• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why are you here? What does it do for you?

devaf

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I start this thread to invite your views in retrospect as to why you came to personality typology, what are or were your inner drivers that led you here?
And, now that you are here, how do you like it? What does this typology in general and this forum community in specific give you?
In my case I think there are multiple.

• Dissatisfaction with relationships in work and personal life and the need for some way to address and improve on that. IMO, this is progressing.
  • Search for a way to link subjective experience to scientific method. This is going to be a study and work of a lifetime and I would like to complete the initial learning curve and move on in earnest towards this.
  • Make new friends - This is a great place to do that I am sure. Probably someone needs to give me pointers, maybe even a 101 on making new friends in TypC, lol.

Mole

Permabanned
I was invited here by Geoff. He told me this is a tolerant and well run site and it is.

I am not dissatisfied with my relationships personally or at work.

And I would strongly emphasise that mbti is fantasy it is knows not the scientific method.

After 15,000 posts I have friends in the real world but not one friend on Typology Central.

I am not here for what it does for me, but what I can do for you.

The most important thing to say is that Typology Central does not provide therapy, rather it facilitates acting out in company, which is anti-therapeutic.

But the tell tale sign is that Typology Central recruits vulnerable neurotic school children without the knowledge or permission of their legal guardians.

á´…eparted

passages
I learned about typology in 2004, and thought it was rather interesting. In 2008 I discovered the INFJforums and joined there, eventually became a mod, eventually became an admin, and then left in 2011. Didn't go on any typology forum, think about it, or anything until 2014. That's when I decided to come here. I like forums (I used other forums in between that time that catered to different themes), I find them to be very satisfying for a multitude of reasons. I like the banter, discussions, communites, drama, dynamic, etc. and it's an enjoyable way to pass the time. In hindsight typology has never been useful to me (not nescessary), and I consciously came to that conclusion after I left the INFJforums. TypoC is more or less coffee klatch for me, sans the soggy vapidness (most of the time :D).

The most important thing to say is that Typology Central does not provide therapy, rather it facilitates acting out in company, which is anti-therapeutic.

But the tell tale sign is that Typology Central recruits vulnerable neurotic school children without the knowledge or permission of their legal guardians.

And incidentally what you mostly do is just tick people off. Cause we all know how much you just love typology, and delight in belittling anyone who enjoys it even in the slightest.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I understand make new friends, but not the rest. I came here initially because I couldn't figure out my type. I stayed here because I got socially involved, and also dropped my LiveJournal for a number of reasons. Then over time it becomes like family or something, this place where you know people, despite troubles and flaws, it's familiar, and you don't want to embarass yourself on Facebook like your ESFP ex bf, and this seems like a more tolerant neutral zone. I actually avoided it for a while, because I thought the dynamics were off, but recently Highlander took over, and I actually find him more informative and supportive now ( I think he's some kind of MBTI counselor? ) It's pretty much like I no longer have a LiveJournal and other people might not know what I am talking about. I have friends and family, and maybe if I was completely absorbed in raising a family or something else it wouldn't be important to me anymore, but it's nice to communicate with and bounce ideas off of people who you don't necessarily know irl. If I said some of the things I say here on Facebook, I would probably have a lot less acquaintences and networking. I like sort of safety here. Not like close friends, of course, but more like a tolerant group of people, even if they judge me, some people understand me, and it doesn't have dire consequences on my every day life. I come here to write and talk and vent. It's my third place. In Raleigh, NC there used to be a cafe called the third place. ..people have home, work, then they need the third place to talk and socialize, for some people it's a bar, or a church, for me it's Typology Central and Personality Cafe.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I learned about typology in 2004, and thought it was rather interesting. In 2008 I discovered the INFJforums and joined there, eventually became a mod, eventually became an admin, and then left in 2011. Didn't go on any typology forum, think about it, or anything until 2014. That's when I decided to come here. I like forums (I used other forums in between that time that catered to different themes), I find them to be very satisfying for a multitude of reasons. I like the banter, discussions, communites, drama, dynamic, etc. and it's an enjoyable way to pass the time. In hindsight typology has never been useful to me (not nescessary), and I consciously came to that conclusion after I left the INFJforums. TypoC is more or less coffee klatch for me, sans the soggy vapidness (most of the time :D).

And incidentally what you mostly do is just tick people off. Cause we all know how much you just love typology, and delight in belittling anyone who enjoys it even in the slightest.

I think the funniest part of personality forums are the numerous regulars who either say they hate or don't need personality theory.

However, I have an interest in psychology and the human condition, so I like being around people who are interested in psychoanalysis and just being able to observe and interact with a mixed group of people. I don't share your disdain for Typology though. I would stop coming around if I didn't find it useful. I am not the sort of person who goes to church during absence of faith.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I was invited here by Geoff. He told me this is a tolerant and well run site and it is.

I am not dissatisfied with my relationships personally or at work.

And I would strongly emphasise that mbti is fantasy it is knows not the scientific method.

After 15,000 posts I have friends in the real world but not one friend on Typology Central.

So you don't like any of us, and are here to pass out pamphlets?

á´…eparted

passages
I think the funniest part of personality forums are the numerous regulars who either say they hate or don't need personality theory.

However, I have an interest in psychology and the human condition, so I like being around people who are interested in psychoanalysis and just being able to observe and interact with a mixed group of people. I don't share your disdain for Typology though. I would stop coming around if I didn't find it useful. I am not the sort of person who goes to church during absence of faith.

I don't have disdain for typology. I'm more or less neutral to it. I used to be HEAVILY into it years ago and in a way treated it like a gospel. It put labels on things which felt nice and seemed logical. As someone with aspergers the appeal of it was immense. I find people fascinating. Always have and always will. In hindsight I realised I used it mostly as a justification tool, which isn't good. Also when I learn something about myself, it just goes into practice and I adjust accordingly. It doesn't require as much active thought as I thought I did. A lot of what I did was MASSIVE overthinking.

Chthonic

And, now that you are here, how do you like it? What does this typology in general and this forum community in specific give you?

I just found the variety and depth of the discussion here better than most other places. A lot of internet forums all devolve into bickering, insults and maniacal defense of stupid ideals. I haven't found that so much here. The typology stuff is interesting but my interest in it comes and goes.

devaf

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I enjoyed reading the replies. I must say one can learn a lot here. example i had to search the net to understand
[MENTION=20829]Hard[/MENTION]
TypoC is more or less coffee klatch for me, sans the soggy vapidness (most of the time
and
totally agree with [MENTION=22016]Chthonic[/MENTION] who
...just found the variety and depth of the discussion here better than most other places

The pure social value of TypoC is also nice to hear of.I agree with [MENTION=6877]Marmotini[/MENTION]
but it's nice to communicate with and bounce ideas off of people who you don't necessarily know irl

I briefly scanned some of the latest posts by Mole. Based on that, I did not see any personal belittling, but consistently offering contrary inputs. Though necessarily brief, they are articulated ok. I do not find anything wrong in his reply here also. I imagine it to be born from the skeptic toolkit structured for hard science. Its bound to run contrary on a typology forum and as long as its not personal I would certainly consider his views.

I have this personal view thats whats very comfortable to many generally, must generally be good for you in terms of the 'intelligence of the human body'. Like chocolate, wine, salted food and start extending it to things like meditation or mbti, lol. Of course, one wonders how something like smoking can fit in here. Also I argue against myself by recollecting a tamil proverb that says 'an excess of even the nectar of immortality acts as a poison'.

It is interesting to see the aspergers brought up here. I have a relative who is rather severe degree autistic. Don;t know exactly about that. But I was thinking about the physiological basis of behaviour and personality a lot and then thereafter its extension into religion or spirituality and the bases and effects in the body. But, I cannot do or pursue anything concrete in that line. If I can set the clock back, being a scientist in a University would be something I will really think about.

Its what I will also settle into in no time, I suppose, a nice place to hang out now and then, once the learning curve flattens out.

devaf

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
[MENTION=360]prplchknz[/MENTION] , oops i did it again. this is, i think, the third time i opened that dang spoiler button of yours. i reminded myself not to do that again, but fall into the trap yet again.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
[MENTION=360]prplchknz[/MENTION] , oops i did it again. this is, i think, the third time i opened that dang spoiler button of yours. i reminded myself not to do that again, but fall into the trap yet again.

I do not control your actions and it is not a trap. it's there to not make pages take forever to load

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So this is just a "why am I here" thread.

Cygnus

My INFJ brother introduced me to MBTI and I went nuts over it. Wanted to type myself for certain but couldn't. Figured people on an internet site could.

I'm still here because this is an oasis in the internet where you're not surrounded by foolish jerks. And basically I love you guys.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It started with an interest in MBTI, mostly to have a way to understand myself. But, mostly this has been a forum of expression and exploration for me, a place to be exposed to and to try on new ideas, and attempt to really be me in a controlled 'space' and see what it means before I unleash myself on the greater world.

That was the original intent.

robowolf

MBTI Type
FREE
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
1) I got bored of PerC;

2) I want to know what knowledgeable (hopefully more than me) people think;

3) for the lulz.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I enjoyed reading the replies. I must say one can learn a lot here. example i had to search the net to understand
[MENTION=20829]Hard[/MENTION]
and
totally agree with [MENTION=22016]Chthonic[/MENTION] who

The pure social value of TypoC is also nice to hear of.I agree with [MENTION=6877]Marmotini[/MENTION]

I briefly scanned some of the latest posts by Mole. Based on that, I did not see any personal belittling, but consistently offering contrary inputs. Though necessarily brief, they are articulated ok. I do not find anything wrong in his reply here also. I imagine it to be born from the skeptic toolkit structured for hard science. Its bound to run contrary on a typology forum and as long as its not personal I would certainly consider his views.

I have this personal view thats whats very comfortable to many generally, must generally be good for you in terms of the 'intelligence of the human body'. Like chocolate, wine, salted food and start extending it to things like meditation or mbti, lol. Of course, one wonders how something like smoking can fit in here. Also I argue against myself by recollecting a tamil proverb that says 'an excess of even the nectar of immortality acts as a poison'.

It is interesting to see the aspergers brought up here. I have a relative who is rather severe degree autistic. Don;t know exactly about that. But I was thinking about the physiological basis of behaviour and personality a lot and then thereafter its extension into religion or spirituality and the bases and effects in the body. But, I cannot do or pursue anything concrete in that line. If I can set the clock back, being a scientist in a University would be something I will really think about.

Its what I will also settle into in no time, I suppose, a nice place to hang out now and then, once the learning curve flattens out.

Oh, I love Mole, but he hangs out here to warn people mostly about the evils of typology. It's a hobby he's apparently been pursuing for years.