• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Apathy: how do you overcome it?

INA

now! in shell form
MBTI Type
intp
Give me your poor, your brilliant, your witty suggestions, yearning to help . . . me.
Christ.
Ok. Let's hear them people. When you are in a prolonged state of "just don't care", what do you do to stimulate enthusiasm for the things you at some point thought mattered?

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Don't know, don't care.

I need help too :(

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
Focus on something else.

If I'm apathetic about work, I do enough to get by while directing all of my energy into a new interest or friendship. This reduces my overall apathy, thus improving my motivation toward work eventually.

INA

now! in shell form
MBTI Type
intp
I can't relate.

What's it like?

I am bored with everything and not motivated to pursue any of my prior interests. I briefly get jazzed up and start doing them again but lose steam really quickly.
I cannot focus sometimes because I get jazzed about a million things that i want to do all NOW. I waste time in idle pursuits with low but immediate rewards.
I cannot be arsed to do anything of value to me, because it won't be to my liking given my low energy levels, I know. I would rather sleep.
I cannot be bothered talking to people for any length of time. I want them to wrap it up and *leave* because 1) I don't care and 2) I don't want to be made to care.

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
I am bored with everything and not motivated to pursue any of my prior interests. I briefly get jazzed up and start doing them again but lose steam really quickly and cannot focus sometimes because I get jazzed about a million things that i want to do all NOW. I waste time in idle pursuits with low but immediate rewards.
I can't be arsed to do anything of value to me. I would rather sleep.
I cannot be bothered talking to people for any length of time. I want them to wrap it up and *leave* because 1) I don't care and 2) I don't want to be made to care.

Are you working or schooling?

Productivity breeds productivity..

Wyst

lurking....
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Be objective about it. Write in a journal or something about how you're feeling about it. Come back a few days later and read what you were thinking at the time. Do it every couple of days and notice any changes/patterns in what you're thinking/feeling.

JAVO's got some good advice.

When I get apathetic, it's usually because I've gotten in a slump or plateaued out. Sometimes when I throw something different into the usual mix, do something out of the ordinary instead of the same old drill that it'll help 'reboot' me.

Sometimes there's nothing I can do to fix it.
The heart wants what the heart wants. Sometimes you just have to let things run their course.

INA

now! in shell form
MBTI Type
intp
Be objective about it. Write in a journal or something about how you're feeling about it. Come back a few days later and read what you were thinking at the time. Do it every couple of days and notice any changes/patterns in what you're thinking/feeling.
I do keep a journal, and it suffers from the same neglect. In one night, I will write pages upon pages and then . . . nothing. For a long time. I cannot make myself do it.

When I get apathetic, it's usually because I've gotten in a slump or plateaued out. Sometimes when I throw something different into the usual mix, do something out of the ordinary instead of the same old drill that it'll help 'reboot' me.
How do you sustain the momentum of the reboot?

Sometimes there's nothing I can do to fix it.
The heart wants what the heart wants. Sometimes you just have to let things run their course.
Ooh la la that is depressing.

Rachelinpa

MBTI Type
ENFP
From Office Space:

Peter Gibbons: The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care.

Unhelpful, but funny!

Actually, in this fabulous movie, he just starts doing what he wants to do and makes him come alive. It's not that he doesn't care about anything, it's that he does not care about what he is expected by society to do.

Take note.

Wyst

lurking....
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I do keep a journal, and it suffers from the same neglect. In one night, I will write pages upon pages and then . . . nothing. For a long time. I cannot make myself do it.

I'm the same way. Sometimes there will be a gaps of several months to a year in my handwritten journal. But I'm usually writing something somewhere (emails to family/friends, on my blog here, or my personal blog). Whatever I'm dealing with at the time will come out there and I can go back and review it if I need to.

How do you sustain the momentum of the reboot?

Like I said, sometimes things just have to run their course. But meditating on things in a place where I'm not distracted helps me sort myself out. Sometimes staring at the ugliness of my apathy will give me the kick in the ass I need to start caring again.

Ooh la la that is depressing.

"And I think to myself.... what a wonderful world."

INA

now! in shell form
MBTI Type
intp
From Office Space:

Peter Gibbons: The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care.

Unhelpful, but funny!.

OMG. I loved that line when I saw the Office. I thought it summed up 90% of my life.
Except I am kinda lazy.

From Office Space:
Actually, in this fabulous movie, he just starts doing what he wants to do and makes him come alive. It's not that he doesn't care about anything, it's that he does not care about what he is expected by society to do.

Take note.
I tried doing what I liked, but the exigencies of survival demand my attention. ;) and wear me out. Then i don't care about the work I *have* to do or the things that once got me excited.

INA

now! in shell form
MBTI Type
intp
Like I said, sometimes things just have to run their course. But meditating on things in a place where I'm not distracted helps me sort myself out. Sometimes staring at the ugliness of my apathy will give me the kick in the ass I need to start caring again.
My GP recommended meditation to me for other matters. She is not a psych and the suggestion was kinda out of the blue. I find it hard to avoid distractions, be completely quiet or relax. My head's always darting around stupid corners and alleys.
What kind of meditation do you do?

"And I think to myself.... what a wonderful an overwhelming world."
Fixed. :)

Wyst

lurking....
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I find it hard to avoid distractions, be completely quiet or relax. My head's always darting around stupid corners and alleys.

I find it hard to avoid distractions too. They happen. No way around it. I go off to a place where I can minimize the external distractions. Those are the distractions (people watching, cellphone, email and internet) that will get me off meditating.

The distractions that happen inside my mind? I don't try to constrain them. When I realize I've been on a 5-minute rabbit trail I just move it back to what I was originally thinking about.

Treating meditation/reflection with an attitude like, "Gotta think about X, gotta think about X and nothing else, gotta think about X and nothing else..." is very counterproductive for me. I try to be tolerant with myself in that regard.

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I get pissed off after a while and go for a walk. Suddenly I see something beautiful or pretty that makes me care again, sometimes it's girls...

INA

now! in shell form
MBTI Type
intp
I get pissed off after a while and go for a walk. Suddenly I see something beautiful or pretty that makes me care again, sometimes it's girls...

other times: catnip.
A long walk somewhere quiet helps, particularly if it is somewhere unfamiliar. I find travel reinvigorating for a similar reason, but it is not practical for me to always be on the road.

MBTI Type
INxJ
Regular exercise will help stabilize your mood on a chemical level.

LostInNerSpace

MBTI Type
INTP
Give me your poor, your brilliant, your witty suggestions, yearning to help . . . me.
Christ.
Ok. Let's hear them people. When you are in a prolonged state of "just don't care", what do you do to stimulate enthusiasm for the things you at some point thought mattered?

This is called depression. You need to get out of the state first, then you need to absolutely refuse to allow yourself to get depressed. Go to your doc and get some antidepressants.

Then get this book:

Amazon.com: Feeling Good: The New Mood Therapy Revised and Updated: David D. Burns: Books

My GP recommended meditation to me for other matters. She is not a psych and the suggestion was kinda out of the blue. I find it hard to avoid distractions, be completely quiet or relax. My head's always darting around stupid corners and alleys.

Amazon.com: 8 Minute Meditation: Quiet Your Mind. Change Your Life.: Victor Davich: Books

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
other times: catnip.
A long walk somewhere quiet helps, particularly if it is somewhere unfamiliar. I find travel reinvigorating for a similar reason, but it is not practical for me to always be on the road.

Ahh, catnip... wherefor must I wait till love uses it again....

Yeah, I can't drive yet, but I do try to find those nice places. That reminds me, I need to get my pictures off my phone and show everyone what I found while I was in Toronto...

Regular exercise will help stabilize your mood on a chemical level.

Endorphins, dopamine, good stuff that the appropreate amount of activity produces. I like adding a little oxitocin to the mix, but I haven't had that opportunity in a while... *sigh*

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
When I ask this question, all I'm told is to see the shrink.