• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Video: being an "emotional sponge" explained, examined...PTSD and types?

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yeah, I think the HSP thing is actually pretty useful but unfortunately it is marketed as sort of superficial "self-help" stuff so people who are into it get all fluffy and annoying about it. One the one hand I don't blame people for not taking it seriously, but on the other hand, if you actually read into it and the research behind it, it's not crazy. (People like to have opinions about things they haven't actually read.) At least on the sensory level, it does seem to be that some people easily get deeply overstimulated and others do not. Scientifically speaking, it's no secret that some people have problems with "sensory integration", especially people on the autism spectrum, but not always those folks. I'm not on the autism spectrum but I have a very hard time with some sensory stuff (loud noises, crowds, too much "going on" at once) and I do believe it is directly connected to PTSD. There has been research done on that, too. And, as in the video, there are people who experience the sensory effects of other people's emotions, and this seems to be a real thing. It's not a superpower, it comes out of PTSD (I believe) and again, this is fairly evidence-based. (In any case, people who are really into the MBTI should have a little more self-awareness...the MBTI is not exactly taken seriously by the scientific community, to say the least...it has not been studied seriously and with reliable research models the way, say the Big Five has been...it simply hasn't...most serious academics find the MBTI and Enneagram no just hokey but actually new agey psuedo-science! I mean, you can find some academics talking about it here and there, but you can find that with most fringe/new age psych theories including indigo children!)

I assumed INFJ for her type too but I need to learn a little more about MBTI...

I thought I was autistic for a long time because I easily become overstimulated.

Agreed, one can't help but sniff hypocrisy and willful ignorance when members of a forum or facebook group devoted to what is still considered by many to be a pseudo science refuse to take something serious because they see it as being too "new age" (I really hate that term)