• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The trick to the DSM is quite simple really - here it is in simple if/the cond logic.

GarrotTheThief

The Green Jolly Robin H.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
If Person A does not conform to 9 hour/day work schedule
Then Check to see if Person A has sources of Income for Support

If Income for Support < than Needed
Then Person A has Condition(Choose one at random())

To paraphrase: THE DSM evaluates disorders which lie on a spectrum. There is nothing wrong with treatment but the psychological profession is in the decline because it aligns itself with the idea that if a person cannot produce x amount of work hours they are "add" "asberger" "engage in disorganized thinking."

Could you imagine Andrew Carnegie's Managers having a discussion about incompetent steal mill workers: "Yeah...John has to start drinking mercury because he is engaging in disorganized thinking when he can't work on the steal line for 12 hours a day and has to keep taking breaks every ten minutes to drink some water."

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
One problem is the insurance company racket.
They don't pay if you don't use a DSM diagnosis code.

So even if a doctor is not sure whether you have an actual condition or not, they still have to assign you "something" in order to get paid... at least that's what it looks like to me, based on my personal experience with doc offices and bills. I've had claims denied for not having a DSM code attached OR having a non-covered code attached.

As far as the rest, just because Uncle John had to "walk butt naked through forty miles of snow and worked in in the coal mine twenty two hours a day for just half a cent"* doesn't mean it was psychologically good for him; but as you note... you don't have ADD just because you can't work an assembly line for twelve hours with minimal break time. The human mind/body just isn't made for that, is it? There's some stuff in the DSM that is useful, some stuff that makes me want to roll my eyes. The sweet spot is probably somewhere in the middle. They do revise it every 10-15 years and add new stuff and remove others.

*quoting the esteemable Dr. Alfred Matthew Yankovic here...

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I think most people who have ADD don't have ADD.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think most people who have ADD don't have ADD.

Agreed. I was officially diagnosed years ago. I think that diagnosis was wrong--the psychiatrist failed to consider autism spectrum disorders when evaluating me.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Agreed. I was officially diagnosed years ago. I think that diagnosis was wrong--the psychiatrist failed to consider autism spectrum disorders when evaluating me.

that and a lot of people use the dx as a crutch. i've known people who were dxed adhd took adderall scripts for years abused it even was forced to give it because of the shit caused and are doing great without it. believed they needed the drug turned out they didn't

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
One problem is the insurance company racket.
They don't pay if you don't use a DSM diagnosis code.

So even if a doctor is not sure whether you have an actual condition or not, they still have to assign you "something" in order to get paid... at least that's what it looks like to me, based on my personal experience with doc offices and bills. I've had claims denied for not having a DSM code attached OR having a non-covered code attached.

Or unsupported codes or incorrect codes or undercoding..... Unfortunately, there isn't a DSM-IV dx for what's caused by having to correct incorrect coding. But there should be.

GarrotTheThief

The Green Jolly Robin H.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
I work in that industry now. I've done the job and know exactly what you mean and it's painful and should be illegal.
[MENTION=4050]ceecee[/MENTION] [MENTION=7]Jennifer[/MENTION]

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
Isn't that the premise of every disorder? If it doesn't meet expectations then you have a problem?