• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Neurofeedback

Kas

Fabula rasa
The theory is brilliant. Knowing about neuroplasticity we can influence brain in many ways. Maybe not all aplications of method are convincing to me, but I think it could really help people with anxiety and PTSD. I’ve recently listened to the study report about controlling anxiety with neurofeedback and results were very good.

What are your opinion about it? Do you know anyone who went through therapy like this?

thoughtlost

Honeyed Water
Enneagram
N/A
I do not know anyone who has gone under therapy such as that. I too wonder what neuroplasticity can do for us. You say you think it can help people with anxiety and PTSD; I'd hope so. With repeated studies, we can see if that holds up (or of course practioners can just start using the technique ...but we need some kind of method of seeing if it actually works).

You know what this sounds like? Using ultrasound to help people speak better (they can see their tongue movement so they can make corrections).

Can you show me the paper or whatever that you're talking about?

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
^ I'd also be interested in reading more about it.

Kas

Fabula rasa
Thank you for reply, I’m glad there is someone interested.
I like your comparison:) I never heard about this way to help people speak better.

What I’m talking about I heard on a lecture and I believe the results haven’t been published yet, so I can’t show you them.
The feedback measurements were displayed to patients as video games with reward (as sunny day on screen or pleasant sound) for “healthier” brainwaves. The results were based on questionaire about how participants were feeling after some of time therapy (which I know is not very accurate method, but probably most important in psychiatry ;although it is difficult to rule out placebo) and if I remember well also more objectively on ratio of alpha and beta brainwaves.

I was looking for any similar articles about it online, but I haven’t found anything solid. If anyone knows books or articles about it, I would appreciate.

Instead I found some articles about ADHD which is more popular application of neurofeedback. One is a bit old (2008) but seems solid -it’s randomized ( so kids were put in NF group and control group in random way)and there were 100kids (so not a big number, but at least decent one), the results are based on various methods so it should reduce placebo effect. If you’re interested link

Kas

Fabula rasa
And if someone haven't heard about it at all and is interested, there are some basics on wiki ;) link