• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

you and authority

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
what's your relationship towards authority? in general, in specific, on principle, so on and so forth

(not, however, the authority... I don't care what you think about triple h... really)

do you bristle at the very thought of anyone telling you what to do?

do you quietly do as they say while plotting their downfall?

do you not care? :huh:

I'm kind of wondering how other people relate since, after years of being told that I have authority issues, I'm starting to wonder if other people might have a point :unsure:

how do people get through the day without doing something inappropriate?

Cygnus

I had authority issues when I was younger. I was always boisterous and offensive and got in trouble for the stupidest things, reflexively resisting any instruction for the sake of my "independence." The simplest of daily functions became power struggles on a regular basis.

Now I've gotten all withdrawn and quiet and I can't make myself wipe my own nose unless directly commanded to. I'm completely dependent on higher authority at this point. It's terrible.

laterlazer

good, hot, fresh, fly ~
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
Depends, if they're just doing their job and doing it properly without overstepping a boundary or trying to control something I don't believe is under their jurisdiction then I don't mind authority. Even if I might have a problem with some rules I can respect their authority on the matter and sulk in silence. It's when I don't think someone has a right to be doing or saying something that I get annoyed and the person becomes nuisance. I do tend to follow a 'respect is earned' philosophy regardless of a person's age or whatever, so in my eyes you don't really have authority until I've decided you do.

After living with strict parents I promised to never let someone tell me what to do or be bound by rules I want no part in besides the legislations I've agreed to follow (such as with school, the law and so forth).

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Depends almost entirely on whether or not I respect the authority figure.

ReadingRainbows

Cat Wench
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
When people have authority I respect it. When they think they have authority over me and/or make unreasonable requests, I see a large issue and am not compliant. I'm very passive and I'm more likely to just be quietly unhappy and then leave the situation.

Galena

Silver and Lead
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It is my natural orientation to bristle at being told what to do. Some of my earliest memories are of feeling people's orders burn inside me. But I tended to think that it came from something being sideways in me instead of something wrong with the authority. I observed that children were largely judged as good or bad by their willingness to obey and resented that hotly, yet when I was caught ignoring my obligations, felt horrified that my broken compass had been discovered and became vulnerable to the shamer. Other times, I'd bind myself to the rules rigidly but still in a self-absorbed manner that totally missed the point of them, doing it just to spite myself rather than giving any thought to what bigger purpose they might serve outside myself. But I could only do that for so long - it wasn't uncommon that I'd come home from a hard day at school and snap at the first request from a parent.

As an adult, any authority situation I'm in is one I've chosen and agreed to, which is ideal. I choose carefully and prefer those that are as hands-off as possible, and where they're not, have to grit my teeth and remember my commitment - I do not commit to something unless I know I can carry it out to the end. The exception is if an authority misuses their position, I won't bear it for long before I cut ties and choose better. I despise people who misuse power, and if I stick with them, that's as good as supporting them.

I can think of one situation where I regret just walking away, that I didn't do or say something to let them know what practices they did that were wrong. Doubtful it would have made any difference, but that's no excuse. It's been a year since then, and I'm thinking about whether I can still do something to help people in that situation from the outside, that I really ought to.

ayoitsStepho

Twerking & Lurking
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
If they're put into authority and don't give me reason to question their position then I can submit to that. i will always naturally respect an individual until they give me reason not to.

Now if someone comes along and doesn't have authority over me but thinks that they do, it really irks me. People seem to think that just because I'm not loud and authoritative that I want to be led. I don't want to lead or follow, just leave alone to my own devices.

Last edited:

JjJot

MBTI Type
INTJ
The biggest problem I have with authority is thinking I'm smarter or have a better plan than them (a common problem for an INTJ, but definitely other people can relate). It does absolutely nothing helpful, practically speaking.

In general, I pick my battles with authority. Most authority figures would not mind you voicing problems with the situation (but usually not themselves, unless you are very delicate). I believe that most people in authority are going to have some measure of goodwill for the organization/group/business etc. as their success is tied to it, rarely will you find a true totalitarian that you have to be shrewd with or take head on when appropriate.

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My opinion on authority is whatever the person in charge tells me it is.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I don't have a problem with authority as a concept, because society couldn't function without people telling others what to do in some capacity.

As for authority figures, I respect them unless I don't think they are legitimate, fair, and/or capable, in which case I am very quick to rebel against them. In an ideal situation, I would rebel in such a way that they would quickly figure out what they were doing wrong. But if that would put me at risk, and my anger at the situation wouldn't lead me to ignore that risk, then I'd rebel in more indirect ways -- on the aggressive side of the passive-aggressive spectrum.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't have a lot of feelings about authority if they impose in a relatively fair way. It's hard for me to personalize authority, because those who are representative to it are part of a much larger system and often don't have much agency. Also I tend to view rules in general as somewhat optional, so I don't always feel that they are restrictive.

á´…eparted

passages
I don't have a problem with authority as a concept, because society couldn't function without people telling others what to do in some capacity.

As for authority figures, I respect them unless I don't think they are legitimate, fair, and/or capable, in which case I am very quick to rebel against them. In an ideal situation, I would rebel in such a way that they would quickly figure out what they were doing wrong. But if that would put me at risk, and my anger at the situation wouldn't lead me to ignore that risk, then I'd rebel in more indirect ways -- on the aggressive side of the passive-aggressive spectrum.

Basically this.

What I do if I see an authority figure as being incompetent, unfair, bad, etc. I will appeal to another external authority to undo them in some manner. In my experience it usually works pretty well.

gromit

likes this
I think when I was younger I had a lot more issues with authority. I also was a lot more helpless, relative to now, as an adult. But, I also have always kind of been a people-pleaser, so I just felt more torn up inside as a teenager than rebellious or anything really. Like, if authority was saying one thing and my heart felt another thing to be "right"... I had a lot of anguish... pulled in both directions...

Now, I generally have the power to extricate myself from a situation if I truly cannot tolerate the way the authority figures are acting. I also now possess the communication skills and courage to have difficult conversations, to attempt to modify things that don't sit well with me, eg philosophical differences, injustices, etc.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I don't like being told what to do, however, I like people interfering with my life even less. This generally steers me in the right direction when I have to choose to question authority or not. That said, I would be very vocal with abuses of power and have been in the past, whether it was directed at me or someone else.

I seem to get by most days. I guess I'm not going out there thinking FUCK THE MAN!

Passacaglia

I'm kind of wondering how other people relate since, after years of being told that I have authority issues, I'm starting to wonder if other people might have a point :unsure:
What makes you think this, if you don't mind sharing?

I can think of one situation where I regret just walking away, that I didn't do or say something to let them know what practices they did that were wrong. Doubtful it would have made any difference, but that's no excuse. It's been a year since then, and I'm thinking about whether I can still do something to help people in that situation from the outside, that I really ought to.
I'm also curious about this situation, if you don't mind sharing.

If they're put into authority and don't give me reason to question their position then I can submit to that. i will always naturally respect an individual until they give me reason not to.

Now if someone comes along and doesn't have authority over me but thinks that they do, it really irks me. People seem to think that just because I'm not loud and authoritative that I want to be led. I don't want to lead or follow, just leave alone to my own devices.

I don't have a lot of feelings about authority if they impose in a relatively fair way. It's hard for me to personalize authority, because those who are representative to it are part of a much larger system and often don't have much agency. Also I tend to view rules in general as somewhat optional, so I don't always feel that they are restrictive.
All of the above. By way of anecdote, two recent hospital episodes come to mind:

1. So I'm in the hospital with a respiratory infection, so my doctor orders a chest x-ray. A hospital staffer comes to my room to bring me down to the radiology floor. I'd rather walk down, as my legs work perfectly fine and I could use the exercise, but from past experience I know that hospital policy demands I be pushed down in a wheelchair like an invalid. (There's no safety waiver I can sign promising not to sue if I stub my toe or whatever; I tried that last time.) So I get in the wheelchair, and memorize the way as I'm pushed down to radiology. Once my x-ray is taken and the staff dump me in a waiting area, I simply get up and walk back upstairs, asking my nurse to inform radiology that I made it safely back to my room. Look at me, I'm a rebel without a cause! :harhar:

2. I happen to also be diabetic, and have gotten very good at carb-counting and managing my blood sugar level with insulin, which I take immediately with my meals. Some nurses trust me to know how much insulin I need with any given meal, and amiably give me however much I ask for. But others put up a fuss about it; they want me to eat, then check my blood sugar level 30+ minutes later, and then give me insulin depending on that level. I'm sure these nurses are acting according to hospital policy and/or think that they're doing me a favor. But their method would leave me nearly comatose for 90+ minutes after every meal. I had one such nurse this morning, so I had to calmly explain to her and to two Scrubs-characters that I knew what I was doing, and that I wouldn't be eating my breakfast until I got my insulin. After 1+ hour of back-and-forth, them trying to find a full doctor to consult, and not being able to find a full doctor, my nurse finally caved and quietly gave me the insulin I had asked for. My pancakes were long cold by then, but that nurse never questioned my requests again. :)

In general I do my best to avoid situations in which I can't just walk away from problematic authority, but when I can't avoid it and problems do ensue, I find that patience and a bit of tact go a long way.

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
it really depends. i think my moral alignment of "neutral good" kind of describes my relationship to authority. i have a strong desire to 'do what's right'. sometimes that means following the rules, to the very best of my ability. sometimes that means putting my personal spin on the rules (i.e. bending them in a way i don't find harmful to anyone, or maybe even in a way i find more beneficial). sometimes it means completely bucking the rules and sticking to a higher truth. when the latter happens, i become really sensitive to anyone 'correcting' me, because if i've decided to go against authority, it means i have a strong sense that my choice is right for me, and any force trying to get me to conform will be met with my fiery passion of resistance.

this also includes matters in which i believe myself to be my own personal authority (i.e. my body, my style, my food choices, my tastes). when someone attempts to assert authority over me about something i believe that i am the only person whose authority matters, i get a little more rebellious or reactive. this the arena in which i'm most prone to do exactly the opposite of what someone has told me to do. because fuck you. :D

Lark

My experience of authority is that its a failure.

Almost every authority I've met has failed to live up to my expectation of what their role and responsibilities are, the worst sorts are half way aware of it or suspect it and are by turns on the offensive or on the defensive as a cover for it, there's lots of sorts in between that and the best sorts, which generally try to apply some sort "first do no harm" practice but fail at that even.

I wouldnt say that I have any issues of the traditional anti-authoritarian, no one is telling me what to do, your not the boss a me kind, in fact I get pissed off when I see that or experience it from others, whether I'm the authority figure in question or not, the real affective, emotional over reacting kind, the sort which would be the worst kind to ever actually prevail over the authority it opposed, if that was even its goal, because it would be a worse authority than the one it sought to supplant (most of the time that's not what its about, most of the time there's no intent of that, its just a matter of "situation is all fucked, I'm not following your orders, this is all your problem" opposition).

The issues I have are more complex.

I dont like authorities which dont want to be authorities, which reject authoritarianism but dont see authoritarianism as something different from being an authority per se or authoritative, they're marked with indecision, delegation, prevarication, ambivalence and side stepping, side stepping bothers me the most probably because you could question what are they there for or what value are the adding and how are they earning their money or how are they worth it?

Its a performance issue, most authorities dont perform as they should. Its a neglect, competence or even disinterest issue as much as its anything else. Sometimes the expectations are too high of them, maybe their hands are tied or they lack resources but more often its all convenient excuses and a lack of resourcefulness.

That's before you get into questions of corruption or outright wickedness or tyrannising, which are all consequences of different sorts of authority fails, possibly even epic fails. I don really see any of the great dictatorships in history as consequence of a triumph of authority but rather epic failures of authority and their aftermaths.

A lot of the epic, and not so epic and much more mundane, authority fails are a result of people who're barely competent being able to gather enough like minded and like skills challenged people around them and convincing them of an us vs. them myth because as long as people believe they are part of an us and threatened by a them then they are unlikely to look at the faults of failings of any of the us and more likely to believe that the them is a source of concentrated malice any time they have had to challenge how things are done.

That's not to say that there's plenty of people on the other end doing precisely the same thing without being prepared to exercise any kind of reponsibility or authority in turn but you know.

Jaguar

what's your relationship towards authority?

The relationship between my father and I = mutual respect and admiration. That aside, I can give so-called authority figures a hard time. I don't care about titles on business cards or how many zeroes are in your bank account. You have to earn my respect. As for the word "inappropriate," well, that word can vary in meaning from person to person.

In my teens, I was a law unto myself. Good thing I grew out of that. ;)