• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What's an IQ Score Worth Anyway?

Ene

MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
5w4
* I apologize, in advance, for any mistakes you may find in this, but I'm trying to type my thoughts quickly, before my measly 25 minute lunch break is over:)

Also, I realize there is another IQ thread, here: http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/general-psychology/1731-mbti-type.html but I was concerned that I veer off course enough that it might be considered a derail of sorts and I didn't want to high-jack someone else's thread. However, if my fellow mods feel it needs to be moved, that's cool.

Bob Sternberg said, back when he was at Yale, that intelligence has nothing to do with an IQ test and after having researched the history and purpose of IQ tests during my pursuit of a Master's Degree [which required me taking some], I'm inclined to agree with him. It seems that throughout history, definitions of intelligence largely depended upon the needs of the society which spawned them.

What I mean is that if I still lived as my ancestors did, then the most intelligent person in my tribe might be the one who could bring down the largest amount of prey in the shortest time with the least amount of effort. It might be the woman who could turn out the best moccasins or the girl who knew where all the best medicinal plants grew, etc.

You may say that's not intelligence, it's skill, but according to cognition expert, Robert L. Costa [as in Costa and Marzano], intelligence isn't about the ability to solve puzzles on a timed test. True intelligence is about the ability to adapt, learn and work cooperatively with others. Costa says that intelligence is not evident when we "know" the answer but rather is made apparent by how we behave when confronted with what we don't know. So, the ability to learn, adapt and benefit humanity in some positive way is considered by some experts in the field, to be the marks of true intelligence.

Sternberg, in his work, Successful Intelligence, says that he considers intelligence to have aspects from three components – analytical, creative, and practical forms. He says that it isn't sufficient to be proficient in one area. There needs to be interplay and connectivity across all three areas. I can't help but thinking of how this plays out in cognitive types and that an individual of any type can be considered intelligent if the individual learns process balancing, or consistently moves toward self-actualization.

When we look at his three components of intelligence we can see that they include strengths of both feelers and thinkers, sensors and intuitives. I am convinced, more than ever, that there is no such thing as a "smartest" type, but rather that there are "smart" people, even geniuses, of all types.

I particularly like this quote from Sternberg and things k the bolded part correlates with MBTI, “Successful intelligence is the kind of intelligence used to achieve important goals. People who succeed, whether by their own standards or by other people’s, are those who have managed to acquire, develop, and apply a full range of intellectual skills, rather than merely relying on the inert intelligence that schools so value. These individuals may or may not succeed on conventional tests, but they have something in common that is much more important than high test scores. They know their strengths; they know their weaknesses. They capitalize on their strengths; they compensate for or correct their weaknesses.” (12)

So what are his three components?

Interestingly, they are components that span all the cognitive types and can be attained by any type.

Analytical
Analyze
Critique
Judge
Compare/Contrast
Evaluate
Assess

Creative
Create
Invent
Discover
Imagine what if....
Suppose that....
Predict

Practical
Apply
Use
Implement
Put in place...
Employ
Render Practical

Costa and other experts broke "intelligent thought" down into twelve basic mental habits. That's not saying there aren't more, but that these twelve mental habits are a present commonality in what they consider to be highly intelligent people.

1. Persistence: persevering when the solution to a problem is not immediately apparent

2. Decreasing impulsiveness--clarifying goals, planning and exploring alternative problem solving strategies and considering the consequences of an action before preforming it or even considering the impact of words before speaking them.

3. Listening to others – with understanding and empathy "Some psychologists believe that the ability to listen to another person, to empathize with, and to understand their point of view is one of the highest forms of intelligent behavior." R.L. Costa

4. Flexibility in thinking-considering alternative points of view or dealing with several sources of information simultaneously. .

5. Metacognition: awareness of our own thinking

6. Checking for accuracy and precision--doing it right verses doing it fast. If someone is performing surgery or working on our car or filling our teeth or whatever...we should hope they shoot for accuracy and precision.

7. Questioning and problem posing-- We are the only species on the planet that actually looks for problems to solve. Questioning, curiosity is one of the legs of intelligent thinking.

8. Drawing on past knowledge and applying it to new situations

9. Precision of language and thought--being precise about what we mean and attempting to clarify what we say so that others can understand. Stephen Covey spoke of this in his Seven Habits of Highly Effective People. First attempt to understand then make yourself understood. Asking questions, clarifying and holding off on snap judgment calls regarding another person's point of view, according to some cognition experts, is an intelligent behavior.

10. Using all the senses - All information gets into the brain through the sensory pathways: visual, tactile, kinesthetic, auditory, olfactory, gustatory. "Those whose sensory pathways are open, alert, and acute absorb more information from the environment than those whose pathways are withered or oblivious." Costa

11. Ingenuity, originality, insightfulness: creativity-- Costa says intelligent human beings are creative. They often try to conceive problem solutions differently, examining alternative possibilities from many angles (lateral thinking)...."They are uneasy with the status-quo. They constantly strive for greater fluency, elaboration, novelty, parsimony, simplicity, craftsmanship, perfection, beauty, harmony, and balance."

12. Wonderment, inquisitiveness, curiosity, and the enjoyment of problem solving –

Well, my lunch break is over so I had better go teach a Math class. I do hope some of you will find something noteworthy in this and perhaps find something to add. As a professional educator, I have long questioned the validity of IQ tests and their value in today's society. I am a strong advocate of multiple intelligences and very strongly feel that it isn't the number on a test that makes the difference but what we do with what we have and how well we are able to use it to the betterment of humanity. Having said that, I know that some of you have read my "20 facts" and are aware that I am a member of a high IQ society, but I just joined out of curiosity. I wanted to know what people did in such a society and the answer is...next to nothing. You'd think that out of a group of 900 geniuses, somebody would be interesting, but most of those guys are just well...kind of dull. I mean sure everyone in the group scored exceptionally high on the test, but listening to a bunch of people brag about test scores isn't exactly my idea of a good time. haha. So, I'm more convinced than ever that having a high score is less important than people once believed it was.

Last edited:

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
I guess that it is a way for people to pat themselves on the back. They can use their IQ score as a cushion if its high, say something like oh but my IQ is so high that no one understands me, and let that excuse run their life. IDK mine, dont have the money to get it done, and I am kind of scared to know.BI always enjoyed that lumosity stuff though and brain games like that.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
After looking down that list of mental habits....well it explains or rather meta-informs a lot about myself.

I knew all that anyhow of course. There was no other way the failures could be so obvious. Gonna work on that persistence.

Never going to leave this flask otherwise.

Luke O

Super Ape
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I have a high IQ but that hasn't translated into success. Sometimes it seems that rather than being clever, self confidence is the key to making it in the world (though being clever can help).

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
I always get, "I don't understand Frosty, why do you intentionally avoid doing the work that I know that you are more than capable of doing." Or, " Just think about how great you could be if you applied yourself." Lots of stuff like that. I have seen people who I think are naturally less capable than me do so much better than I do. Intelligence doesnt always directly correlate to success.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
IQ is worth ill street cred. Duh. :cool:

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
I would add:

13. Memory: Kicking ass on Jeopardy
14. Spatial Awareness: Like that elf dude in the LOTR movies

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
I'd argue with precision. Intelligence is internal, being able to communicate it is reliant upon the listener. Many highly intelligent people struggle to be understood. In common parlance they "operate on a different level" or in more common parlance "talk a load of shit".

I believe what you are describing though is partially covered by LQ. An HR publication listed IQ, EQ & LQ. the first is well known and relates to many of the academic areas of life (unsurprising as it supports the hierarchy), EQ refers to emotional intelligence (wrong person to ask... Beep) and LQ is a measure of how well you apply the other two to your current situation.

I'm always reminded of my ISTJ friend when I see ideas about IQ. He has a degree in economics and a memory for information which is unsurpassed in its bredth and irrelevance. However he is most often a bimbling idiot, especially at reasoning. Ergo his intelligence rarely makes it into use.

GarrotTheThief

The Green Jolly Robin H.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
* I apologize, in advance, for any mistakes you may find in this, but I'm trying to type my thoughts quickly, before my measly 25 minute lunch break is over:)

Also, I realize there is another IQ thread, here: http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/general-psychology/1731-mbti-type.html but I was concerned that I veer off course enough that it might be considered a derail of sorts and I didn't want to high-jack someone else's thread. However, if my fellow mods feel it needs to be moved, that's cool.

Bob Sternberg said, back when he was at Yale, that intelligence has nothing to do with an IQ test and after having researched the history and purpose of IQ tests during my pursuit of a Master's Degree [which required me taking some], I'm inclined to agree with him. It seems that throughout history, definitions of intelligence largely depended upon the needs of the society which spawned them.

What I mean is that if I still lived as my ancestors did, then the most intelligent person in my tribe might be the one who could bring down the largest amount of prey in the shortest time with the least amount of effort. It might be the woman who could turn out the best moccasins or the girl who knew where all the best medicinal plants grew, etc.

You may say that's not intelligence, it's skill, but according to cognition expert, Robert L. Costa [as in Costa and Marzano], intelligence isn't about the ability to solve puzzles on a timed test. True intelligence is about the ability to adapt, learn and work cooperatively with others. Costa says that intelligence is not evident when we "know" the answer but rather is made apparent by how we behave when confronted with what we don't know. So, the ability to learn, adapt and benefit humanity in some positive way is considered by some experts in the field, to be the marks of true intelligence.

Sternberg, in his work, Successful Intelligence, says that he considers intelligence to have aspects from three components – analytical, creative, and practical forms. He says that it isn't sufficient to be proficient in one area. There needs to be interplay and connectivity across all three areas. I can't help but thinking of how this plays out in cognitive types and that an individual of any type can be considered intelligent if the individual learns process balancing, or consistently moves toward self-actualization.

When we look at his three components of intelligence we can see that they include strengths of both feelers and thinkers, sensors and intuitives. I am convinced, more than ever, that there is no such thing as a "smartest" type, but rather that there are "smart" people, even geniuses, of all types.

I particularly like this quote from Sternberg and things k the bolded part correlates with MBTI, “Successful intelligence is the kind of intelligence used to achieve important goals. People who succeed, whether by their own standards or by other people’s, are those who have managed to acquire, develop, and apply a full range of intellectual skills, rather than merely relying on the inert intelligence that schools so value. These individuals may or may not succeed on conventional tests, but they have something in common that is much more important than high test scores. They know their strengths; they know their weaknesses. They capitalize on their strengths; they compensate for or correct their weaknesses.” (12)

Interestingly, they are components that span all the cognitive types and can be attained by any type.

Analytical
Analyze
Critique
Judge
Compare/Contrast
Evaluate
Assess

Creative
Create
Invent
Discover
Imagine what if....
Suppose that....
Predict

Practical
Apply
Use
Implement
Put in place...
Employ
Render Practical

Costa and other experts broke "intelligent thought" down into twelve basic mental habits. That's not saying there aren't more, but that these twelve mental habits are a present commonality in what they consider to be highly intelligent people.

1. Persistence: persevering when the solution to a problem is not immediately apparent

2. Decreasing impulsiveness--clarifying goals, planning and exploring alternative problem solving strategies and considering the consequences of an action before preforming it or even considering the impact of words before speaking them.

3. Listening to others – with understanding and empathy "Some psychologists believe that the ability to listen to another person, to empathize with, and to understand their point of view is one of the highest forms of intelligent behavior." R.L. Costa

4. Flexibility in thinking-considering alternative points of view or dealing with several sources of information simultaneously. .

6. Checking for accuracy and precision--doing it right verses doing it fast. If someone is performing surgery or working on our car or filling our teeth or whatever...we should hope they shoot for accuracy and precision.

7. Questioning and problem posing-- We are the only species on the planet that actually looks for problems to solve. Questioning, curiosity is one of the legs of intelligent thinking.

9. Precision of language and thought--being precise about what we mean and attempting to clarify what we say so that others can understand. Stephen Covey spoke of this in his Seven Habits of Highly Effective People. First attempt to understand then make yourself understood. Asking questions, clarifying and holding off on snap judgment calls regarding another person's point of view, according to some cognition experts, is an intelligent behavior.

10. Using all the senses - All information gets into the brain through the sensory pathways: visual, tactile, kinesthetic, auditory, olfactory, gustatory. "Those whose sensory pathways are open, alert, and acute absorb more information from the environment than those whose pathways are withered or oblivious." Costa

11. Ingenuity, originality, insightfulness: creativity-- Costa says intelligent human beings are creative. They often try to conceive problem solutions differently, examining alternative possibilities from many angles (lateral thinking)...."They are uneasy with the status-quo. They constantly strive for greater fluency, elaboration, novelty, parsimony, simplicity, craftsmanship, perfection, beauty, harmony, and balance."

12. Wonderment, inquisitiveness, curiosity, and the enjoyment of problem solving –

Well, my lunch break is over so I had better go teach a Math class. I do hope some of you will find something noteworthy in this and perhaps find something to add. As a professional educator, I have long questioned the validity of IQ tests and their value in today's society. I am a strong advocate of multiple intelligences and very strongly feel that it isn't the number on a test that makes the difference but what we do with what we have and how well we are able to use it to the betterment of humanity. Having said that, I know that some of you have read my "20 facts" and are aware that I am a member of a high IQ society, but I just joined out of curiosity. I wanted to know what people did in such a society and the answer is...next to nothing. You'd think that our of a group of 900 geniuses, somebody would be interesting, but most of those guys are just well...kind of dull. haha. So, I'm more convinced than ever that having a high score is less important than people once believed it was.

Average IQ + imagination > High IQ in terms of achievement based on the current history. The guy who discovered DNA for example had an IQ of 125. That's high, but most people here probably have a higher IQ.

Sometimes I wonder too, for instance, if someone like Mozart would have scored above 115 considering that he was known to be remedial in all areas of life except for music. Some people even thought he was a moron.

I guess IQ is a very narrow measurement. If we're going to be superficial, income tends to increase for every level up to 135 but tapers off dramatically for every point over 150 - a trade off between intelligence and creativity and compassion I guess...

I'm loosely alluding to and referencing articles I've read from science publications on the internet...there is a lot of literature on it.

GarrotTheThief

The Green Jolly Robin H.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
I have a high IQ but that hasn't translated into success. Sometimes it seems that rather than being clever, self confidence is the key to making it in the world (though being clever can help).

as someone with an above average IQ I find that dynamic and assertive people with very low IQ's are way more successful than someone with a high IQ. Of course, most self made millionaires are not Harvard material but somehow they are able to dominate the world of business.

Nico_D

The Lost One
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I too have a feeling that high IQ can be more of a debilitating factor than actually helping. When most of the people naturally falls in the middle on the Gaussian curve and the more you are on the one end of the spectrum, the further you get from other people. So while highly intelligent individual may have wonderful ideas of how things should be be and done, the problem might be that people in charge - the majority - don't give him the change to make it so. It could be because people with more median intellect can't understand the thinking and what makes those ideas so great. And as is typical, when people can't comprehend something, they say it's false, both the idea and the people behind it.

This is, of course, a generalization. There are highly successful intelligent people.

Also, I don't see any point in IQ score. As said before, it's very narrow view of intelligence and I don't see any point in it except giving people self-confidence and then crush the other by saying "ha, mine's bigger than yours!"

Luke O

Super Ape
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
as someone with an above average IQ I find that dynamic and assertive people with very low IQ's are way more successful than someone with a high IQ. Of course, most self made millionaires are not Harvard material but somehow they are able to dominate the world of business.

It was something I thought of looking into recently, off the back of one of my colleague's recommendations, I just watched one of Anthony Robbins' videos on Youtube. I can see one of the pitfalls of being highly intelligent, the tendency to overanalyse advice and be cynical. But to be honest, there was learnings I could take from it, but at the same time, there are habits I need to unlearn, things that hold me back. Successful businesspeople immerse themselves in things like this, so there has to be more good lessons to be learned. Motivational videos I've seen in the past do seem to hang around a central theme though, and to summarise a lot of them up, here's a 24 second motivational video for everybody.

grey_beard

The Typing Tabby
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Analytical
Analyze
Critique
Judge
Compare/Contrast
Evaluate
Assess

Creative
Create
Invent
Discover
Imagine what if....
Suppose that....
Predict

Practical
Apply
Use
Implement
Put in place...
Employ
Render Practical

Well, my lunch break is over so I had better go teach a Math class. I do hope some of you will find something noteworthy in this and perhaps find something to add. As a professional educator, I have long questioned the validity of IQ tests and their value in today's society. I am a strong advocate of multiple intelligences and very strongly feel that it isn't the number on a test that makes the difference but what we do with what we have and how well we are able to use it to the betterment of humanity. Having said that, I know that some of you have read my "20 facts" and are aware that I am a member of a high IQ society, but I just joined out of curiosity. I wanted to know what people did in such a society and the answer is...next to nothing. You'd think that out of a group of 900 geniuses, somebody would be interesting, but most of those guys are just well...kind of dull. I mean sure everyone in the group scored exceptionally high on the test, but listening to a bunch of people brag about test scores isn't exactly my idea of a good time. haha. So, I'm more convinced than ever that having a high score is less important than people once believed it was.

Nice take.

Here's my favorite IQ Test, btw. :D (Lotsa adaptability on this one!)
A Quick Test

grey_beard

The Typing Tabby
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Average IQ + imagination > High IQ in terms of achievement based on the current history. The guy who discovered DNA for example had an IQ of 125. That's high, but most people here probably have a higher IQ.

Sometimes I wonder too, for instance, if someone like Mozart would have scored above 115 considering that he was known to be remedial in all areas of life except for music. Some people even thought he was a moron.

I guess IQ is a very narrow measurement. If we're going to be superficial, income tends to increase for every level up to 135 but tapers off dramatically for every point over 150 - a trade off between intelligence and creativity and compassion I guess...

I'm loosely alluding to and referencing articles I've read from science publications on the internet...there is a lot of literature on it.

Look up James Sidis -- IQ in some places estimated at ~ 250 (no typo). Or for that matter, Lewis Terman, on the longitudinal studies of gifted children.

GarrotTheThief

The Green Jolly Robin H.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Look up James Sidis -- IQ in some places estimated at ~ 250 (no typo). Or for that matter, Lewis Terman, on the longitudinal studies of gifted children.

The thing is the most gifted artists tend not to be able to even tie their own shoes....I've seen an autistic child who couldn't speak play Mozart's best at half his age...so I don't trust estimates of IQ.

Plus, even if Mozart did have a high IQ it didn't stop him from understanding cause and effect based on some facts of his life...same with Darwin, he married his cousin.

Doktorin Zylinder

I'd say that I'm also partial to a theory of multiple intelligences and not necessarily Gardner's work. Being someone who is thought of as intelligent and too smart for her own good, in many respects, I came to the conclusion long ago that IQ had very little to do with intelligence. Having had my IQ tested in ninth grade, thought a prodigy, and subsequently left for university after the tenth at the age of fifteen, I knew that I was able to do some things that others could not do but I was also painfully aware that I was incapable of things many other people were capable of and had no trouble with, whatsoever.

As someone with Asperger's Syndrome, I have a very difficult time doing many things the average person may take for granted like making friends and having fun in groups. I lack a fundamental social and empathic intelligence; for me, it is purely intellectual. Sarcasm is lost on me and I don't make eye contact, I can't read facial expressions or body language and I have very little of my own, as well. I have few friends and they give me so much leeway in social situations that a lot of people ask them why they are friends with me. In one conversation, a friend asked me what it was like to be so smart and I said to her that is was incredibly isolating. Being capable of discovering the secrets of the universe by no means equates to being able to interact with another human being. There are so many things I can do that inspire awe in others who seem jealous of my abilities in a sense, but to me, sometimes, it's the other way around. I can design a bridge or a building, an artificial organ, timepieces, clothing, new alloys or composites, algorithms, synthetic ecosystems, predict economic markets, solve mathematical problems, figure out the real reason why something is happening, learn a new language, or so many other things, but I have horrible social skills. I come across as arrogant or curt, my musical ability is subpar, and I used to have terrible coordination.

Being an Aspie gave me some wonderful gifts like being a spatial-mechanical savant and the ability to attain multiple doctorates but in a world that requires so much interpersonal exchange, it has landed me in hot water on more than one occasion. I remember reading something about Theodore Kaczynski and how when he was defending his dissertation that someone commented that there were probably twelve people in the country who could have understood what he had discovered let alone appreciated it. Unfortunately, we lost a great mind to his odd idealizations and his subsequent transformation to the Unabomber.

EDIT: And to add that even Keirsey had his own theory of multiple intelligences: tactical, logistical, diplomatic, and strategical.