User Tag List

123 Last

The Green Jolly Robin H.
    MBTI
    ENTJ

Default the belief in an afterlife is required in old age for mental health

the illusion of an afterlife, or reality, depending on your position is required after the age of 35 for good mental health. The reason is, as Jung noted, is due to the personality and its petrification and neurotisism.

Basically, one who does not look forward, looks back, too much, and such a person is a weight to the people around him.

It happens in youth, and in one sided people.

An anectodal example is a comparison of two collective figures: Alan Watts and Carl Sagan....they overlap, but I think Sagan did not believe in an afterlife..

Many people like Sagan but in truth, most people, find him stiff, boring, and somewhat one sided. Alan Watts on the other hand may have sold snake oil but even so, his speeches leave one mystified and inspired.

One is known as a great entertainer/philosopher/poet/master/magician the other is known as a coarse, dry, man who thought we were star poop and nothing more...nothing wrong with being star dust but I believe the love of my mother, brothers, and sisters is something that transcends simple things like cans and plastique..and this makes me beloved and an asset, ironically, simply for being who I am..

Someone might say this doesn't prove that we need to believe in an afterlife...we may not need to believe in an afterlife but can you pick up where you left off at 80 from 16 without believing that it will carry forward?

That is up to you...but as long as you are looking forward, and not back, and moving forward with unloved potentialities you will be sound, but if you go back and regress into a state of reliving glory days you are essentially lame.

You may be a great achiever, win awards, but your personality will suck the life out of everyone and you will be a necromonger in the subjective world of everyone, and thereby objectively in the sense that we are psychical creatures.
    "i shut the door and in the morning
    it was open
    -the end"

Olemn slammed his hammer and from the sparks on the metal of his anvil came the spheres of the heavens.

Sayrah blew life into the spheres and they moved. From her wheel she weaved the names of people in to mystery.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram

The word required is used for laws or rules. There's no requirements for the belief of an afterlife.
    Last edited by great_bay; 05-31-2015 at 10:19 PM. Reason: grammar

Post Human Post
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Hah, what's with all the Carl Sagan hate? I feel like you haven't even properly seen the original Cosmos. As a scientist he took on quite a mystical outlook and didn't even identify as an atheist, which is why he's able to project that kind of daft wonder, he was anything but dry or boring.

Surely you can pick a better straw man.

Jung had a mental breakdown in his late 30's. I think I'll decide what is best for me.
    Will you shut up, man?

Likes Kullervo liked this post

It is our duty to create meaning.

If only it were that simple.
    Likes C.J.Woolf liked this post

The Green Jolly Robin H.
    MBTI
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Hard View Post
    the end of the chapter of "stages of life" by carl jung in the book, Portable Jung.
    it was open
    -the end"

Olemn slammed his hammer and from the sparks on the metal of his anvil came the spheres of the heavens.

Sayrah blew life into the spheres and they moved. From her wheel she weaved the names of people in to mystery.

Quote Originally Posted by GarrotTheThief View Post
    the end of the chapter of "stages of life" by carl jung in the book, Portable Jung.
    That isn't a citation. A statement made in the OP would require a substantiated publication in a major psychological journal.

I dunno stardust is a pretty epic thing to be made from, in my opinion.

I have no idea about whether afterlife belief corresponds to mental health in your older years or not. I think a sense of ones life's meaning does, for sure. That can be found in the relationships you have, and what you feel you have contributed to the world.

I can't say if I believe in an afterlife. It's hard for me to wrap my mind around either way. I do know when I go, I'd like to have as many of the people I care about as possible there with me. I'd like somebody to hold my hand and be there with me until the end. Because I just imagine it's very lonely-feeling.
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.
    Likes GarrotTheThief, wolfy liked this post

The Green Jolly Robin H.
    MBTI
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Hard View Post
    That isn't a citation. A statement made in the OP would require a substantiated publication in a major psychological journal.
    well I don't have that mr. Hard.
    it was open
    -the end"

Quote Originally Posted by GarrotTheThief View Post
    well I don't have that mr. Hard.
    Then it is all nothing more than unsubstantiated speculation.