• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Crazy people and MBTI[c]

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
I see anger and madness everywhere I go.

"It's the world gone crazy cotillion."

Chesler, Laing, Szasz said it well. Madness is a reasonable reaction to an unreasonable situation.

Just stroll through your local Walmart and listen. . .

(Oops. I think that biases the sample.)

INA

now! in shell form
MBTI Type
intp
Sometimes it's easy to miss the madness.
I don't have a local Walmart. :sadbanana: Please say more on how it biases the sample.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Just stroll through your local Walmart and listen. . .

(Oops. I think that biases the sample.)

:rofl1: *pictures moms smacking thier kids around*

Me? Frequently described by psychiatrists as being in an almost continual hypomanic state with an occasional dip into mild depression (occasional as in once every couple of years :doh:).... there's worse states to be in I suppose! :D

it would make sense that perhaps more disturbed people would be here though- psychological problems lead to an interest in psychology and this would be an offshoot I'd suppose :thinking:

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
Sometimes it's easy to miss the madness.
I don't have a local Walmart. :sadbanana: Please say more on how it biases the sample.

Wow! A human who has lived without that desecration of economic necessity. Kewl.

Oh, it's just sorta a joke, IF. The oppressed and downtrodden fill the aisles. So do middle class people who want to save time and bucks. All the while they are supporting a monolith of a big box store whose values are a piece of what is causing the problem.

Yeah, whatever. I've seen more child abuse in Walmart than I've cared to witness. Sigh.

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
:rofl1: *pictures moms smacking thier kids around*

Me? Frequently described by psychiatrists as being in an almost continual hypomanic state with an occasional dip into mild depression (occasional as in once every couple of years :doh:).... there's worse states to be in I suppose! :D

it would make sense that perhaps more disturbed people would be here though- psychological problems lead to an interest in psychology and this would be an offshoot I'd suppose :thinking:

A tad of hypomania is not a bad place to dwell. It looks quite attractive on you!

INA

now! in shell form
MBTI Type
intp
Ah. TY.

Chesler, Laing, Szasz said it well. Madness is a reasonable reaction to an unreasonable situation.

So what label do they give unreasonable reactions to reasonable situations?

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
I dunno. If they did I can't remember. Common sense? Inevitability? Hee.

I'll address the OP for a sec.

Since I stopped working outside of my home regularly I have waaaaay too much time to hang out on the puter and I indulge myself.

I have a RL also but enjoy the convenience of communication by machine. Gives my impulsive self a moment to think before put my foot in my mouth. Heh. Looks better that way when your sox match.

So. My observation has been that there are many people in my computer who are experiencing some sort of limitation in their lives. It may be as simple as a lack of motivation to do whatever they're avoiding in RL. Or it may be a physical handicap which hampers their ability to get out and do their chatting in RL.

Here we are certainly a collective bunch of delightful characters. I think more so than some of my other forums. And there is a definite generosity of spirit here in self-disclosure that I don't see elsewhere except as it applies to the particular forum topic.

I'm here for the same reasons that I show up in RL. To learn more, out of curiousity, to work on creating and sustaining a mental and emotional balance in my life.

ygolo

My termites win
I think there is a high level of neurosis on the forum, but not psychosis.

Many of us are sick, but not crazy.

That is a rather important distinction.

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
I think there is a high level of neurosis on the forum, but not psychosis.

Many of us are sick, but not crazy.

That is a rather important distinction.

On a related note, I reject medical definitions for mental states, for the most part. They're just not helpful to most people and labeling a mental state can be a self-fulfilling prophecy. Do you know anyone entirely happy, self-actualized, and living the life they want? The common dimension is that they probably don't spend a lot of time introspecting.

niffer

MBTI Type
ENfP
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think that MBTI may attract people who are different or eccentric. I will not debate about whether these people would be labeled crazy or not. I suppose everyone is different, but some of us are more different than others.

If some one is average or normal, they probably never stop to think: "Why am I am normal?" or "Why am I fortunate enough not to struggle with fitting in?"

I can't speak for everyone, but I spend lots of time thinking things like "Why am I different?" "Why is it my brain doesn't seem to function the way most people's do?" "Why is it so hard for me to fit in?" "Is this a mental problem or just a difference?" I imagine it was this way for other people who are different as well, or at least some of them. Some people act like I made a deliberate effort to be different, like this was a choice I made. It never felt like a choice to me. It just felt like being myself.

I have looked at various material - psychology, pop psychology, self help and New Age - to try to answer some of my questions. Of all the different material I look at the best sources to answer my questions have been personality typing. It gives me answers: I am different because I am a rare type. My brain doesn't function the same as most people's because I am not the same type as most people. It is hard to fit in because I am a different type then most people. It isn't a mental problem, it's just a different type.

I admit, I have some eccentricities that are not accounted for by type, but it does account for many of them. Difficulty expressing feelings, day dream quite a bit, percieved as not social enough, difficulty putting ideas in words - that is just a "normal" INTJ.

Ilah

I agree.

It seems to me that most of us have a "normal switch" we turn on for convenience during most of our daily activities.

IRL I only know of one person that considers me to be seriously mental (he isn't a friend of mine). Most other people think just think I'm slightly to extremely odd. But most people are odd in their own way, so this doesn't have an effect on anyone. Plus, I'm quite high up on the "social ladder" if one exists in my community, and I believe I live a very well-rounded and socially acceptable/respectable lifestyle. I am very aware that the way I think and do things are often very much different from most others, but this doesn't seem to be an issue.

Let's be realistic. Most people I know, even most of my closest friends- if they saw the things we were talking about on here and the way we talked about them, they be all "wtf". I know some people that would definitely be like "You're..a weird kid. You're fucked up." if they knew, but mostly because of the fact that I'm communicating with people online.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Every N I've ever heard of could probably be officially diagnosed with a mental illness. Probably every SP and ISxJ too. ESxJs are gods among men when it comes to livin' f'n proper, I guess.

niffer

MBTI Type
ENfP
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
^ Come to think of it, I find that plausible as well.

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
I found this site back in summer..autumn 2007 when I was recovering from burnout, and had recovered from depression. Seeking ways to understand myself, find my "true" personality and perhaps "cure" myself were the motivations to enter the site.

I was reluctantly accepting to the possibility of other, severe mental disorder during my stay in here and before. Burnout & depression recurred in autumn 2007, and the suggestions of laymen - both members and people from RL - succeeded to unnerve me enough to seek help, during which the possibility of other health issues were removed.

I had recovered fully by the autumn 2008, and actually thought, "mission accomplished, move on". I thought, I've got much to do, and with the psychological issues having being examined enough and resolved, my job was in the RL. Mostly working my ass off, I gathered.

I have a rather low view of laymen pushing their diagnoses at the moment, tho I'm glad they pushed me to examine the issues. One friend of mine, for example, currently relies on the diagnosis of a medically unqualified "healer" for her step father's Alzheimer's disease.

Wild horses

MBTI Type
ENFP
I think that the mentally unbalanced often go on a search for something deeper. They view the world from a different perspective and so the average secular explanation of reality won't quite cut it for them.

There is alot of insanity in my family and they are usually the people who subscribe most strongly to a specific belief system; one is a hardcore astrology person, several are devout christians and then there are a few into spirituality and personality profiling (mediums and the like) and often hang around graveyards.

wolfy

awsm
Every N I've ever heard of could probably be officially diagnosed with a mental illness. Probably every SP and ISxJ too. ESxJs are gods among men when it comes to livin' f'n proper, I guess.

I was thinking that today.

I think everybody's crazy. What's sanity? :shock: