• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Is true happiness attainable?

GarrotTheThief

The Green Jolly Robin H.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
here are some quotations:

"The happiness of your life depends upon the quality of your thoughts: therefore, guard accordingly, and take care that you entertain no notions unsuitable to virtue and reasonable nature." ~ Marcus Aurelius

"Happiness is a journey, not a destination; happiness is to be found along the way not at the end of the road, for then the journey is over and it's too late. The time for happiness is today not tomorrow." ~ Quoted by Paul H Dunn

The Dali Lamma says something similar. Happiness is not the destination but the way and the path to the destination.

Like [MENTION=22109]Evee[/MENTION] said in his beautiful summary/poem....

Happiness cannot be grabbed or wrestled in to submission. I believe one must meditate or subdue happiness gently or let happiness subdue oneself.

Try meditating ten minutes a day for a few months and I think you will be delightfully surprised. Research different meditation techniques and pick the one best for you.

Mademoiselle

noʎ ɟo ǝʇnɔ ʍoH
MBTI Type
-NTJ
Enneagram
5w4
And if you program your brain so it gets happy when it senses light?
Happiness can be brought with anything, it depends on your receivers.
Faking smile is known to drive people -who cannot control their emotions- happy.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'd say it is their goal although I am unsure if they attain it or not. But they are the ones who practise that state more than most.

That sounds cool. I just found secular budhism online. I might look into it.

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
I thought of this thread when I read this article:

Most people misunderstand life

“TV is not for me. I must have something to live for, problems to solve. Most people misunderstand life. Money does not make you happy. Comfort does not make you happy. It is only by using energy you create more energy and it is that surplus of energy that makes you happy and healthy.”

For this 75 year old boat builder, happiness means building a boat and sailing around the world non-stop.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
And if you program your brain so it gets happy when it senses light?
Happiness can be brought with anything, it depends on your receivers.
Faking smile is known to drive people -who cannot control their emotions- happy.

Happiness evolved to reinforce proper behaviours (my opinion). Things like exercise, human contact, achieving goals.

I smile though when I am feeling unhappy, and as long as I am not too unhappy, it helps me to feel happy. It really does change your mindset. And changes those around you.

Mademoiselle

noʎ ɟo ǝʇnɔ ʍoH
MBTI Type
-NTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Happiness evolved to reinforce proper behaviours (my opinion). Things like exercise, human contact, achieving goals.

I smile though when I am feeling unhappy, and as long as I am not too unhappy, it helps me to feel happy. It really does change your mindset. And changes those around you.

And yes, this is the correct way to program your brain. And the default mode.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Is it possible to be truly satisfied, free from the endless gnawing inside that tells you things are not as they should be? Is it possible to achieve true harmony with your sense of ethics and those in your innermost circle?

Being satisfied is not the same as being happy. I'm happy but that doesn't mean there aren't things I'm dissatisfied with or want to be different. Those are always there, will always be there, no matter who you are and I'm good with that.

Nicodemus

Mademoiselle

noʎ ɟo ǝʇnɔ ʍoH
MBTI Type
-NTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Anything can make you happy it depends on you.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Being satisfied is not the same as being happy. I'm happy but that doesn't mean there aren't things I'm dissatisfied with or want to be different. Those are always there, will always be there, no matter who you are and I'm good with that.

Even when there has been times that there is nothing to complain about, I have this emptiness that never goes away and I am prone to melancholy. I am going for a brisk walk, now…