• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

you and authority

Forever_Jung

MBTI Type
ESFJ
My boss told me I'd be the world's worst soldier, because I always question everything, but she said it in a very lighthearted way. I'm not a mean person, but I am very verbally impulsive, and tend to think out loud. Sometimes that rubs bosses the wrong way. Generally, my relationship with authority is like a mischievous but good-hearted son who's always questioning his parents. It's rarely anything too adversarial.

If I think something is unfair or wrong in some way, I'll loudly protest in front of everyone, which tends to piss my superiors off. I'm working on being more tactful in that respect, but it's just like this reflex of indignation.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
for the most part, I tend to treat bosses the exact same as I treat any other coworker, which always seems to offend the ones with sensitive egos about their authority

I also question everything and will argue a point if I know that I'm right even if they think that they are correct

I will go over their heads as well

if they do something unfair I'll bring it up and explain why and remind them if necessary

when things go wrong and I understand the situation better than those in charge I will give them orders in the process of sorting things out without even giving it a second thought

my parents always appreciated a logical argument in response to things that they did, so I never had any issues with them and when I had minions I always appreciated those qualities because I like to have someone hold me accountable as well as me holding them accountable... it feels fair :yes:

the older supervisors at work tend to love me, but they're not the ones who have a say in the day to day operation of things... they like me because I'm very good to have around in a crisis and I have a set of skills and abilities that most people there don't have. I also tell the truth when asked questions regardless of whether it's flattering or not. the day to day guys have their favorites and I'm not it... I'm not cooperative enough and I give them too much shit

I know that if I behaved like the favorites I would get fast tracked, but I just can't bring myself shut up and keep my head down because then nothing will get done. :doh:

probably a pride issue on some level and I don't like being told what to do by someone who doesn't understand what's going on because that makes no sense

Mane

Permabanned
for the most part, I tend to treat bosses the exact same as I treat any other coworker, which always seems to offend the ones with sensitive egos about their authority

I'm the same on that, and I tend to find the normative reaction really counter intuitive. A boss has a job that impact everyone's else's job more then any other, giving less accountability to someone with more responsibility out of "respect" is absolutely ridicules.

Falcarius

The Unwieldy Clawed One
MBTI Type
COOL
Falcarius just tries to get on and do his job. He does not really care for ones standing or office politics. If he disagreed with someone then he who just tell them: he does not really care if they ran the place or if they were just a cleaner. People in authority not used to being challenged in a rational and thoughtful way tend to find it threatening in Falcarius experience.

Most of the employers Falcarius has worked for took it at face value and listened to criticism, but the attitude did not really go down well in his last job. Working in what is supposed to be one of the most prestigious academic environment is an absolute disaster to anyone who is not just prepared to accept authority for the sake of authority. One would have thought an academic environment would be open to intellectual criticism. Sadly, the department and the wider organisation was based on the theory that people were there to serve hierarchy even if the people in power are wrong and those in power could do whatever they wanted. Everyone from the head of operations to the professors would have hissy fits if one even dared disagreed with them, and if you happened to be one of the lowest member of the support staff like Falcarius then god help you.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
As I said to my gaffer when I joined her team "I'd you put out an idea then I'll tell you if I think it's wrong. If you say it's happening anyway then I'll comply but I'll always give you my honest feedback."

As to those shrouded at senior levels, I tend to be scathing whenever I can to try and make an impact. Reckon I'd make a good union rep if I could be bothered to deal with whingers.

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
Not good, but working on making it better.

Nico_D

The Lost One
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I believe authority is not taken but given. If I don't think someone deserves to have an autohority over me, he doesn't. I don't object authority per se, I object bad behavior.

danseen

MBTI Type
INTP
authority is fine, but then meh....I do as I please most of the time.