• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Emotional Intelligence Is Overrated

Bush

cute lil war dog
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
See also " Personality Tests in Employment Selection: Use With Caution — Cornell HR Review ", which [MENTION=8936]highlander[/MENTION] referenced in this post. For some reason, the article focuses also on EQ but doesn't make that clear in the title.

Personality & Emotional Intelligence

The link between personality and emotional intelligence to job performance is compelling.[4] Though there is strong evidence that cognitive measurement tools are good predictors of job success, one important reason that they are not perfect predictors is that human personality is an important factor in job success.[5] But not all are convinced that assessing workers’ cognitive abilities is worthwhile.
[...]
As the name implies, emotional intelligence (“EQ”) is not a personality trait but a type of intelligence. Beginning in the 20th century, society has viewed intelligence almost exclusively through the lens of intelligence quotient (“IQ”) tests.[30] IQ tests have the advantage of being very reliable, but they are limited in that they measure abstract reasoning and verbal fluency.[31] In 1990 Peter Salovey and John Mayer proposed an additional intelligence: emotional intelligence.[32] Emotional intelligence is comprised of four components: First, people need to be able to accurately perceive emotions in themselves and others and have the ability to express their own emotions effectively. Second, people need to be aware of how their emotions shape their thinking, decisions, and coping mechanisms. Third, people need to be able to understand and analyze their emotions, which may often be complex and contradictory. Fourth, people need to be able to regulate their emotions so that they can dampen negative emotions and make effective use of positive emotions.[33]
[...]
When these same employers were asked to identify specific behaviors and qualities that demonstrate EQ, they responded that employees who demonstrate high EQ:

Admit and learn from their mistakes
Can keep their emotions in check and have thoughtful discussions on tough issues
Listen as much, or more than, they talk
Take criticism well
Show grace under pressure[36]

The opinions given by the surveyed employers are also echoed in academic literature on the subject. Research indicates that emotional intelligence has predictive validity “in domains such as academic performance, job performance, negotiation, leadership, emotional labor, trust, work-family conflict, and stress.”[37] While some contend that emotional intelligence and personality are the same, other studies reveal that emotional intelligence is measuring something apart from personality.[38] Specifically, when measuring emotional intelligence as a separate construct, it can be measured separately from intelligence and personality.”[39] In one 1995 study, it was claimed that emotional intelligence was the most significant job performance predictor.[40] However, as in many areas of research, the keynote finding of one study does not even make the footnote of a similar study. Such was the case in 2011 when a study, relying on much more data than the 1995 sample, could not support the earlier claim that EQ predicts job performance.[41] Although the exact role EQ plays in the workplace is still up for debate, it is reasonable to assume from the multitude of studies linking EQ to various performance factors that a valid and reliable emotional intelligence test used in selection process should result in useful data.
So this article claims that EQ is important in the business setting. Well, sort of. In any case, it also provides studies to back up its claims.

But are these articles actually talking about the same thing? This particular article presents EQ as less interpersonal and more 'intrapersonal'--more about understanding one's own motivations than about lovey-dovey teamwork.

I also haven't delved into the studies that this article cites, but they may be measuring something else entirely; and they may be measuring that through different means.

The problem with the whole shebang is that psychometry isn't yet mature enough for its results to be so generalizable. And both articles recognize that. Hell, it's even in the title of this article.

Mademoiselle

noʎ ɟo ǝʇnɔ ʍoH
MBTI Type
-NTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Umm.. this is incorrect.
People with more emotions than thoughts should be sensible, not just sensitive.
I don’t accept this mistake because of my respect to emotional genius people.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
No in the grand scheme of humanity, at this juncture EQ is underrated and IQ is overrated. Seriously if I converse online with one more self typed INT with extremely low EQ who thinks their IQ is beneficial to mankind I'll puke. Let's have more Einstein, a man with a high IQ who had ethics and knew how to love.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
EQ is just as important as IQ but the value of each depends a lot on the context. If you were a contestant on Survivor, your EQ would probably be more important since the game hinges on recognizing social dynamics. If you were a civil engineer designing a bridge, your IQ would be more important. It's the Counselor Troi vs Data question. Both are valued members in different situations.

Yep.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I still scan the Yahoo News feed , and I've been s everely disappointed at the quality of what kinds of articles show up there. What articles are shown I think is dynamic based on the reader's past reading history,but basically the headlines have become more sensationalist and actually misleading at times, and the articles themselves are not really news -- a lot are basically opinion pieces masquerading as news. Journalism itself has been going more in that direcion, as we build followings around individuals and I think it makes more money / attracts more readers.

Anyway, the "balanced detached" view where you just report data seems to be disappearing / has disappeared.

I do agree with this, but it's so much improved compared to the 19th century and even early 20th century in journalism which was very yellow. The mid to late 20th century took the prize in srs cat, but people with real EQ DON'T go into journalism anymore and they don't watch TV or read Yahoo news, rather LOWER EQ has become normative.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
So... if your EQ is higher, you'll be worse at gaining at other's expense. Sounds possibly legit.

I know, right? My point exactly. Journalism has become about borderline sociopathic sensationalism. That is not EQ. Nor is harming others to your gain. I avoided Journalism in college because of the nasty UNETHICAL nature of it, many people with high EQ avoid corporate business because of the unethical nature of it...it's really damn sad that people associate narcissistic or sociopathic manipulation with "EQ"...UM NO. Jesus had EQ. Mother Teresa, Ghandi, John Lennon, Jerry Garcia. Not Rush Limbaugh.

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
As has been mentioned, in business or where lives are literally at stake EQ is overrated. Though recognizing emotions in the face would certainly be an advantage in making a sale or schmoozing with a potential client, or hell, blending as an undercover in a narcotics unit.

In the more "Yin" arenas of life, EQ adds more soul and general harmony. Probably good to have it when raising a family, for example.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
As has been mentioned, in business or where lives are literally at stake EQ is overrated. Though recognizing emotions in the face would certainly be an advantage in making a sale or schmoozing with a potential client, or hell, blending as an undercover in a narcotics unit.

In the more "Yin" arenas of life, EQ adds more soul and general harmony. Probably good to have it when raising a family, for example.

Our culture is too focused on Te and literal gain, as well as a sort of blank low level Se, many people say United States is ENTJ, probably because of the high Te and immature Se.

It's a bad way to run a society if there's no balance. It's not escaped me that many people who are the source of mockery in our society are SFP, especially mentally ill SFPs. And I stagger at the audacity of people thinking they're good and normal while they mourn Robin Williams but make fun of Amanda Bynes.

Yeah, EQ can be a real detriment to the sort of corruption of corporate capitalism we practice in this particular era, no doubt. But to say it's been overrated by mainstream society in the United States is wildly incorrect and almost the opposite.

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Our culture is too focused on Te and literal gain, as well as a sort of blank low level Se, many people say United States is ENTJ, probably because of the high Te and immature Se.

It's a bad way to run a society if there's no balance. It's not escaped me that many people who are the source of mockery in our society are SFP, especially mentally ill SFPs. And I stagger at the audacity of people thinking they're good and normal while they mourn Robin Williams but make fun of Amanda Bynes.

Yeah, EQ can be a real detriment to the sort of corruption of corporate capitalism we practice in this particular era, no doubt. But to say it's been overrated by mainstream society in the United States is wildly incorrect and almost the opposite.

No countries perfect. And we have lots of liberties here.

What's this about people feeling good and normal and Robin Williams and Amanda Bynes? I know those people, but not sure what you're getting at.

EQ hasn't been overrated by mainstream society, most people don't know what the hell EQ even is.

Mademoiselle

noʎ ɟo ǝʇnɔ ʍoH
MBTI Type
-NTJ
Enneagram
5w4
No in the grand scheme of humanity, at this juncture EQ is underrated and IQ is overrated. Seriously if I converse online with one more self typed INT with extremely low EQ who thinks their IQ is beneficial to mankind I'll puke. Let's have more Einstein, a man with a high IQ who had ethics and knew how to love.

True, we need to know that EQ = IQ
In value they’re both equal, it’s just that they’re on the other side of the equation*.
Just like two different sides of the same coin.
____
Excuse me if this word in inaccurate, I mean the Kurdish word “هاوکێشە”, means the Arabic word “معادلة”.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What's this about people feeling good and normal and Robin Williams and Amanda Bynes? I know those people, but not sure what you're getting at.

Probably that they were both suffering some forms of mental illness, but pretty much everyone loves Williams regardless and there's a massive cultural campaign to virtually give the guy the equivalent of sainthood, while preserving as much of his privacy (and family's) as possible, while Amanda is pretty much the butt of everyone's jokes and has her private junk splashed all over every weekly gossip rag out there as some kind of legitimate news?

Both were considered talented (Amanda had her own show when younger), although Williams had had a much longer career that cut across demographics; but based on the recent revelations, it sounds like they both ended up in a sad state due to suffering some kind of psychosis, so why is one is sympathized with while the other is mostly victimized and paraded about as a spectacle?

Hence, the nation's EQ is kinda screwed up and we're not as good and healthy as we think.

Jaguar

What's this about people feeling good and normal and Robin Williams and Amanda Bynes?

I look at it this way: if Amanda Bynes's parents end up with an axe through their skull, I'll know who did it. ;)

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Probably that they were both suffering some forms of mental illness, but pretty much everyone loves Williams regardless and there's a massive cultural campaign to virtually give the guy the equivalent of sainthood, while preserving as much of his privacy (and family's) as possible, while Amanda is pretty much the butt of everyone's jokes and has her private junk splashed all over every weekly gossip rag out there as some kind of legitimate news?

Both were considered talented (Amanda had her own show when younger), although Williams had had a much longer career that cut across demographics; but based on the recent revelations, it sounds like they both ended up in a sad state due to suffering some kind of psychosis, so why is one is sympathized with while the other is mostly victimized and paraded about as a spectacle?

Hence, the nation's EQ is kinda screwed up and we're not as good and healthy as we think.

I kind of figured, but excellent summary.

But Amanda Bynes is terrible and Robin Williams was wonderful.

The Son of Sam killed 6 people because his demonic dog told him too. Should we feel the same sympathy for him as Robin Williams. Nah.

rav3n

Robin Williams likely had ADHD which he attempted to ameliorate through drugs and alcohol. He wasn't delusional or destructive.

Amanda Bynes appears to be delusional and destructive, hence the greater social aversion.

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Robin Williams likely had ADHD which he attempted to ameliorate through drugs and alcohol. He wasn't delusional or destructive.

Amanda Bynes appears to be delusional and destructive, hence the greater social aversion.

ADHD??

Haha, maybe maybe not, but I have a wild guess it might be deeper than that. Are drugs and alcohol not destructive?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I kind of figured, but excellent summary.

But Amanda Bynes is terrible and Robin Williams was wonderful.

The Son of Sam killed 6 people because his demonic dog told him too. Should we feel the same sympathy for him as Robin Williams. Nah.

Well, a few things:

- It's not clear whether Berkowitz was even mentally ill or simply fabricating a cover story to avoid taking responsibility for his crimes. (It's been a long time since I read John Douglas on the matter, but I recall he thought Berkowitz was full of shit on the "demon dog" claims and that he even called him out on it in an interview. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.)

- Bynes didn't kill anyone, although she's apparently now made threats against people in her family.

It does raise the question (again and again) how we're supposed to feel about mental illness that can lead to other-harm. Mental illness is mental illness, but we definitely have different responses to people who self-harm vs. other-harm.

You need to read up on the last few weeks, it looks like he was diagnosed with Lewy Body dementia related to his Parkinson's.

Robin Williams
Robin Williams hallucinated before suicide: report - NY Daily News

The Lewy body condition often emerges with people who already have Parkinsonism — any disorder that causes symptoms of Parkinson's disease such as trembling or movement issues. Symptoms of Lewy body include delusions of objects, people or animals, and the patient will often try to engage in conversations with them. The New York Daily News recently spoke to a neurologist in depth about Lewy body disease.

...Lewy body was a “key factor” that led him to commit suicide, the report stated, adding that doctors agree it was a “critical factor” in the cause of his death.

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well, a few things:

- It's not clear whether Berkowitz was even mentally ill or simply fabricating a cover story to avoid taking responsibility for his crimes. (It's been a long time since I read John Douglas on the matter, but I recall he thought Berkowitz was full of shit on the "demon dog" claims and that he even called him out on it in an interview. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.)

- Bynes didn't kill anyone, although she's apparently now made threats against people in her family.

It does raise the question (again and again) how we're supposed to feel about mental illness that can lead to other-harm. Mental illness is mental illness, but we definitely have different responses to people who self-harm vs. other-harm.

Ha, well I guess my point was Berkowitz probably was a tad "off." And mental illness doesn't excuse someone's actions, IMO. It can be tragic though.

Also, doesn't matter that Bynes hasn't killed her parents (yet), she's behaving repugnantly. Am I supposed to feel sympathy for this total stranger I've never met and whose life hasn't affected me in the least?

Lindsay Lohan is another example. She hasn't lashed out at anyone so blatantly (as far as I know), but she's another tragic story that I at least have some sympathy for her. I happen to love Mean Girls. Budding starlet gets on early path to self-destruction.

Within people's personal spheres of relationships/family, mental illness, if it's there, should be taken dead seriously. Psychology/psychiatry is still an evolving science and a very elusive/hazy and often unpredictable one. But it's very real.

And has been since humans started civilization.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ha, well I guess my point was Berkowitz probably was a tad "off." And mental illness doesn't excuse someone's actions, IMO. It can be tragic though.

Also, doesn't matter that Bynes hasn't killed her parents (yet), she's behaving repugnantly. Am I supposed to feel sympathy for this total stranger I've never met and whose life hasn't affected me in the least?

Lindsay Lohan is another example. She hasn't lashed out at anyone so blatantly (as far as I know), but she's another tragic story that I at least have some sympathy for her. I happen to love Mean Girls. Budding starlet gets on early path to self-destruction.

Is Lohan officially mentally ill? Tragic story, sure, but we're talking about mental illness in this situation... although getting back to topic (EQ), how would our EQ as a culture (for instance) contribute to how we view expressions of mental illness? Isn't there some importance in treating people in a consistent fashion, rather than vilifying one mentally ill person but venerating another? Or is there some other reason for the inequities? EQ might be more important in that it could reflect some things back to us as a culture, for the purposes of positive change.

rav3n

You need to read up on the last few weeks, it looks like he was diagnosed with Lewy Body dementia related to his Parkinson's.

Robin Williams
Robin Williams hallucinated before suicide: report - NY Daily News
You're right, I didn't know about this but I will add that this was only the last couple of weeks, rather than anything extended. Did he go on public rampages like Amanda Bynes?

With both issues, mental health care intervention continues to fail. And yet, if intervention were made easier, there would be more abusive usage of it based on historical precedence. So...damned either way until mind reading becomes a reality.