• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Nighttime personality change

Vorthos

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't get it. During the day, I'm quite happy; I'm not easily bothered by things and I generally am quite positive. At night though, I occasionally shift to a more melodramatic mood: I subtly try to get sympathy (very subtly, mind), and I feel lonely. But during the day, I deeply regret anything I say while in my weird mood (since I open up more at night) I often feel I've made myself look weak.

I have no idea why I do this or why I only get like this at night. Even now, I know I'm gonna feel a bit awkward about asking this question (it's night right now) but I'm too curious (and functionally anonymous) to really be bothered by that. Any ideas?

Luke O

Super Ape
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Sensitivity to hormones maybe? We produce more Serotonin in the day and more Melatonin at night.

Opal

MBTI Type
ENTP
Perhaps your worldly concerns melt away as your mind and body prepare for sleep, and you feel, when all else ebbs to a deep silence, the faint gravity of the abyss.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I don't get it. During the day, I'm quite happy; I'm not easily bothered by things and I generally am quite positive. At night though, I occasionally shift to a more melodramatic mood: I subtly try to get sympathy (very subtly, mind), and I feel lonely. But during the day, I deeply regret anything I say while in my weird mood (since I open up more at night) I often feel I've made myself look weak.

I have no idea why I do this or why I only get like this at night. Even now, I know I'm gonna feel a bit awkward about asking this question (it's night right now) but I'm too curious (and functionally anonymous) to really be bothered by that. Any ideas?

Some nights I want to have an in-depth conversation before bed, too. I don't know what that's all about - I'm usually too tired to really care about the answers. I don't think I'm looking for sympathy and I'm not lonely but I feel somewhat cranky before bed, which I chalk up to simply being tired.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
the past few days i've been doing this jekyl and mr hyde thing their both me as far as i can tell but in the morning i'm pure evil than late after noon and evening i become nice so reverse because he was good during the day and evil during the night. but i wouldn't say it's a personality change but rather struggling to accept what is during the day and at night being like fine you know what fine.

i think this is normal part of being human though, i usually supress it better but things happen

BadOctopus

Suave y Fuerte
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't think what you're describing is uncommon. Most of us are diurnal creatures, and we start winding down at night. And it's around this time that our brains start processing everything that was put into them during the day. So of course, that leads to getting all existential and worrying about the things that are currently missing in our lives.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
This used to happen to me. I have something I can recommend:

Write down three good things that happened to you (or that you did) that day. Basically, these are three good things that made the day worthwhile. It does help to write them down, versus merely thinking of them. This can actually help to put you in a more positive mindset when your brain is preparing to enter sleep mode. It worked for me, at the very least.

The least you can do is try it out for a week. It can't hurt.

á´…eparted

passages
It's called being moody. Welcome to the club! :D

Keeping busy with things that requires focus helps quite a bit. Also finding new ways to be entertained.

Vorthos

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Heh, at least it's not just me. That does satisfy my curiosity, actually. Does everybody do this though? I know some people that seem pretty consistent, even at night; these people only seem to be feeling tired if anything.

Hmmm.... people who experience this, do you like to stay up really late? I have difficulty falling asleep and usually have a lot of energy until I've gone to bed, so maybe that's why I notice it in me and not others: they're too tired to express their thoughts, but I keep going and get to enjoy the altered state of mind? Just a thought.
[MENTION=4660]Vulcan[/MENTION]: That's actually a pretty decent idea. Simply thinking of positive things does help, actually.

Kullervo

Permabanned
MBTI Type
N/A

This is similar what I go through every day (upbeat and confident in the morning - moody and lonely in the evening), though my swings are probably more dramatic.

What you are experiencing is an effect of the diurnal cycle. Energy levels will fall throughout the day. I am struggling to ward off evening depressive episodes though, so I am not in a position to offer help.

boomslang

friendly and accessible
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It's probably from being around less people on average, which means less distractions. When the distractions disappear, your problems are there to keep you company.

Galena

Silver and Lead
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I have the opposite issue. I feel more vital, energetic and creative at night, but moodier in the AM. Hours 6-10 in the morning are a particularly grim wall to break through.

void7

I swear the way this universe works frightens and amazes me at the same time ...i just made this account to say this...I am 100% like you, and i just searched on google to see if there is someone like me, and i ended up here after 1 minute, after i had just finished an episode of steins gate that made me sad and that added up to the night that triggers this mood, or other "self".. The fact that you have a profile pic from that anime makes this coincidence insane and it mind boggles me. What you have described is exactly what happens to me too. Right now it is night and i feel exactly like you have said, and tomorrow morning i am going to regret posting this here more than likely. It is like my characteristics change. In the morning i am very cold and it seems impossible to make me understand my night self...as a matter of fact, each morning i am utterly disgusted by what i become at night..this is so damn strange...to hate how weak i am at night, while in the morning i am an unmovable mountain... I am such a whatever person in the morning, and at night i become a self reflection machine...i honestly thought for some time it was depression or bipolar disorder. It seems sleep resets me... Sometimes even when i am close to falling asleep and my thoughts are vanishing, it is then that these feelings and this weak "self" starts to disperse. And as you have said, i start to open up a bit more..while my day self freakin hates this as that self believes that showing emotions or opening up represents weakness...

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I actually would think this is a general societal trend. People tend to loose themselves as night goes on. Darkness allows us to uncover and do more riskier things than the things we would do in the day.

Although as of late, I'm more calm and mellow at night an very eccentric/risk-taker in the day.