• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

"Cures" prevent the study of spontaneous remission?

Lark

I'm reading a book about madness, ie psychosis, which discusses how the studies of psychiatrists and psychologists in the fifties and sixties were often long scale, thirty year biographies, which were able to study "spontaneous remission" or ways in which individuals with unmistakeable psychosis or "madness" adapted to their own "madness" and how it effected them in the world.

Then there was the breakthroughs in pharmaceuticals which actually do transform the illness and therefore the lives of sufferers, however many of them never experience the "adaptive curve" which was once so studied.

What do you think about this?

I'm mindful of the fact that this could reflect changes in research and development, studies academic and professional etc.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
What do you mean by they don't experience an "adaptive curve"?

I am interested in this subject.

Andy

Supreme High Commander
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6

I think he what means is they learned to cope with their condition, a bit like a man with one leg getting really good at hopping.

One the plus side, this adpative cure is entirely self contained - that is, they never have to worry about running out of their medicines, because there aren't any. This makes the patient more independent, which is usually good for confidence and self esteem. On the down side, it's going to take longer than a pharmacautical cure and no matter how good at it you get, hopping is unlikely to ever be as good as walking with two legs, or even a prosphetic.

I supose it raises questions over the capabilities of the patient. If they can achieve such as thing in a resonable space of time, it may well be preferable to leaving them hooked on pills for the rest of their life. Then again, other patients would just get worse. I guess that's on of the difficulties of being a psychiatrist.

Lark

When the pharmaceutical fix, or rather treatment, wasnt available a longer term study indicated, the author indicates, eventual adjustment which isnt going to happen if at the early stages pharmaceuticals can provide a different sort of fix more quickly.

Gamine

in-game
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w2
I'm reading a book about madness, ie psychosis, which discusses how the studies of psychiatrists and psychologists in the fifties and sixties were often long scale, thirty year biographies, which were able to study "spontaneous remission" or ways in which individuals with unmistakeable psychosis or "madness" adapted to their own "madness" and how it effected them in the world.

Then there was the breakthroughs in pharmaceuticals which actually do transform the illness and therefore the lives of sufferers, however many of them never experience the "adaptive curve" which was once so studied.

What do you think about this?

I'm mindful of the fact that this could reflect changes in research and development, studies academic and professional etc.

What is the book? I'm curious now.

Lark

What is the book? I'm curious now.

Its the latest to be reviewed on my amazon.co.uk account, I think I rank 681 or something like that of the top reviewers, go read my review, vote and comment if you like, tell your friends too.

Gamine

in-game
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w2
Its the latest to be reviewed on my amazon.co.uk account, I think I rank 681 or something like that of the top reviewers, go read my review, vote and comment if you like, tell your friends too.

Amazon's Top Customer Reviewers

I have not stalked you enough to know what your username is on this site. I also lack the attention span to go through a few hundred pages to find out who the 681st reviewer is. I'm still interested in reading your review, but I don't have a half hour to kill going through pages hoping to find you. Apologies if I'm just technology challenged and there's an easier way of doing this.

93JC

I have not stalked you enough to know what your username is on this site. I also lack the attention span to go through a few hundred pages to find out who the 681st reviewer is. I'm still interested in reading your review, but I don't have a half hour to kill going through pages hoping to find you. Apologies if I'm just technology challenged and there's an easier way of doing this.

It's easy, his username is the same there as it is here and it's the one with the profile picture with a corgi in it.

I cordially invite you all to visit my profile on Amazon.co.uk and vote on my reviews of everything, leaving helpful votes and comments if you choose. My profile has a picture of my Corgi and my username is Lark as it is here. I am about 510 in the rankings of reviewers at the moment. Thanks in advance for taking the time.

Lark

Amazon.co.uk :profile for Lark

That might work.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
My experience with anti-psychotics, is that they just dull your thoughts altogether. You no longer have delusional thoughts as strongly because your mind goes somewhat blank. As such, you don't learn about the nature of the delusions controlling your thinking, so you don't adapt to the thoughts. I think the idea is that, if you get rid of the thoughts, and then work on rebuilding your life, you will come back without the delusions, but I don't know if it works like that. I may be misconstruing how anti-psychotics work, but that is my subjective experience.