• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Do you have to forget to truly forgive?

LonestarCowgirl

Right. Which seems worse than any of the other options.
Come on y'all. This is a very common expression and fits the less common definition of forget. By definition, forget also means to neglect willfully; to fail to think of; take no note of (often used imperatively).

It's not humanly possible to forget some things by being unable to remember unintentionally, so it goes without saying, a conscious, willful effort is required to bury errs and leave them in the past.

KitchenFly

Well that's a tricky argument Skinny-Love but it has to be incorrect , it is natural to forget in order to remember.

Other wise we would be unable to discriminate. Mechanical Man is designed to forget and excels at forgiving,. giving the self recollection for the purpose of practicing successful critical thinking, abilities.

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
I read a story of a psychiatrist who was treating a teenage boy who spat at his face every session. The psychiatrist knew the boy was suffering from some trauma and was just lashing out. If you understand what drove a person to commit an offense, it's much easier to forgive.

Irrational people insult me frequently, but it's become water off a duck's back since I understand exactly what their mental state is.

Inarius

MBTI Type
ENTP
I generally forget before forgiving, so I can't say.
My relation is more a +XXX / - XXX level.
If somebody did something bad to me, my relation to them will lower. But I won't remember something in particular.
If somebody did something bad to me, it could happen again. People won't change a lot. I just have to take this into account for the future.

It's not that I don't trust them anymore, it's just that I have to know that, in certain conditions and situation, this particular person will act in a particular way.

INFPtheQuietOne

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
No, they are two different things. I usually stay quiet and come off as gentle and passive towards other people. But I do forgive easily because I barely talk, so I guess high, deep perception might let you forgive easily.