• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How do I develop a sense of humor?

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Most of my fav. stand-ups are probably introverts, fwiw.

Splittet

Wannabe genius
MBTI Type
INTJ
Most of my fav. stand-ups are probably introverts, fwiw.

I was surprised seeing it as well, which is probably why I remember it. Doesn't mean all extroverts are funnier than introverts, or that introverts can't be comedians...

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
For What It's Worth

spirilis, when I read your response, I had already forgotten that I asked that question and thought you were giving your opinion on the article I posted and just hadn't finished your sentence. Like...

spirilis: "For What It's Worth........"

<crickets chirping>

spirilis

Senior Membrane
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
spirilis, when I read your response, I had already forgotten that I asked that question and thought you were giving your opinion on the article I posted and just hadn't finished your sentence. Like...

spirilis: "For What It's Worth........"

<crickets chirping>

Haha, I left ya hanging didn't I :hug:

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
I find a lot of humor has to do with ingroup/outgroup status, is culturally specific and depends on your frame of reference. The most universally appealing type of humor tends to be physical, like someone slipping on a banana peel. I know I love watching those crazy Japanese game shows and even though I don't understand the language it's hilarious. I do think there is a S and N difference in humor, but all those zany connections that Ns like to make would fall flat if there is no repertoire of knowledge available to make the connection. I find that much of what people say is N humor is dependent upon what they know to make a connection to. S humor I do think tends to be more physical and grounded, but seems actually seems more versatile.

Most of the comedians people mention on the forum I've never really heard of or I don't find them funny. Using Monty Python as a measure of what's funny is kinda lame to me. Likewise if I dropped a few names that I find funny, I doubt people would have heard of them. I notice with my film group, people tend to think British comedies are the pinnacle of comedic excellence.

The whole Dave Chappelle thing is a good example. He quit his show because he felt mainstream culture didn't "get it." The whole laugh at, not laugh with.

Just to echo what some people have already said, don't put the pressure on yourself to be funny and witty. I know people that swing to the other extreme and never take anything seriously even when you want them to. Just don't be a wet blanket. :)

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I actually don't think any comedians are funny.

Mole

Permabanned
I think a sense of humor relies upon a joie de vivre

Yes, humour arises out of the joy of life.

So it is important to focus on the joy.

Ask your mind the question, where is my joy?

Don't try and answer the question, just let it rest in your mind.

And without any effort, you will start to see joy around you.

And then you are bound to be good humoured.

MBTI Type
ENTP
Actually it is extroverted people who are supposedly funnier than introverted people. That's the correlation I have seen, at least...

I haven't found that to be the case. Jokes by extroverts usually get the polite smile from me, or a polite chuckle if I'm feeling charitable. But jokes by introverts are usually dry and more original and half of the fun is seeing the subtle wit go way over the heads of all the extroverts in the room.

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I haven't found that to be the case. Jokes by extroverts usually get the polite smile from me, or a polite chuckle if I'm feeling charitable. But jokes by introverts are usually dry and more original and half of the fun is seeing the subtle wit go way over the heads of all the extroverts in the room.

:wubbie:

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
I've always loved comedy and when I was a kid, I can remember almost studying the comedians I liked best, trying to figure out what make a joke work, noticing timing of delivery, what words are inherently funny, etc. There really is an art to comedy, but if you break it down too much, it ceases to be funny. Try to notice the reasons a joke works while you're watching tv or a funny movie. Notice the setup, the joke, the facial or physical reaction, the timing, the emphasis on certain words. That will give you a set of guidelines, which the lack of may be contributing to your lack of confidence in your sense of humor.

My favorite comedy on tv right now is 30 Rock. It's got a mix of "smart" comedy, social commentary, over-the-top goofiness, puns, strange characters, farce physical comedy, just everything, really. I think it'd be a good one to study. Frasier might be a good one, too, but you'd have to rent those on netflix or something.

My sister is an ISTJ, but she grew up in a family that was always joking and being goofy, so she has a great sense of humor. We don't always have the same taste in movies now, but growing up, we tended to find a lot of the same things funny. She comes up with things I'd never have though of, but she can make me laugh a lot. I have another friend who is ISTJ, and she reminds me of Lilith on Frasier. She's very formal, very monotone, which is kinda funny in and of itself. She has a sense of humor, but it's very dry and deadpan, and sometimes she has to let you know when she says something that was supposed to be funny. It's actually pretty charming, though, because she knows that about herself, and has a good sense of humor about herself. She knows that sometimes we laugh at something she says that wasn't meant to be funny, and she just rolls with it as if she'd told a joke.

Splittet

Wannabe genius
MBTI Type
INTJ

Ah, didn't mean it was the correlation I had noticed personally. I read it in my personality psychology book (five factor model research)... Personally I never really noticed much of a difference, but it's probably true...

Alpha-6

MBTI Type
INTP
So, my question is, how do I develop a sense of humor? My parents were very serious, formal, no-nonsense kind of people so I never got it from them. I hate being a robot.

I know everyone will recommend spending time with funny people (I've been trying to find them among my circle of sarcastic scientists) and maybe watching sitcoms. Is that really going to help? What else can I do?

Part of it is that I just don't find a lot of things funny. Bodily humor, I don't enjoy. I don't really like sarcasm and I try not to use it myself, since I find it pessimistic. I mostly enjoy clean, smart jokes, and interesting word usage in unexpected situations (like Mad Libs). Maybe SJ humor was more prevalent pre-1960s; I find earlier TV and writing more funny than whatever's on TV these days.

I do enjoy some of the witty banter here on some of the lighter threads and wish that I could do that myself! If only I knew the right thing to say. I can never come up with a response fast enough, and I seem to think of responses too slowly. :( Maybe S humor and N humor are different?

I feel your pain. I haven't laughed in years, but I make people laugh. Just smile, fake laugh, use slang/hip phrases, be sarcastic and don't hesitate to steal jokes. If they catch you stealing a joke, just deny it. Its that simple.

Mort Belfry

Rats off to ya!
MBTI Type
INTP
I actually don't think any comedians are funny.

I prefer stand-up tragedians.

You know, the ones that start off, "Hey, great to be here, only because it lets me escape from my real life where I'm in love with a girl whose parents are trying to seperate us and I doubt we'll ever have the happiness that we in life crave."

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
I prefer stand-up tragedians.

You know, the ones that start off, "Hey, great to be here, only because it lets me escape from my real life where I'm in love with a girl whose parents are trying to seperate us and I doubt we'll ever have the happiness that we in life crave."
I thought R&J was a comedy.

LostInNerSpace

MBTI Type
INTP
I'll be the first to admit that I'm not entirely happy with the type I was born with. I'm overly serious, I take everything personally,

People are crazy. People will think all kinds of things about you. You can't let it get to you. You will get on well with some people, and not so well with others. You don't like everyone, do you? Then why should you expect everyone to like you?

and I don't joke around with others. I admire people who can keep up witty repartee.
So, my question is, how do I develop a sense of humor? My parents were very serious, formal, no-nonsense kind of people so I never got it from them. I hate being a robot.

I know everyone will recommend spending time with funny people (I've been trying to find them among my circle of sarcastic scientists) and maybe watching sitcoms. Is that really going to help? What else can I do?

Part of it is that I just don't find a lot of things funny. Bodily humor, I don't enjoy. I don't really like sarcasm and I try not to use it myself, since I find it pessimistic. I mostly enjoy clean, smart jokes, and interesting word usage in unexpected situations (like Mad Libs). Maybe SJ humor was more prevalent pre-1960s; I find earlier TV and writing more funny than whatever's on TV these days.

Find comedians you like and listen to their jokes. Tell their jokes, and modify to create your own joke. With practice you will come up with your own.
I do enjoy some of the witty banter here on some of the lighter threads and wish that I could do that myself! If only I knew the right thing to say. I can never come up with a response fast enough, and I seem to think of responses too slowly. :( Maybe S humor and N humor are different?

You worry too much about what other people are thinking. You need to let go. Practice making a fool of yourself sometimes. A huge part of humor is delivery. If you are confident and relaxed, i.e. don't particularly care whether or not people find your humor funny, you well on your way.

S and N humor is different. That does not mean N will not find S funny, or vice versa.

I'll be the first to admit that I'm not entirely happy with the type I was born with.

I just remembered something Keirsey said. He said temperament is your hardware, character is your software.

Keirsey Temperament Website

If you work hard enough at it, you should be able to develop some of the character of an Artisan which is what I believe you are after.