• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

10 years to being a genius in something

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
:huh: i am doing that all the time and my Te is weak. Such plans, '' i need to spend 4hrs a day studying German and in 4 months i am fluent'', but i never follow through ;)

I said calculation, not planning. the key word in my previous post is precision. but yeah, I know what you mean, though I hardly consider it "planning" in my own case :p

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
hedge fund management, financial trading, etc

Yaru

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I didn't read the whole thread, but are you saying that the average person who is no genius needs at least 10 years to master something a genius masters in no time?
I think it depends on many things.

What is the ''Genius'' skill level?
I don't consider myself a genius, I can't even score more than 106 in an IQ test. But I was fluent in Italian in 6 months after I moved to Italy, and I never heard anyone talk in Italian before. Of course my Italian wasn't extremely good, but it was average like most people.
Yes, I was a 8 year old, and kids learn fast. But 3 years ago I started learning English out of the blue and even if I am no master at it I can still talk English for hours even at a fast speech pace.
On the other hand my partner who has an IQ of 170-80 can't even say more than 2 correct sentences in a foreign language. Even if he tries hard at it.

This subject is extremely relative and is incorrect to try to apply a general rule to it.

Axwell

MBTI Type
IXTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I think the 10 year rule isn't exactly the same for everyone and is more a motivation. If so, I would probably put 10 years into becoming a novelist or writer. :D