• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

non-binary gender (not trans)

Kierva

#KUWK
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
or the need to invent 5607 new terms for gender maybe you're a human maybe you're not sleep with who you're attracted to (as long as it's consensual) or if you're not don't....

I agree. I find the terms to be cluttering for us plebeians who stick to the more simple concept of gender.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I agree. I find the terms to be cluttering for us plebeians who stick to the more simple concept of gender.

this has been my point the whole time.

male
female
none
trans

(and none includes inbetweeney of male and female) bam i simplified the shit out of it.

Entropic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm not blaming the victim, because they aren't a fucking victim and if they are they walked into the lion den.

Yes, you are. People don't choose their gender identities, as you seem to imply.

10264304_10153018985873908_6407806379493105849_n.jpg

this has been my point the whole time.

male
female
none
trans

(and none includes inbetweeney of male and female) bam i simplified the shit out of it.

I don't see the problem. If someone says they rather prefer being referred to as "ze", is it really that much of an effort for you to do that in order to make them happy? Not being referred to as "ze" or whatever they feel comfortable with, can cause a lot of distress. They are just words. You don't have to care about them if you don't want to. I mean, look at your own label here lol, "yupp" for your MBTI type? It's exactly the same thing.

Senkrad

MBTI Type
FiTe
Enneagram
YwX
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
But I want those tax-people to know that I am a furry Neko wub-wub inside, and that is why I do not give a shit about taxes!

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I've deleted the last few posts between prpl and Entropic due to insults and hostility. Both of you need to dial it back.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Yes, you are. People don't choose their gender identities, as you seem to imply.

10264304_10153018985873908_6407806379493105849_n.jpg

I don't see the problem. If someone says they rather prefer being referred to as "ze", is it really that much of an effort for you to do that in order to make them happy? Not being referred to as "ze" or whatever they feel comfortable with, can cause a lot of distress. They are just words. You don't have to care about them if you don't want to. I mean, look at your own label here lol, "yupp" for your MBTI type? It's exactly the same thing.

but i'm not insisting special treatment because of it, i'm not pushing for forms to have it on them.

BadOctopus

Suave y Fuerte
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
At the risk of being sucked into this maelstrom of hostility, I have to ask, because I'm bursting with curiosity: Is it even possible to ignore your gender? Aren't you confronted with it every day?

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
At the risk of being sucked into this maelstrom of hostility, I have to ask, because I'm bursting with curiosity: Is it even possible to ignore your gender? Aren't you confronted with it every day?

I don't see why it wouldn't be you gotta be a ducks back though

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Unless you associate every social interaction in your life with sex, yes.

Too many people doing that and it's annoying.

i associate very little with sex in my life, it works well

BadOctopus

Suave y Fuerte
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Unless you associate every social interaction in your life with sex, yes.
That's not really what I mean. I'm not talking about a person's sexual orientation. I'm talking about a person's physical gender. Unless you were born with both sexual organs, or none at all, then you are either a male or a female. It's just a fact. Whether you're straight, gay, bi, trans, asexual, or whatever, that's always going to be a reality. I just don't know if it's truly possible to ignore that.

Cygnus

That's not really what I mean. I'm not talking about a person's sexual orientation. I'm talking about a person's physical gender. Unless you were born with both sexual organs, or none at all, then you are either a male or a female. It's just a fact. Whether you're straight, gay, bi, trans, asexual, or whatever, that's always going to be a reality. I just don't know if it's truly possible to ignore that.

Physical gender stems from sex. Sex exists for the endgame goal of sexual intercourse. Sexual intercourse exists for reproduction.

Bar off the possibility of sexual intercourse, and there's no need to recognize a person's sexual organs. You're not a dick or a vagina anymore -- you're a unit, built to do the same mechanical work the rest of the world does in the same way they tell you.

The social dynamic we've created around males and females is about the facilitation of mating. It serves no practical purpose other than this.

BadOctopus

Suave y Fuerte
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Bar off the possibility of sexual intercourse, and there's no need to recognize a person's sexual organs. You're not a dick or a vagina anymore -- you're a unit, built to do the same mechanical work the rest of the world does in the same way they tell you.
Okay... But those organs are still a part of your body, like any other part. You can refuse to recognize that you have arms, but that doesn't mean they don't exist.

SD45T-2

Senior Jr.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Okay... But those organs are still a part of your body, like any other part. You can refuse to recognize that you have arms, but that doesn't mean they don't exist.

Crabs

Permabanned
i don't care much about people's gender identity, but i understand complaints that arise due to confusion, such as the recent situation in a gym locker room. Planet Fitness revoke's woman's membership after transgender complaint

"Our gender identity nondiscrimination policy states that members and guests may use all gym facilities based on their sincere self-reported gender identity."

i don't understand how objective standards can be enforced upon subjective beliefs. how does an organization even determine whether a person's self-reported gender identity is sincere or not? my Ti is confounded.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
i don't understand how objective standards can be enforced upon subjective beliefs. how does an organization even determine whether a person's self-reported gender identity is sincere or not? my Ti is confounded.
This is essentially the same question that people used to have about gay marriage. The answer being, we can't know that they're sincere about their gender identity -- but we have never known that they're sincere, so in that respect nothing would change.

so my question is why? do they care so much? I'm not talking about trans which would be different from non-binary, and i can understand the need because if you are transitioning from man to woman and going to a doctor or something, somethings are gonna be off they just are. But with non-binary until you can ken doll your genitals there's not i use for it and just seems whiney.
I suspect that the problem is that it seems wrong to some people -- it feels like lying about it. And just because you don't feel that way doesn't mean no one else should. Nor does it mean that EVERYONE should.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Yes, it's not possible to ignore things like physical attributes, or the types of hormones coursing through your body. But a large part of what we consider being a gender is non-biological cultural construct (clothing, colors, mannerisms, relationship roles), as you are well aware, and that's what people refer to in this context. That's why people have to make further distinctions between what you're born with and all that other stuff that you identify with (cis-gender, gender-queer).

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i don't care much about people's gender identity, but i understand complaints that arise due to confusion, such as the recent situation in a gym locker room. Planet Fitness revoke's woman's membership after transgender complaint

"Our gender identity nondiscrimination policy states that members and guests may use all gym facilities based on their sincere self-reported gender identity."

Since there are probably as many XX females that are mistaken for XY men (at least with clothes on), as trans females that use a given sports club bathroom, it sounds like they've chosen that statement as a more workable standard than taking blood samples and/or inspecting driver's licenses at the door (each of which has its own problem) or some other equally flawed solution.

The statement of course goes on to note why she actually got kicked out:

Still, when it comes down to self-identification, yeah, there's gonna be some kerfluffle in the United States (which has always drawn some sharp gendering lines) while all of this butts heads and works itself out. I expect us to be adding more unisex bathrooms over time, with more stalls, for one. (You'll see single-person bathrooms in some restaurants doing this now -- they'll have two unisex bathrooms rather than a male and female. But our old bathroom "infracture" was always very gender regimented.)

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp

I wasn't referring to trans in the op. but somehow it got misconstrued that i was, and that i hate them, none which is true. but yeah i wouldn't care if a dude used a woman's restroom like a dude in trucker hat and plaid peeing in a closed stall is not sexual to me. its not about trans my issue is the people who invent labels. I'm for equal rights and self expression but i feel like if you are inventing a gender label but you've never been ridiculed for how you dress or behave and claim to be oppressed that's where i have the issue. i'm against actual oppression and in an ideal world people could id as the gende kangaroo, but its not an ideal world. here's my impression of it: someone touches a hot stove then sues the stove for abusing them. that would be the people i'm refering to. a hot stove jumps out of the closet and attacks them. that would be the people who transition, who have actually been bullied because of their race, gender, or sexuality. the first thing is bs and takes away from actual issues. the second is legit

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I wasn't referring to trans in the op. but somehow it got misconstrued that i was, and that i hate them, none which is true. but yeah i wouldn't care if a dude used a woman's restroom like a dude in trucker hat and plaid peeing in a closed stall is not sexual to me. its not about trans my issue is the people who invent labels. I'm for equal rights and self expression but i feel like if you are inventing a gender label but you've never been ridiculed for how you dress or behave and claim to be oppressed that's where i have the issue. i'm against actual oppression and in an ideal world people could id as the gende kangaroo, but its not an ideal world. here's my impression of it: someone touches a hot stove then sues the stove for abusing them. that would be the people i'm refering to. a hot stove jumps out of the closet and attacks them. that would be the people who transition, who have actually been bullied because of their race, gender, or sexuality. the first thing is bs and takes away from actual issues. the second is legit

I can see this sort of thing as being a matter of safety more than anything else. I think Louis C.K. once said the number one cause of death and injury to women are men. As egalitarian as I try to be, this really can't be ignored.

Otherwise, yeah, people can just learn to deal. I've hung out in places that have only unisex, multi-stalled, bathroom facilities. Or had gender separated ones where the ladies just weren't willing to wait in the ever present line in front of the women's room. It doesn't bother me when a girl pops in as I'm using the urinal, nor is it sexual. But this is learned. These things we get hung up on aren't necessarily natural human instincts, they're taught/learned reactions.