many ESP children were improperly medicated, hindering the use of their abilities.

Growing up, I had unusual obsessions, too, such as ceiling fans, speakers, and sink drains.

Wow. That sounds so... well, it's funny. "Yes, it's Christmas, and Jimmy is playing with the sink again instead of with his new toys."

I think it's degrading when certain articles say that Asperger children take things literally -- but I always thought children were literal in their thinking, anyway.

There are different levels of literalness. Even my N kids started out as "literal" -- I remember trying to explain to them what a metaphor was, and they looked at me as if I had completely gone insane. They just haven't yet physically developed their brain structures AND stored enough experiences to understand abstractions like that.

But the two N kids picked up abstractions very quickly, while the S child is FINALLY starting to get an inkling. He was very literal and would not be able to understand things to the extent his siblings would start getting sarcastic with him, rolling their eyes, etc... and some of the questions he would ask would leave us wondering, "What?! What is there not to get?"

For example, he would ask questions during a movie like, "Why are those two people talking?" (He tended to ask a new question every 15 seconds.) And the answer was, "They are talking... because they wanted to talk." And he couldn't figure out those things on his own easily... (And this is the same child who gets A's on homework and tests without any parental help in Math, of all things.)

So children do have to develop abstraction ability... but some kids have a lot of trouble with abstraction or take longer to develop it.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Another classic autistic compulsion I had was lining up toy cars in straight lines.

Aspies tend to collect concrete facts, but those facts usually revolve around their interests and are much more exclusive -- like an NT temperament is inclined to do. But since NT is the "knowledge-seeking" personality, I would think that NTs are more adept at collecting facts, but just not on the surface level.

I disagree when articles say that Aspie children lack imagination though. When I was little, I used to play Sonic the Hedgehog on my Sega Genesis and afterward, I'd design and act out my own levels in my mind. I also went to a lot of movies, and then afterwards, I would act out my own storyline. Of course a conservative person would say that it's not imaginative if it's based on a movie, but imagination is based on a collection of outside experiences anyway. (You need to know what a chair looks like before you can understand its description in a book.)

But this also became problematic because my parents thought there was something wrong with me, and so they took away my movies and video games a number of times.

I also played with stuffed animals and invented my own games and stories -- sort of like a Calvin and Hobbes fashion. (I loved reading Calvin and Hobbes, by the way, too.) And besides, doesn't one of the principal traits of autism involve the patient being in a fantasy world?

Natrushka

Pareo cattus
MBTI Type
INTJ
Fantasy life is a large part of Asperger's, Uber.

One of two online tests for Aspies.

Second test

I have no idea as to their accuracy. I score 32 on the first and 27 on the second.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well I do notice a lot of Aspies with INTJ personality types. Supposedly, it's the most common personality type for people with the condition.

Here, watch this video, it demonstrates the kind of ESFP/ESFJ shit I have to put up with when I go in public.

Natrushka

Pareo cattus
MBTI Type
INTJ
Oh man that was hillarious. "Im going to die of old age ... " I so understand. My SIL is an ESFP on antidepressants and she thinks it is her mission in life to include me in everything she plans. We are going to see her tomorrow. :sad:

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
One may have to wonder which one has AS...it seems to me that she was unaware of his boredom and uncaring.

That's the thing I hate about AS. Shrinks say that Aspies are unable to comprehend the meaning of one's words, but I think the reality is that we just don't care about some people's rambling or the pretentious literature that students are forced to read in school.

Natrushka

Pareo cattus
MBTI Type
INTJ
There are also degrees of this, are there not? While I see patterns in numbers, remember dates to such a degree it freaks out my husband (I can tell you what day of the week November 13th will be this year, was last year, three years ago, etc) and bounce my leg constantly, I can do the fake small talk if I try, and I can read people's expressions and know when they're bored or upset with me.

My phone is rining. Make it stop.

Cerpin_Taxt

MBTI Type
INTP
When I was growing up, I played by myself (and when I reached manhood, started playing with myself).

You stole my line, bastard.

But I can relate to alot of this. I haven't been diagnosed with AS, but after taking some online test and reading up on it a little, alot of it fits.

I have always had a wierd obsession with water(but hate swimming), shadows, and reflections. Never had trouble socializing with others--but mostly because I never really seeked to make friends with many of them outside of school, and have often been told I make innappropraite comment's. I can be very blunt in speech, but i understand and recognize sarcasm and metaphor--though can be very gulible with close friends. Always prefered the company of my parent's friends, and younger kids, over that of my peers.

I dont know how much of this could be attributed to my INTPness, but after reading the lists of symptoms a Aspergers diagnosis wouldn't be completly out of place.

And yes vaccum cleaners are my worst fucking enemies. That and people doing the dishes, which for some reason carries to the other side the house into a closed bedroom.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I also hate the sound of telephone rings...so I turn the ringer off. Besides, I really hate talking to anyone.

I used to be afraid of certain toilet flush sounds, but I grew out of that. Another weird phobia I used to have were the hand dryers in public restrooms. It wasn't their sound, but the look of them, for some reason, scared me. I also was scared of going through a car wash.

I hate smoke alarms, as well, but who doesn't?

I grew out of most of my weird fears, though.

However, I actually like the sound of people eating and the sound of fingers tapping on the keyboard.

Crabapple

MBTI Type
INFJ
Uberfurher said:
Yes, I am officially diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome. Though at first, they thought it was ADD. In a way, the two disorders are similar, but in another way, they're almost the exact opposite....

My problem stemmed from not paying attention in school and staring off into space, so they thought it was ADD. But it turned out that it was a more narrow range of obsessions that I daydreamed about. That was what differentiated me from ADD, ADD people have trouble concentrating on one thing, while Aspies have trouble not concentrating on one thing.

I have been diagnosed with both ADHD and Autism...considering the differences between them, I wonder how my brain works it out...:huh:

I am very sensitive to noises. Can't stand the phone, running water, the fridge which hums and coughs, or the angry growl of the vaccum cleaner. The way the neighbors blast music- hiphop and Latin- I'd like to throw their stereos out the window.

I am also literal to the point that I am teased by my therapist; she'll say something that I take at face value, then burst out laughing when I take her seriously. People are always laughing at what I say :doh: - or they get stunned and silent, or angry. Or they practically fall off their chairs. And I don't know what I said to make them react that way.

I can remember only two obsessions as a kid; One was flushing the toilet over and over, and the other was sticking things in electrical sockets. Yeah, I got shocked more than once. I didn't seem to be able to learn from it.

I did a lot of physical stuff, like rocking, headbanging :17425: , flipping my hands, keening, chewing the corners of my mouth, and scratching myself. Kinda freaked my mother out, I think.

I had a lot of trouble speaking. I'll say I was understandable by age 8, but I didn't really bother 'til I was 10. I really didn't see the point. Small talk has been explained to me, but I still struggle to do it.

I made patterns of pennies and m&m's. There's something perfect and soothing about roundness.

Heck, I still live in a huge fantasy world.

Fortunately, my sister Bea explained things- all the why's I had. Still does, often. Alienclock is sometimes able to percieve when I'm going to say something that will get me in trouble, and pulls my coat.

I have some difficulty reading expressions- but I'm great at seeing changes in complexion due to emotion, and I'm fairly good at posture and body language. Frankly, I don't see how people understand each other. Humans can be saying one thing with their words, another thing with the tone of their voice, a third with their body posture, and a fourth with their gestures. And they may have a flush or a paleness that belies the mood they're trying to put over. I find animals much easier to comprehend. They tend to be saying one thing with their whole self. Also probably why I like smilies-:smile: What they intend to convey is soooo obvious.

I still have no idea what this :moodeath: means.

I used to bite people too...especially when they touched me. Maybe that was the autism- or maybe I was just a brat. :devil: :tongue10:

Has anyone else been told that they're disinhibited?

Last edited:

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have been diagnosed with both ADHD and Autism...considering the differences between them, I wonder how my brain works it out...:huh:

I am very sensitive to noises. Can't stand the phone, running water, the fridge which hums and coughs, or the angry growl of the vaccum cleaner. The way the neighbors blast music- hiphop and Latin- I'd like to throw their stereos out the window.

I am also literal to the point that I am teased by my therapist; she'll say something that I take at face value, then burst out laughing when I take her seriously. People are always laughing at what I say :doh: - or they get stunned and silent, or angry. Or they practically fall off their chairs. And I don't know what I said to make them react that way.

I can remember only two obsessions as a kid; One was flushing the toilet over and over, and the other was sticking things in electrical sockets. Yeah, I got shocked more than once. I didn't seem to be able to learn from it.

I did a lot of physical stuff, like rocking, headbanging :17425: , flipping my hands, keening, chewing the corners of my mouth, and scratching myself. Kinda freaked my mother out, I think.

I had a lot of trouble speaking. I'll say I was understandable by age 8, but I didn't really bother 'til I was 10. I really didn't see the point. Small talk has been explained to me, but I still struggle to do it.

I made patterns of pennies and m&m's. There's something perfect and soothing about roundness.

Heck, I still live in a huge fantasy world.

Fortunately, my sister Bea explained things- all the why's I had. Still does, often. Alienclock is sometimes able to percieve when I'm going to say something that will get me in trouble, and pulls my coat.

I have some difficulty reading expressions- but I'm great at seeing changes in complexion due to emotion, and I'm fairly good at posture and body language. Frankly, I don't see how people understand each other. Humans can be saying one thing with their words, another thing with the tone of their voice, a third with their body posture, and a fourth with their gestures. And they may have a flush or a paleness that belies the mood they're trying to put over. I find animals much easier to comprehend. They tend to be saying one thing with their whole self. Also probably why I like smilies-:smile: What they intend to convey is soooo obvious.

I still have no idea what this :moodeath: means.

I used to bite people too...especially when they touched me. Maybe that was the autism- or maybe I was just a brat. :devil: :tongue10:

Has anyone else been told that they're disinhibited?

I'm almost convinced that there is a connection between autistic spectrum disorders and dominant Introverted Intuition.

I think that since Introverted Intuition isn't observable, one might observe the patient for "lacking imagination and introspection." But the simple matter is that it's just not apparent. Introverted Intuitive types are known for having great difficulty expressing their conceptions.

But since Introverted Intuitive children are so rare, they will probably qualify as having a disability. Whereas Introverted Sensation children are relatively common, and so probably will not be labeled as "abnormal."

I think Introverted Intuition has even more trouble with the thought of change because of a vivid imagination. To observers, the Ni's fear of change could seem unnatural.

Introverted Sensation types, who naturally look to past experiences in the face of change, probably have an easier time feeling secure during these situations.

I've also noticed that many more Intuitive types I've come into contact with have trouble taking words literally. I think this is due to a misconception in the S/N dichotomy.

I think what is really meant is the S type will take things literally as in looking at things as they are while the N type is figurative in the sense they idealize things in their minds.

Dominant Ni types will take things concretely until they've gotten a chance to process them in solitude.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This article might be of interest.

There seems to be a strong correlation between those with Asperger syndrome or high-functioning autism (HFA) and the INTP type of the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI): description 1, description 2. Another theory states that Asperger's correlates to the INTJ personality type, whereas high functioning autism correlates to the INFJ personality type.

Crabapple

MBTI Type
INFJ
I'm almost convinced that there is a connection between autistic spectrum disorders and dominant Introverted Intuition....

But since Introverted Intuitive children are so rare, they will probably qualify as having a disability. Whereas Introverted Sensation children are relatively common, and so probably will not be labeled as "abnormal."....

I think Introverted Intuition has even more trouble with the thought of change because of a vivid imagination. To observers, the Ni's fear of change could seem unnatural....

Introverted Sensation types, who naturally look to past experiences in the face of change, probably have an easier time feeling secure during these situations....

I've also noticed that many more Intuitive types I've come into contact with have trouble taking words literally. I think this is due to a misconception in the S/N dichotomy....

Dominant Ni types will take things concretely until they've gotten a chance to process them in solitude.

I would say: If the structure, chemistry, and sensitivity of the brain determines temperment/personality type, then certain types of brain are more prone or likely to have certain personalities/temperments. There are observable differences in "autistic brains", so it is likely that these brains would be prone to have observable differences in personality from the "average" brain.

I would say: Neither average nor autistic people enjoy rapid or profound change. The additional, observable, autistic dislike for change may be due to brain sensitivity and sensory overload.

As for taking things literally- when the autistic brain processes social information, it has difficulty in picking up on social cues and other less concrete forms of communication, like facial expression. It uses what it has available.

O/T: Can you tell me why these subjects/concepts are so important to you?

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Whenever I see connections between things, I obsess about them.

And if you weren't already aware. I have Asperger's Syndrome, and some of what is written about it on the Internet is quite wrong.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I feel like I should contribute. We have a house full of INs, I and at least one of my sons have ADHD inattentive type, and both of my sons (and possibly more of us) are on the spectrum. I'm not sure what to say.

We are all of us sensitive to noise. Some of us have other weird sensory issues. None of us are particularly social or adept at socializing. We all have pretty narrow and intense interests, but some more so than others.

The only thing I can think to add is that when my younger son was "stimming" in an inappropriate way at school, they taped some textured fabric to his desk to give him something else to play with. Thank God for an understanding teacher and a clever speech therapist.