• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

actions caused by dreams any one else have experience?

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
no it's not sleep paralysis because I can move just fine. you know when you wake up from a dream* and are convinced it's true. You're awake so you're no longer dreaming what's this call? because maybe once 3-5 months something like this happens

i briefly thought my computer was a bomb so i panicked, and moved, and unplugged it. then I got so far across the room and realize it was connected to a program that I'd be fine til the next time i used it so i went back to sleep. woke up and realize it was one of the groggy states i was in and that it was not a bomb at all.

and it wouldn't be a thing if I didn't carry out actions, but the fact that I act on the belief makes me wonder if it's normal and who else experenices this

*honestly I don't know if I'm waking up or falling asleep, it's just easy to describe this as though I had been dreaming.

Raffaella

bon vivant
:thinking: possibly. not sure. but it's the best answer so far.

It's quite an experience. You think you're completely awake and you start your day but something drastic and unusual occurs that alerts you to the fact that it's a "dream". The opposite is hypnogogic where you think you're falling asleep but your mind confuses you into believing you're getting ready for sleep.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
It's quite an experience. You think you're completely awake and you start your day but something drastic and unusual occurs that alerts you to the fact that it's a "dream". The opposite is hypnogogic where you think you're falling asleep but your mind confuses you into believing you're getting ready for sleep.

I'm not asleep. I am in fact awake. tbt I'm not even sure if I was asleep before that or just falling asleep. I'm hoping I had already been asleep and just woke up briefly

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
[MENTION=20828]Deceptive[/MENTION] I re-read the article and you're probably right. But I was fully conscious like i was aware of what I was doing and wasn't confused I just thought my computer was a bomb and I didn't want to die. but it was extremely close to sleep so it probably was hypnopompic. you saying i was dreaming was what threw me off cuz I was no longer in a dream at that point. anyone would've tried to get rid of it if they thought something was a bomb. and the reason i stopped with moving it *I got to the door* was I thought that it would go off once I used a certain program and ate that pointed I wanted to sleep and so instead of dealing with it then I decided to sleep and deal with it in the morning. then when I woke up I realized my mistake.

gromit

likes this
Ah I think that has happened to me.

I wake up a lot and think that a hanging coat is actually a person.

Another time I thought there was something in my blankets one time, dug around in there until I woke myself up fully/didn't find anything.

A lot of the times I wake up and am disoriented by the position of the windows in the room, like my bed has been rotated 90 degrees and I can't figure it out...

It is always in the middle of the night for me.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I've definitely woken up and been disoriented for a few minutes but I don't think I've ever acted on it- it usually goes away before I can get far. I think it's pretty common but it affects some people moreso than others.

I didn't realize until [MENTION=20828]Deceptive[/MENTION] mentioned it that the states leading into and out of sleep are not the same thing- I've been calling them all hypnogogic states, but that's apparently just leading into sleep. Leading out of sleep is a hypnopompic state. I've had a couple of really scary hypnopompic experiences. Each time I thought I was 100% awake while it was happening but then I came out of it and realized I had been in the twilight zone.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Ah I think that has happened to me.

I wake up a lot and think that a hanging coat is actually a person.

Another time I thought there was something in my blankets one time, dug around in there until I woke myself up fully/didn't find anything.

A lot of the times I wake up and am disoriented by the position of the windows in the room, like my bed has been rotated 90 degrees and I can't figure it out...

It is always in the middle of the night for me.
yes the whole, I thought i fell asleep somewhere else fuck, I have to get home, oh I'm gonna be in so much trouble how am I gonna explain this? I don't have a car. shit! oh wait I am home. phenomem.

Raffaella

bon vivant
I've definitely woken up and been disoriented for a few minutes but I don't think I've ever acted on it- it usually goes away before I can get far. I think it's pretty common but it affects some people moreso than others.

I didn't realize until [MENTION=20828]Deceptive[/MENTION] mentioned it that the states leading into and out of sleep are not the same thing- I've been calling them all hypnogogic states, but that's apparently just leading into sleep. Leading out of sleep is a hypnopompic state. I've had a couple of really scary hypnopompic experiences. Each time I thought I was 100% awake while it was happening but then I came out of it and realized I had been in the twilight zone.

What happened in those hallucinations, if you don't mind my asking?

I had a hypnopompic hallucination in which I was lead to believe it was the day of my exam. When I woke up, I panicked, thinking I had slept through my exam but then realised it was just the day before. I can still feel the relief I felt that day.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
What happened in those hallucinations, if you don't mind my asking?

I had a hypnopompic hallucination in which I was lead to believe it was the day of my exam. When I woke up, I panicked, thinking I had slept through my exam but then realised it was just the day before. I can still feel the relief I felt that day.

Both times I was taking a nap on a sofa. The first time, I think I was 16 or so. I was alone at home, woke up from a nap at about dusk and felt a presence in the room. It was a child, playing on the carpet in front of me, but I couldn't see it. I could hear its footfalls and laughter, though. I pretended to still be asleep and didn't move. Then the presence came up to the sofa and started pushing on it, and the sofa started to collapse in on itself and swallow me. I was terrified but I couldn't scream or move. When the sofa had almost enclosed me entirely I snapped out of the hallucination (and I guess really woke up fully).

The second time was maybe a year or two later, and it was very similar, also napping alone in the house at about dusk, but in another house on another sofa, and instead of making the sofa collapse, the presence made it float up towards the ceiling, and I snapped out of it right before I was smushed between the sofa and the ceiling.

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Dreams are some mysterious thangs.

They've led to actions, but not immediate. Like some stress or confusing situation was going on, but all the dots connected in the dream, I woke up remembered it like, "Oh shit, THAT'S the reality of things."

Can't think of any examples off the bat but I had an ex-gf cheat on her boyfriend with me, and a week later he kept waking up at like 4am convinced something was "off" and told her he had a vivid dream that she cheated on him with me. Which was true.

I'd say weird, but connecting the dots in dreams happens to me frequently. And DOES lead to action, often.

But this probably isn't what you're talking about.

Raffaella

bon vivant
Both times I was taking a nap on a sofa. The first time, I think I was 16 or so. I was alone at home, woke up from a nap at about dusk and felt a presence in the room. It was a child, playing on the carpet in front of me, but I couldn't see it. I could hear its footfalls and laughter, though. I pretended to still be asleep and didn't move. Then the presence came up to the sofa and started pushing on it, and the sofa started to collapse in on itself and swallow me. I was terrified but I couldn't scream or move. When the sofa had almost enclosed me entirely I snapped out of the hallucination (and I guess really woke up fully).

The second time was maybe a year or two later, and it was very similar, also napping alone in the house at about dusk, but in another house on another sofa, and instead of making the sofa collapse, the presence made it float up towards the ceiling, and I snapped out of it right before I was smushed between the sofa and the ceiling.

Freaky, really freaky. It reminds me of one I had when I was 11 years and the suffocating sensation you get. I prefer hypnogogic hallucinations because you sort of sense your delirium.

Dreams are some mysterious thangs.

Can't think of any examples off the bat but I had an ex-gf cheat on her boyfriend with me, and a week later he kept waking up at like 4am convinced something was "off" and told her he had a vivid dream that she cheated on him with me. Which was true.

That's actually quite amazing (not for him, obviously). His subconcious deuced her infidelity and fed it to him in a dream; just shows that there really is a layer of consciousness we're privy to. Imagine how empowered we'd be if we could access it? Goodbye typology systems.

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Freaky, really freaky. It reminds me of one I had when I was 11 years and the suffocating sensation you get. I prefer hypnogogic hallucinations because you sort of sense your delirium.

That's actually quite amazing (not for him, obviously). His subconcious deuced her infidelity and fed it to him in a dream; just shows that there really is a layer of consciousness we're privy to. Imagine how empowered we'd be if we could access it? Goodbye typology systems.

He's not convinced though, and she gives me updates (happened very recently). She denied it and seems she's smoothed it over, but we'll see what he does with these "something's wrong" feelings. Dreams aren't exactly admissible in court.

But yeah, he must be some kind of intuitive as I get those feelings in the waking hours.

Read this today, but not the first time:

"ENTPs quickly understand a concept or situation without knowing why"

It took me awhile to trust this instinct, because the feeling comes WELL before the facts, but I've learned I'm rarely wrong about such things.

And if you know how to interpret dreams (it's not hard, it has nothing to do with what's going on in the dream, just how a the stuff in it makes you feel) and take them seriously, it's a whole other level of perception, epiphanies, and vision.

Now where the hell is my pen so I can write this fresh-on-my-mind dream down? Oh well, I'm sure I'll remember later. haha.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
What if you don't remember the dream or if you were even dreaming that led to the action? I have no proof that I was actually asleep before it happened. most of you have a vivid dream connect it to, I don't. so does that mean I was asleep? most of the time there is a dream but most recent one their wasn't.

Swivelinglight

Permabanned
There was one time where I woke up in an alert state. Right after waking up I heard a deep, low shout. I cannot remember if I could move or not. I imagine if I couldn't move, then it'd be sleep paralysis. I've definitely had some sleep paralysis experiences - those suck.

Comeback Girl

Ratchet Ass Moon Fairy
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
That happens to me all the time. A few days ago I had this dream where I made a prediction that someone I knew was going to die and that this prediction came true. When I woke up, I actually believed for half a minute that this person was actually dead. But sometimes it does take a little less long to realize it was all a dream. Yesterday I had this dream where I was kidnapped by The Situation (who was dressed up as Braveheart for some reason) and that when I was released, clothes were out of style and everyone walked around in Speedos with condoms pasted to their nipples. I think I realized almost right away that this was fake. But then again, I always stay in bed for at least ten minutes after I wake up, so I get no time to do crazy shit.

Raffaella

bon vivant
But yeah, he must be some kind of intuitive as I get those feelings in the waking hours.

Read this today, but not the first time:

"ENTPs quickly understand a concept or situation without knowing why"

It took me awhile to trust this instinct, because the feeling comes WELL before the facts, but I've learned I'm rarely wrong about such things.

And if you know how to interpret dreams (it's not hard, it has nothing to do with what's going on in the dream, just how a the stuff in it makes you feel) and take them seriously, it's a whole other level of perception, epiphanies, and vision.

:thinking:

Hahaha, I'm pretty sure sensors get them, too but maybe we put more weight on it... if he's not acting on those intuitions, doesn't that mean he's a sensor? You need to monitor his Si and Se levels.

But, yeah, I agree, it is very easy to interpret dreams. However, I think the only person who can decipher it is the person that experiences it.

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
:thinking:

Hahaha, I'm pretty sure sensors get them, too but maybe we put more weight on it... if he's not acting on those intuitions, doesn't that mean he's a sensor? You need to monitor his Si and Se levels.

But, yeah, I agree, it is very easy to interpret dreams. However, I think the only person who can decipher it is the person that experiences it.

haha, I have no idea what he is, never met him, no desire to, so I definitely won't be monitoring is Si Se levels, haha.

And I suppose I meant he's intuitive in a general non-MBTI related way.

ygolo

My termites win
For a short time after my dreams, if I am woken up by an alarm or something external, it will take me time to fully switch into wakeful reality.