• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

ADHD, Dyslexia?

Yaru

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I was telling my partner that I think I have ADHD, and he said that I probably have dyslexia instead.
I don't wan't to go to see a doctor for this because I don't want to get medicine or that kind of bullshit that mess with your brain.
But I am interested in understanding what's going on with me so I can manage myself better. It's kinda hard to deal with me sometimes.

I thought I had ADHD because even if I am extremely lazy I have this urge of nervously start tapping my feet or hands around or playing with whatever is in a close range. When I'm talking on the phone, or just thinking about what I need to say to people, I start walking around the room like crazy, I even run sometimes without noticing, I jump on the bed, or move my arms in odd dance-y ways. And whenever someone enters my room is extremely embarrassing.
I always need to multitask something. I can't be doing just one thing. I always forget what I was going to do because at the time I was about to start doing it I would be reminded of something else and go do that instead.
I would find myself in the kitchen or the bathroom or some other place and I don't really remember why, so I often end up eating or washing my teeth for some unknown reason.
I either wash my head like 4 times or no times at all.
It's not that I am lazy or messy, but I just can't clean stuff because I get distracted in the middle of that action.
Whenever my parents started yelling and me and ranting about all the things I've done wrong, I never listened because I was to busy thinking about how ugly they were looking with such an enraged expression, and contemplate the way the sweat started to come out of their skin pores, or the way reflection of the sunlight in their eyes altered their eye color.

My partner said I probably have Dyslexia because my body and brain don't work at the same pace.
Indeed I started walking at 2 years old, and the doctor said I couldn't walk because my brain was faster than my legs, and I was thinking of taking the second and third step when I still didn't take the first one, so I would fall down continuously. And I never walked properly until my 4th years or so.

When I read a book I can't really concentrate on what I'm reading because I'm trying to always guess what's going to happen next so I go forward to see if there's something that interests me and eventually come back to understand the details later.
When I'm trying to know more about a subject I just scroll down pages and pages reading tiny bits of words and then making up the concept in my own head, until I THINK I know it, but when people ask me about it I realize that I don't really know much about or I don't know how to explain.
I also can't never read a book or watch a movie because I spend the first half an hour thinking about how many books I will read or how many movies I will see after that, and the better and knowledgeable person I'd become if I always tried to learn so much. And at the end I read no books and watch no movies.Which is frustrating, because when I do, I do actually learn a lot from them.

AM I AFRAID OF LEARNING TOO MUCH?

I don't know much about dyslexia though, even because it seems that there are different kinds, but I can relate with things I ''read'' so far.

Could I have both? Or am I misdiagnosing myself because I confuse personality type with some psychological disorders?
How can you tell apart cognitive functions and disorders?

Sorry if this sounds like a meaningless rant.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I believe you would know if you had dyslexia when you were learning how to read. plus they don't give meds for it you just kinda do therapy/exercises for it.

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
I recently read that 80% of children with ADHD have excessive delta waves (which usually occur during sleep). This is the phase of sleep when the brain rests.

For non-drug treatments of ADHD, you may want to look into neurofeedback therapy.

Neurofeedback Therapy an Effective, Non-Drug Treatment for ADHD

Another relatively safe approach is the use of phosphatidylserine:

The effect of phosphatidylserine administration on memory and symptoms of attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder: a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled clinical trial.

CONCLUSIONS:

PS significantly improved ADHD symptoms and short-term auditory memory in children. PS supplementation might be a safe and natural nutritional strategy for improving mental performance in young children suffering from ADHD.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I recently read that 80% of children with ADHD have excessive delta waves (which usually occur during sleep). This is the phase of sleep when the brain rests.

For non-drug treatments of ADHD, you may want to look into neurofeedback therapy.

Neurofeedback Therapy an Effective, Non-Drug Treatment for ADHD

Another relatively safe approach is the use of phosphatidylserine:

The effect of phosphatidylserine administration on memory and symptoms of attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder: a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled clinical trial.
I'll try it, but it probably will not work. Nothing REALLY works...

Yaru

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I believe you would know if you had dyslexia when you were learning how to read. plus they don't give meds for it you just kinda do therapy/exercises for it.

I think so, but since I was a bilingual child I think it was harder to figure out what was dyslexia and what confusion due to the new language and stuff. I read and wrote in a language I barely knew, so I can't tell very well.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I think so, but since I was a bilingual child I think it was harder to figure out what was dyslexia and what confusion due to the new language and stuff. I read and wrote in a language I barely knew, so I can't tell very well.

Bilingual is cool! I am barely bilingual, but true bilinguals can do almost anything! Teach people English in a foreign nation!

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but the only person who can know is a doctor who knows how to diagnose you properly. A good doctor can give you MANY options for treatment.

I doubt you have dyslexia, it is pretty crippling.. Your brain involuntarily displaces things, it isn't so much a matter of it being so fast that it's slow necessarily. I think concentration and focus is your issue--along with a unhealthy dose of immaturity issues.

Now a days people are quick to be scared of doctors (particularly younger generations) because they don't want medicine right away.. it's a swing from the previous generations wanting instant-pills for everything, and doctors feeling pressured to deliver results.

ADHD does have medicines--and they DO work for some people. For some they do not, and either way it is an obstacle that must be managed. As prpl said, therapy and focus training is more likely to be on the menu than medicine right away so long as you make it clear you are seeking conservative treatment first. If it is truly severe, and you cannot function, then yeah I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the potential for you to live a functioning lifestyle.. Ask yourself if you have a poor quality of life right now. There is a reason people take pills that manage their pain, diseases, etc. even though it doesn't make them go away and has lots of side effects. The quality of your day to day life can greatly determine the quality of your life past and future. It affects you greatly. A good doctor will work with you.

Saying you want more conservative options first is not against the law or anything, doctors cannot FORCE you to do anything. They are not scary monsters.. and if one is particularly mean or dismissive of your circumstances, there is another more compassionate and willing to listen in your area.

Drugs are not used lightly, despite the fact that it seems so... but typically conservative methods are not really so effective, and that's why doctors tend to jump for the medicines with ADHD--they at least show results in some people.

Yaru

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but the only person who can know is a doctor who knows how to diagnose you properly. A good doctor can give you MANY options for treatment.

I doubt you have dyslexia, it is pretty crippling.. Your brain involuntarily displaces things, it isn't so much a matter of it being so fast that it's slow necessarily. I think concentration and focus is your issue--along with a unhealthy dose of immaturity issues.

Now a days people are quick to be scared of doctors (particularly younger generations) because they don't want medicine right away.. it's a swing from the previous generations wanting instant-pills for everything, and doctors feeling pressured to deliver results.

ADHD does have medicines--and they DO work for some people. For some they do not, and either way it is an obstacle that must be managed. As prpl said, therapy and focus training is more likely to be on the menu than medicine right away so long as you make it clear you are seeking conservative treatment first. If it is truly severe, and you cannot function, then yeah I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the potential for you to live a functioning lifestyle.. Ask yourself if you have a poor quality of life right now. There is a reason people take pills that manage their pain, diseases, etc. even though it doesn't make them go away and has lots of side effects. The quality of your day to day life can greatly determine the quality of your life past and future. It affects you greatly. A good doctor will work with you.

Saying you want more conservative options first is not against the law or anything, doctors cannot FORCE you to do anything. They are not scary monsters.. and if one is particularly mean or dismissive of your circumstances, there is another more compassionate and willing to listen in your area.

Drugs are not used lightly, despite the fact that it seems so... but typically conservative methods are not really so effective, and that's why doctors tend to jump for the medicines with ADHD--they at least show results in some people.

I don't want to take medicines just because I don't consider it a real issue. It was a big deal when I was back in High School and I had to study but I couldn't. I never had bad grades, but that's because I absorbed whatever teacher was saying while I doodled on the desk. If I keep my brain busy with an activity that calms down my brain and relaxes it, and doesn't require a particular effort I can unconsciously concentrate on everything that surrounds me. It's actually inspiring most of the times. If my brain didn't process information in this strange way I don't think I could make art at all.
I believe this is a problem that bothers more other people than myself. Because they want me to behave like a regular person.

I have a extremely controversial relationship with doctors. A part of me is fascinated by medicine and all that. And a part of me sees corruption in every single corner.
Regular medicine is okay if I don't abuse of it. I never need medicine anyway because I am never sick. But ''mind'' medicine feels just wrong to me.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I don't want to take medicines just because I don't consider it a real issue. It was a big deal when I was back in High School and I had to study but I couldn't. I never had bad grades, but that's because I absorbed whatever teacher was saying while I doodled on the desk. If I keep my brain busy with an activity that calms down my brain and relaxes it, and doesn't require a particular effort I can unconsciously concentrate on everything that surrounds me. It's actually inspiring most of the times. If my brain didn't process information in this strange way I don't think I could make art at all.
I believe this is a problem that bothers more other people than myself. Because they want me to behave like a regular person.

I have a extremely controversial relationship with doctors. A part of me is fascinated by medicine and all that. And a part of me sees corruption in every single corner.
Regular medicine is okay if I don't abuse of it. I never need medicine anyway because I am never sick. But ''mind'' medicine feels just wrong to me.

I mean, you didn't give much information, and I don't really want much more.. Your situation is your own. You'll have to evaluate what is going on and what to do.. but I'd think good and hard about why you're seeking a diagnosis.

What I see a lot of times lately is people claiming they don't like doctors as a way to avoid taking care of their health.. or from identifying that they have a problem at all. It's used as avoidance. And sometimes people go seeking diagnoses as if that'll help the problem.

I don't know you, or your life, or anyone in your life. But a diagnosis is pretty useless without an intervention of some sort. Your particular comment about your parents trying to sit you down and talk to you, throwing all of their emotions at you because they're at their wits end, and the ONLY thing you can think of is that they look ugly? That doesn't sound like just ADHD to me.. that sounds like immaturity and an escapist personality with some denial about your own self. Even people with ADHD can focus for a moment on such a tense situation directed straight at them. ADHD people have trouble with art because it requires concentration and patience. Narcissism, though, can easily glance over and dismiss it, and pick and choose when they can concentrate.

So... What are you trying to seek as the end game here? To simply identify why you're like this, so that you can explain it to others better? To not be alone feeling like you're the only one with this problem? Is it to secure a diagnosis to actually take steps to correct the issue, or to cling to it like a crutch, or to simply have it in the background of your mind? Google won't diagnose you. Forum members won't either. They'll shout out what it sounds like to them.. but that isn't an explanation.

Why do you truly avoid doctors? Bad experiences with them? With only one? Is it to escape a potential reality? Do you just find it pointless because you believe they're all corrupt no matter what? Or that they're pointless because you know if they didn't say what you'd like you'd dismiss them for any number of reasons because the only option that would be left with a diagnosis of 'you're normal' is that you're probably not so great of a person somehow? Would it expose a diagnosis other than the one you're hoping for, which could be a very scary thing?

These are all reasons I see people avoiding doctors. Usually it has very little to actually do with corruption in the medical world. While that is a motivator, it is normally not even near the main motivator to avoid ALL doctors. Usually something subconscious is working beneath there.

Clearly I don't care if you take medicines or not. I'm just saying medicine is a viable option, and that dismissing it so quickly and broadly is the mentality that keeps mentally ill from getting treated. No one wants to be sick, or have something wrong with them--or worse, trying to be convinced that something is wrong with them when they're in denial.

Whatever it is you do, for whatever reasons, luck to you.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
tbh I doubt you either one, maybe you do. you could have something but i doubt these. which is why online diagnosis are useless. plus none of us can actually help you. We don't get the full picture.

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
That's not dyslexia. Dyslexia is a disorder of phonological processing. It makes it difficult to break down language to its smallest units or phonemes. It also causes some other things, too. I've got two kids with it.

Here is a good page on it: Bright Solutions | What is Dyslexia?

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
That's not dyslexia. Dyslexia is a disorder of phonological processing. It makes it difficult to break down language to its smallest units or phonemes. It also causes some other things, too. I've got two kids with it.

Here is a good page on it: Bright Solutions | What is Dyslexia?
Thank you I'm reading the bit on dysgraphia I was diagnosed with written expressive disorder which has dysgraphia as part of it. So pretty much i read normally so the input was fine but the output was reversed which a clue should've been given when I was in preschool and able to say the alphabet backwards flawlessly but could not do it forwards or the fact that i still have to sit and think which way 7 faces. I had the option to do exams orally but i never did because as a kid you don't want people to know these things because i remember i'd be getting help with math and lets say they answer was 57 i'd say that outloud then write like 64. Then my mom or tutor or whoever would point it out, so i can't imagine how many times i did that and didn't catch it. But things like that and dyslexia tend to get noticed when you enter school and start learning to read and write. Best I can explain it is I have issues with output, input is fine. it's like (I've over come it at this point for the most part but I was in Occupational Therapy as a kid and that might be part of the reason) i'm a mirror so my brain reflects things like a mirror does and that's the output. I'm probably boring you, sorry.

Yaru

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I mean, you didn't give much information, and I don't really want much more.. Your situation is your own. You'll have to evaluate what is going on and what to do.. but I'd think good and hard about why you're seeking a diagnosis.

What I see a lot of times lately is people claiming they don't like doctors as a way to avoid taking care of their health.. or from identifying that they have a problem at all. It's used as avoidance. And sometimes people go seeking diagnoses as if that'll help the problem.

I don't know you, or your life, or anyone in your life. But a diagnosis is pretty useless without an intervention of some sort. Your particular comment about your parents trying to sit you down and talk to you, throwing all of their emotions at you because they're at their wits end, and the ONLY thing you can think of is that they look ugly? That doesn't sound like just ADHD to me.. that sounds like immaturity and an escapist personality with some denial about your own self. Even people with ADHD can focus for a moment on such a tense situation directed straight at them. ADHD people have trouble with art because it requires concentration and patience. Narcissism, though, can easily glance over and dismiss it, and pick and choose when they can concentrate.

So... What are you trying to seek as the end game here? To simply identify why you're like this, so that you can explain it to others better? To not be alone feeling like you're the only one with this problem? Is it to secure a diagnosis to actually take steps to correct the issue, or to cling to it like a crutch, or to simply have it in the background of your mind? Google won't diagnose you. Forum members won't either. They'll shout out what it sounds like to them.. but that isn't an explanation.

Why do you truly avoid doctors? Bad experiences with them? With only one? Is it to escape a potential reality? Do you just find it pointless because you believe they're all corrupt no matter what? Or that they're pointless because you know if they didn't say what you'd like you'd dismiss them for any number of reasons because the only option that would be left with a diagnosis of 'you're normal' is that you're probably not so great of a person somehow? Would it expose a diagnosis other than the one you're hoping for, which could be a very scary thing?

These are all reasons I see people avoiding doctors. Usually it has very little to actually do with corruption in the medical world. While that is a motivator, it is normally not even near the main motivator to avoid ALL doctors. Usually something subconscious is working beneath there.

Clearly I don't care if you take medicines or not. I'm just saying medicine is a viable option, and that dismissing it so quickly and broadly is the mentality that keeps mentally ill from getting treated. No one wants to be sick, or have something wrong with them--or worse, trying to be convinced that something is wrong with them when they're in denial.

Whatever it is you do, for whatever reasons, luck to you.

Thank you the time you took to answer me. I'm sorry, I know I shouldn't have written this thread, it is pointless indeed. I just wanted to know if someone related to me. But i always talk more than I should and now I regret it.
I don't think I can afford a doctor right now but I'll consider talking to one in the future.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Ever think you're just smarter than the average bear?

Maybe you need something more challenging to tax your brain completely and so you introduce distractions kind of like playing looping code through an additional core on a processor just so they're all engaged.

Personally I'd say don't make a problem unless one exists. If you have lots of energy then great. It's only a problem when it causes a problem. Otherwise it's just part of who you are.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Thank you the time you took to answer me. I'm sorry, I know I shouldn't have written this thread, it is pointless indeed. I just wanted to know if someone related to me. But i always talk more than I should and now I regret it.
I don't think I can afford a doctor right now but I'll consider talking to one in the future.

My point was not to invalidate your need to express things and explore this issue, but to encourage it.. Only to say that it is pointless to talk about what you have.. so much as why you are seeking the reasons behind it. It is to encourage conversation, but from a more productive stand point. Not to shut you down and say 'oh you just need a doctor and that's that.' What is productive and can lead to real answers without resources is exploring the reasons why you're seeking this diagnosis. What the true roots are that pain you and get you to ask the questions.. Whether a diagnosis is really even what you need--or if there are other just as reasonable answers and potentials out there and explore with introspection.

I don't think the thread is pointless, I just think trying to focus on a diagnosis that isn't confirmed is pointless without getting all the data necessary first. You seem very young, and I know many people who feared being ADHD, stupider than most, "bad at school" "bad at adult stuff" etc. etc. just because they were particularly immature, inexperienced, and it took a bit more time and life experience to get them growing up.. and when they did, they realized it was only this.. or that.. I'm rambling now. XD

Yaru

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
My point was not to invalidate your need to express things and explore this issue, but to encourage it.. Only to say that it is pointless to talk about what you have.. so much as why you are seeking the reasons behind it. It is to encourage conversation, but from a more productive stand point. Not to shut you down and say 'oh you just need a doctor and that's that.' What is productive and can lead to real answers without resources is exploring the reasons why you're seeking this diagnosis. What the true roots are that pain you and get you to ask the questions.. Whether a diagnosis is really even what you need--or if there are other just as reasonable answers and potentials out there and explore with introspection.

I don't think the thread is pointless, I just think trying to focus on a diagnosis that isn't confirmed is pointless without getting all the data necessary first. You seem very young, and I know many people who feared being ADHD, stupider than most, "bad at school" "bad at adult stuff" etc. etc. just because they were particularly immature, inexperienced, and it took a bit more time and life experience to get them growing up.. and when they did, they realized it was only this.. or that.. I'm rambling now. XD

Yes, indeed, I just can't help it but feel like this... every time I talk too much about myself makes me sick.Feels like I did something wrong. I can't help it. But I also keep doing it, because I try to explain myself better so I can fix it, but it just makes it worse.

Yes.. I think that since as a kid all the children my age never liked me for no apparent reason, I began to look for the things that are wrong in me. I got used to look for the flaw.

When people get violent I can't concentrate on their words because they destroy me. Even though sometimes I tried so hard to listen to them, but even if I tried it was like my head was underwater and I couldn't hear what they were saying. But it happened when I was younger, so it's not an issue right now.

The school psychologist told me that the only problem she saw in me was that I am like a sponge, and I absorb everything that is around me. Everything that is negative, and I can't concentrate because the fact that the neighbor's golden-fish died is unconsciously concerning me a lot.
She also told me that the best advice she could give me was to get some distance from all the negative people in my life and live in a happy environment until I clarify stuff.
But it isn't as easy because everyone seem to have problems and it weighs down on me so much.

I know this sounds weird. I don't really believe I have any of those disorders, I just feel like I start understanding people with those symptoms because when I learn about them I imagine what is like, and it confuses me because I don't understand if my imagination is so strong or I do have all those symptoms for real
I mean. I don't think I have ADHD, but I can relate with those people so much that I feel like I must be like them.

I never had bad doctor experiences.
my parents wanted me to see a doctor just in extreme cases, so I don't really know about that... I fear that if I go to the doctor he will find all the things that are wrong in me and I kept inside from years. And if they are wrong I would still believe it and I will eventually start feeling like that.

For example, when I was a kid I was ok with vaccines and all that, they didn't scare me. Once I heard about a person that was terrified about getting one. I tried to imagine the way that person must feel and now whenever I even just imagine needles I feel a shiver down my spin, Its just terrifying.

Again_Chloe

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
You obviously have problem with these stuff, you dont want to call it a 'disorder' because it would (in your eyes) mean you are flawed but i look at it this way - whatever is making your life harder and dysfunctional is a disorder in some way.
There is all that propaganda about autism for example where they are trying to describe it as a normal variation in population and not a disorder, but at the same time those same people suffer often because their entrapment in their body <- so tbh it is still better if they could change, for them.
same with this. I relate a lot with what you're saying. And if people are jumping on your throat to stop being like this (as if it is only a switch you can turn off) you will react even more defensively and try to protect it as if it is part of you. I did the same. I mean, in the end it is a biological condition and it doesnt matter how you react but it makes you struggle more emotionally with it without focusing on the core issue - dysfunction

cant tell how big is your dysfunction but you should at least check your thyroid (TSH above 3.0 is a bad thing) because it can be a hidden cause for this.
there are other possible causes like anemia, food sensitivities, infections.

mind disorders arent any different than body. its the same.

i took 3 months of antibiotics and it destroyed my mind completely, my IQ dropped 30 points, i cant read, i developed minor dyslexia, dysgraphia, all from antibiotics. it will pass but i want to give as an example how just something like that can change even your IQ, so why identify with stuff like IQ or ADHD as part of your personality?! if they get in your way to feel normal and happy and function, they are disorders.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Yes, indeed, I just can't help it but feel like this... every time I talk too much about myself makes me sick.Feels like I did something wrong. I can't help it. But I also keep doing it, because I try to explain myself better so I can fix it, but it just makes it worse.

Yes.. I think that since as a kid all the children my age never liked me for no apparent reason, I began to look for the things that are wrong in me. I got used to look for the flaw.

When people get violent I can't concentrate on their words because they destroy me. Even though sometimes I tried so hard to listen to them, but even if I tried it was like my head was underwater and I couldn't hear what they were saying. But it happened when I was younger, so it's not an issue right now.

The school psychologist told me that the only problem she saw in me was that I am like a sponge, and I absorb everything that is around me. Everything that is negative, and I can't concentrate because the fact that the neighbor's golden-fish died is unconsciously concerning me a lot.
She also told me that the best advice she could give me was to get some distance from all the negative people in my life and live in a happy environment until I clarify stuff.
But it isn't as easy because everyone seem to have problems and it weighs down on me so much.

I know this sounds weird. I don't really believe I have any of those disorders, I just feel like I start understanding people with those symptoms because when I learn about them I imagine what is like, and it confuses me because I don't understand if my imagination is so strong or I do have all those symptoms for real
I mean. I don't think I have ADHD, but I can relate with those people so much that I feel like I must be like them.

I never had bad doctor experiences.
my parents wanted me to see a doctor just in extreme cases, so I don't really know about that... I fear that if I go to the doctor he will find all the things that are wrong in me and I kept inside from years. And if they are wrong I would still believe it and I will eventually start feeling like that.

For example, when I was a kid I was ok with vaccines and all that, they didn't scare me. Once I heard about a person that was terrified about getting one. I tried to imagine the way that person must feel and now whenever I even just imagine needles I feel a shiver down my spin, Its just terrifying.

See, now we're really getting somewhere. The only way to learn another language is to talk that language. The only way to learn about yourself--is to talk about yourself. You say you have an aversion to this.. Why? It's okay to talk about yourself.. It isn't a negative thing. It's how we learn.

you seem like you might just be a very sensitive person. There are a lot of online resources for sensitivities to others.. but two great ways to start on the road to combating this sensitivity is to firmly establish one's self in your own mind, and distance yourself from things that you know you cannot handle.. know your limits, while systematically pushing to create larger comfort zones. It's okay to empathize with people without it destroying your own life. It's okay to see someone else in irrational fear of needles.. and feel for them.. but without being so engrossed in their own fears that they become your own. Your psych seems to have dismissed you too soon.. a good psych can do a lot of good guiding a person through exercises like that.

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I was telling my partner that I think I have ADHD, and he said that I probably have dyslexia instead.
I don't wan't to go to see a doctor for this because I don't want to get medicine or that kind of bullshit that mess with your brain.
But I am interested in understanding what's going on with me so I can manage myself better. It's kinda hard to deal with me sometimes.

I thought I had ADHD because even if I am extremely lazy I have this urge of nervously start tapping my feet or hands around or playing with whatever is in a close range. When I'm talking on the phone, or just thinking about what I need to say to people, I start walking around the room like crazy, I even run sometimes without noticing, I jump on the bed, or move my arms in odd dance-y ways. And whenever someone enters my room is extremely embarrassing.
I always need to multitask something. I can't be doing just one thing. I always forget what I was going to do because at the time I was about to start doing it I would be reminded of something else and go do that instead.
I would find myself in the kitchen or the bathroom or some other place and I don't really remember why, so I often end up eating or washing my teeth for some unknown reason.
I either wash my head like 4 times or no times at all.
It's not that I am lazy or messy, but I just can't clean stuff because I get distracted in the middle of that action.
Whenever my parents started yelling and me and ranting about all the things I've done wrong, I never listened because I was to busy thinking about how ugly they were looking with such an enraged expression, and contemplate the way the sweat started to come out of their skin pores, or the way reflection of the sunlight in their eyes altered their eye color.

My partner said I probably have Dyslexia because my body and brain don't work at the same pace.
Indeed I started walking at 2 years old, and the doctor said I couldn't walk because my brain was faster than my legs, and I was thinking of taking the second and third step when I still didn't take the first one, so I would fall down continuously. And I never walked properly until my 4th years or so.

When I read a book I can't really concentrate on what I'm reading because I'm trying to always guess what's going to happen next so I go forward to see if there's something that interests me and eventually come back to understand the details later.
When I'm trying to know more about a subject I just scroll down pages and pages reading tiny bits of words and then making up the concept in my own head, until I THINK I know it, but when people ask me about it I realize that I don't really know much about or I don't know how to explain.
I also can't never read a book or watch a movie because I spend the first half an hour thinking about how many books I will read or how many movies I will see after that, and the better and knowledgeable person I'd become if I always tried to learn so much. And at the end I read no books and watch no movies.Which is frustrating, because when I do, I do actually learn a lot from them.

AM I AFRAID OF LEARNING TOO MUCH?

I don't know much about dyslexia though, even because it seems that there are different kinds, but I can relate with things I ''read'' so far.

Could I have both? Or am I misdiagnosing myself because I confuse personality type with some psychological disorders?
How can you tell apart cognitive functions and disorders?

Sorry if this sounds like a meaningless rant.

From the op it sounds far more like ADD than ADHD.
People with ADD can find it very difficult to concentrate and become distracted easily. Often considered to be quite dreamy and aloof.

Dyslexia does affect things like time management and organisation and also loosing things (yep), it can also have the appearance of dreaminess at times. However primarily it is concerned with the way the brain takes in written information and the phonological processing of such.

Also many people have several differences from the norm. It os not unusual to find someone with adhd and dyslexia. Or dyslexia and dyspraxia, for example.

I think this is as good a place as any of the non medically specific places you could ask these kinds of questions.

Just having a general scan of sites, this one looks to have some fairly sound information.

Adult ADD / ADHD: Signs, Symptoms, Effects, and Treatment

KitchenFly

Your problem sounds to be a difficult I hope you find a solution soon.

Last edited: