• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Extrovert=More fun?

laterlazer

good, hot, fresh, fly ~
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
To answer who I think is happier and is more likely to achieve a higher state of joy, I say neither. What some extroverts consider 'fun' is not fun to me. I remember trying to hang out with a bunch of extroverts during the first week of university and being unamused by everything they found amusing and exciting. Fun of course is different for each person so I don't think we can say anyone is having more fun than another person cos it's really only judged by you, you can't sense how much fun another person is having nor measure it against the amount of fun someone else is having.

Luke O

Super Ape
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
To answer who I think is happier and is more likely to achieve a higher state of joy, I say neither. What some extroverts consider 'fun' is not fun to me. I remember trying to hang out with a bunch of extroverts during the first week of university and being unamused by everything they found amusing and exciting. Fun of course is different for each person so I don't think we can say anyone is having more fun than another person cos it's really only judged by you, you can't sense how much fun another person is having nor measure it against the amount of fun someone else is having.

Your avatar looks like you like fun :) unless your eyes are actually like that, which in that case sorry!

laterlazer

good, hot, fresh, fly ~
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
Your avatar looks like you like fun :) unless your eyes are actually like that, which in that case sorry!

Not me in the avatar but lol nope her eyes aren't naturally like that. :p

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
Huh well intitially I was thinking about this chemically, that both extroverts and introverts have things that they enjoy but because of the way endorpins and such work extroverts would generally just experience more intense highs and lows more frequently while introverts would have more stable moods but with a shorter range. But I suppose that once you personally are able to find what works for you, that is what you become used to and what you choose to obsorbve yourself in more, and the other side would just go against you.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
No. I don't think extroverts are more fun simply because they are extroverted. If Extrovert X has to be in everyone's face and can't shut up about what they want to do while the rest of the group is deciding what fun to do for the night, does that sound fun? No, that sounds like a nightmare. If Introvert X never has any input, never gives their group any direction or suggestions for deciding what fun to do for the night, does that sound fun? No, it sounds like a nightmare too.

Neither sounds fun. They both sound like a pain in the ass and maybe they should go off together while the two groups have fun without them.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I remember trying to hang out with a bunch of extroverts during the first week of university and being unamused by everything they found amusing and exciting.

good for you that you realized this after just one week.

i pretended to be an extrovert in college. i didn't particularly enjoy it but i wanted to belong. it wore on me after a while and as a result i was imbibing at an unhealthy level to "loosen up" enough to overcome my social anxiety and continue the masquerade. after a few semesters of this, i nearly had a nervous breakdown.\

in short, i had a lousy time pretending to be an extrovert, and my idea of fun is any of the following: book, soduko puzzle, documentary, solitary video game session, getting lost in my thoughts, etc.

laterlazer

good, hot, fresh, fly ~
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
good for you that you realized this after just one week.

i pretended to be an extrovert in college. i didn't particularly enjoy it but i wanted to belong. it wore on me after a while and as a result i was imbibing at an unhealthy level to "loosen up" enough to overcome my social anxiety and continue the masquerade. after a few semesters of this, i nearly had a nervous breakdown.\

in short, i had a lousy time pretending to be an extrovert, and my idea of fun is any of the following: book, soduko puzzle, documentary, solitary video game session, getting lost in my thoughts, etc.

Yeah I had the same mentality at the start, I thought to myself that I have to become more social and try to act more extroverted so I can make friends and fit in with uni life better especially as it was my first chance at freedom (my parents were uber strict). But once I realised I didn't enjoy the conversations and activities I went back to doing my own thing quietly. I think a big help for me was the fact that one of my flatmates was super introverted too so there was always at least one person not going out frequently. Her confidence in being herself really boosted mine so I stopped feeling awkward about declining invitations for things and doing my own activities.

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
I find that extroverts do a lot of fun things that I want to do also. So I just do different versions of those things, sans people.

Like... dancing and stuff.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Definitions of fun aside, it might be true that extraverts simply experience more stimulation that falls into their "fun" category than do introverts. Introverts, however, find the same enjoyment out of the lower stimulation activities that they consider fun. So, in that sense introverts have the higher "fun density", or "fun per unit of stimulation". I suppose this could be viewed in terms of a greater efficiency.

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
Definitions of fun aside, it might be true that extraverts simply experience more stimulation that falls into their "fun" category than do introverts. Introverts, however, find the same enjoyment out of the lower stimulation activities that they consider fun. So, in that sense introverts have the higher "fun density", or "fun per unit of stimulation". I suppose this could be viewed in terms of a greater efficiency.

Yeah, in all seriousness I find high density stimulation to be a bit like caffeine. I like the high and the extra energy but it comes with a risk of being too jittery and extreme. e.g. when I'm bristling with happy energy, I'm just as likely to snap excessively when something 'intrudes' on it, such as a criticism or a slight that I wouldn't otherwise pay much attention to.

It's almost like mania. Responses to ALL stimuli are elevated, not just the 'good' ones. So while I enjoy high density stimulation, too much of it pushes me over the edge into crazyland.

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
Also to make a point about how sensitive I am to this stuff, I'm still coming down from a trip to relatives out of state... three years ago.

It feels like it just happened and I can't help it for some reason. What can I say? I'm full up on roadtrip visits for the foreseeable future.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yeah I had the same mentality at the start, I thought to myself that I have to become more social and try to act more extroverted so I can make friends and fit in with uni life better especially as it was my first chance at freedom (my parents were uber strict). But once I realised I didn't enjoy the conversations and activities I went back to doing my own thing quietly. I think a big help for me was the fact that one of my flatmates was super introverted too so there was always at least one person not going out frequently. Her confidence in being herself really boosted mine so I stopped feeling awkward about declining invitations for things and doing my own activities.

:D Good. I have found that introverts with one or two very close introvert friends can have just as much fun as a throng of extroverts--it just might be a different kind of fun, whether it be a low-key one-on-one "partying" (as opposed to a loud party or club) or sitting and theorizing about string theory and singularities.

My parents were strict as well and severely limited my social life throughout high school. I really resented this for a long time because, although I probably wouldn't have been a party animal if they'd let me, it would've been nice to have had a chance to prepare myself for being sent to what was (at the time) one of the top drinking schools in the US.

robowolf

MBTI Type
FREE
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Extroverts are less sensitive to domamine than introverts so they need more stimulation to experience pleasure and get that "rush". Basically an introvert's brain's wiring is different from the extrovert's and so is their idea of fun.

laterlazer

good, hot, fresh, fly ~
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
:D Good. I have found that introverts with one or two very close introvert friends can have just as much fun as a throng of extroverts--it just might be a different kind of fun, whether it be a low-key one-on-one "partying" (as opposed to a loud party or club) or sitting and theorizing about string theory and singularities.

My parents were strict as well and severely limited my social life throughout high school. I really resented this for a long time because, although I probably wouldn't have been a party animal if they'd let me, it would've been nice to have had a chance to prepare myself for being sent to what was (at the time) one of the top drinking schools in the US.

Yeah I really hated that I couldn't get to experience some things before moving to university. I definitely wouldn't have been a party animal either but I always felt like I was missing out on a bunch of things, especially on the off chance that a friend would invite me to a cool party, I only had like one or two friends that were part of the 'in' crowd and I wanted to experience one of those house parties at least once, even if realistically I probably wouldn't have had much fun :p I couldn't even have sleepovers or casually hang at someone's house without my parents demanding to know the people and their family really well either.

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I would say that fun is when you don't have to piss against the wind and you can spend a lot of time with things you like. Most of this world rewards extroverts more (e.g.: most jobs require "team players", if you apply as an introvert then you are pissing against the wind), but you can find your place where introversion can be a huge advantage. In order to have fun you also have to be able to ignore social pressure that would force you to socialize even when you don't want to. Be able to say no without feeling pissed off. If you know how to "use" yourself then you can find joy regardless of your type.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
I guess if I am having fun then I might be engaging more with the environment, i.e. extroverting.

But it can be pretty fun being in my head at times.

I also help others to have fun.