• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Hatred of the True Self

Swivelinglight

Permabanned
I've been watching a lot of Mad Men lately, and it's funny how prominent the false self is in that show, and I'm assuming in that time period. It does have its uses though. Things mesh well and people function properly and efficiently. I can see how having the false self ruling a life could be bad, though.

PerfectlyConfused

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
So been reading,

Jung Cog functions = Core/Root of personality (brain)
MBTI = based on behaviours

If this is correct, why would any one want to use MBTI when so many people copy each other, and society shapes us however they can.
How is any one supposed to know who they are then?
Well answering the MBTI questions isn't exactly a 100% easy test score chore, with the wording, either.

It's also a bloated version of Jungs stuff basically.

Why wouldn't people prefer to use Jung Cog functions for their personality?
(apart from people think they can type easier with 16 available)

i mean, you can still be you on the inside, just put on your MBTI mask on the outside.

This is right, isn't it?

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
I think alot of people, especially once they get into MBTI, start trying to shape themselves towards whatever type they believe themselves to be. For example, if you believe yourself to be an INTP, you might always try to appear as T as possible so other people dont start to make you question your type. If you want to come off as an N you might try to add more metaphors and analogies in your behavior. Its like a characature (sorry if I spelled that ridiculously wrong, you stress aspects of yourself that are already slightly prominent (and are there), to a ridiculous and unneccesary degree.

PerfectlyConfused

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
[MENTION=15528]Frosty[/MENTION]
That's the thing though that I'm trying to say (and almost posted something about)

People talk about how draining in it is in the wrong type, but no one talks about mind vs personality, what if you're told or test as the wrong one, and because you do find traits, and familarity with others in that type, you're probably going to take it. This is especially seductive for types like INTPs, because "people do suck", i've been there, so they pulled further away from other types, reinforce each others behaviour (in a type specific forum), argue/debate and call it social interaction, and i've watched them because I didn't click what was happening.
There is several other things they do as well. I managed to break free from the spell or numbness/detatchment for a better word, because of a relationship with my INFJ, which being into personal growth as well, I went from T80%~ to 1%, opened up, allowed myself to be vulnerable.

INTPs, like I said above. How is someone supposed to get out of that reinforcing cycle?
I used to be like randomINTP on this forum, except for me I acknowledged it as narcissistic traits, not full blown narcissm. It's so f*cking difficult to not say something. (especially when you have a compulsion to which has been reinforced for years)

If what I said in my post before this one, Jung = where personality starts, and MBTI personality measured by behaviour, then use two types, sure as hell be a lot less stressful on self than not knowing and having outside suffocate the life out of you, because you'll have a foundation.

I test as INTP, and I have behaviours like INTP and developed, but ENFP on Jungs cog functions, and THAT feels like me, or at least what i've grown to. (and I'm positive I was ENTJ in the past)

If this is true, Jung - core you, MBTI - mask you, a sticky should be made (I haven't seen one)

What also needs to STOP being said is "you're stuck as what you are" which is BS, that needs to be reclarified. When i first heard it, it was "no. it's FIXED. End of". Which simply isn't true. How many people believe that now?
I went from unhealthy non emotional T80%~ to feeling and expressing and feeling a lot better in myself. Not holding everything in. (still work in progress ofc, but it stands)

I'm going off on one again. Goddamn Ne/Si High Fe/Fi.

Someone please this to a mod. (even if you can't see what i'm saying)
(unless my functions are just screwing with me and I sound crazy xD Well, at least I know I feel better than I have in years)
Point made any way.