• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

FOMO - the Fear Of Missing Out

cm81

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The nifty back scratch tool for the epicure:

"3. Is this something that is viable for me right now?

Sometimes the source of our FOMO is indeed something we wish we were doing, but, it's not the right time or the best time for us to be doing that thing.

Something that we've mentioned before on the site, and that I think is incredibly important, is embracing the idea of different seasons in your life [...] Even if you love skiing, there's no sense in pining for it in the middle of July, and you're better off concentrating on what you can only do during the season you're currently in (swimming! wake boarding!)" Truth. So do what you need to do it.

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
existential checkpoints, in a way. Or at least, I think that's what this article is encouraging. I like the semi-Zen approach of "observing" feelings - noting the FOMO feeling

I like your song lyrics from before... they tie right into the whole e7 thing, as far as it manifests for me - do you feel that, too? I know that I use diving into little projects and making future plans as a way to distract myself from the pain and/or tedium of daily life. Sometimes that's helpful and therapeutic, but other times I think it's me running away from making big choices about things I could be doing to change my reality, and focusing on temporary relief instead. It's great to help plan the family vacation to whatever beach and to absolutely soak in every moment of it while there, but then when it's over, I'm left hollow and facing the starkness of whatever frustrating circumstances I was so eager to rush away from. I'm slowly, slowly trying to adjust my life such that I look forward to returning to reality. It's been somewhat successful thus far.

I like that, existential checkpoints. I'm learning how to not laugh at using the word/phrase/acronym? FOMO.

Well 2 lyric sets. First, Buddy Guy (Praise be to Him), where he actually IS more zen. Or at least that's how I read it, "damn rats in your race, all on a hamster wheel."

Everyone was passing me so fast, I,
Thought I was standin' still.

Everybody's in a hurry,
And there ain't nobody goin' nowhere

But I'd say the second set, Pink Floyd, the more explicitly darker human escapes from being unfulfilled (and I might add he covers just about the majority, impressive), having "little projects" is probably better than "getting into fights" (though I certainly turned to that in my past, albeit in a focused, trained way. still insane to some, I suppose) and probably better than "dropping bombs" or "keeping people as pets" (i loved that one).

If you've covered the bases of you and yours, I don't see anything wrong with a little escapism. Projects often do the opposite, plant you right in the moment. If your head is in a wonderland in the future, could get unhealthy if not realistic.

Big choices for a better life, huh. Do you even know what those would be? Hard to make them if you don't hear even a faint calling. Maybe you do. They're certainly not worth ignoring, if they ring true to your heart and path.

And life isn't a vacation, and you will have to come back to reality. It will always be an ebb and a flow. But perhaps, if you know where to put your energy, it can be a reality that's closer to a vacation : ) or at least, I'd like to think so. Where to put that dang energy though? That's the rub.

Farkin' FOMO.

Chthonic

Actually i rarely experience this fear, but I have the opposite problem, a fear of actually doing something where it feels soothing and comfortable to give up the opportunity than to take it on. Which is exactly what I do the vast majority of the time.

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Actually i rarely experience this fear, but I have the opposite problem, a fear of actually doing something where it feels soothing and comfortable to give up the opportunity than to take it on. Which is exactly what I do the vast majority of the time.

One person's FOMO is another's, um, what's the acronym for:

Without going out of my door,
I can know all things on earth
without looking out of my window,
I can know the ways of heaven.

The farther one travels
the less one knows
the less one really knows.

?

Actually please don't answer that IT-J

Rambling

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I feel exhausted just reading the updates of my friends on Facebook...what they can pack into a day's holiday in terms of people, places and things to do! :sleeping:

grey_beard

The Typing Tabby
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
One person's FOMO is another's, um, what's the acronym for:

Without going out of my door,
I can know all things on earth
without looking out of my window,
I can know the ways of heaven.

The farther one travels
the less one knows
the less one really knows.

?

Actually please don't answer that IT-J

OK, I'll answer "Basil Grant":

“You!” said Rupert, with some surprise, “you scarcely ever leave your hole to look at anything on the face of the earth.”
Basil fitted on a formidable old white hat.
“I scarcely ever,” he said, with an unconscious and colossal arrogance, “hear of anything on the face of the earth that I do not understand at once, without going to see it.”
And he led the way out into the purple night.

:coffee:

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I miss out on plenty, usually things that I have no interest in, or good reason to suspect would be highly unpleasant.