• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Are Ps Perfectionist?

The Outsider

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
I am quite a perfectionist. It is not fun.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
741f7e138e2b8607ddc4adcfbcf4afbb_m.jpg

BlueGray

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I've struggled with perfectionism. I have to consciously tell myself to just trust my first attempt at least for some time. It's gotten to the point now that most people that didn't know me 6-7 years ago might not realize I'm doing this.

After writing this down it seems like Ti being roped in by N...

Space_Oddity

MBTI Type
CAT
Instinctual Variant
so
Whether it's an ENTP, INFP, INTP, ISFP, (dunno about ENFPs), etc...
The way they spread on cream cheese on begals.
Their artwork or projects.
Or correcting me on a simple grammar mistake.
Everything has to be perfect.

I'm guilty of all these things :blush: (including the spreading cream cheese on bread, lol :D)

I don't know if it's all Ps, and for one thing I'm definitely not tidy (my perfectionism really doesn't reach this area :D), but I am a perfectionist, yeah. I'm so much of a perfectionist that I rarely get anything done, because I always see too many flaws and imperfections. That's why I genuinely like deadlines... I'm forced to hand in some work of mine even if I still think it's imperfect, and surprisingly, the teachers usually don't think so.:glasses: If there were deadlines for novels or so, I would perhaps reach my dream job of being a novelist...:blush:

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Ps are perfectionists when it comes to their internal logic systems and the way value judgments are made.

Js are more the perfectionists when it comes to external methodology and "getting things right" objectively.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
INFPs and ENFPs can be perfectionists because of their idealism.
I notice INTPs can be very perfectionist at times, and I imagine ENTPs can also. INTPs will have a certain idea and it must be expressed just so. In other areas they deem trivial, they aren't as particular (and same could be said of NFPs).

SPs generally seem more laid back, especially the Es, but I notice ISxPs can get stuck perfecting details. Something about being a dominant judger (IP) makes it more pronounced than with the extroverts. Even so, I notice they seem more satisfied with their end result than NPs. Something about Ne can make you get stuck in endless revision, because you're so future-focused and always seeing what can be improved.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Fi = ethical perfectionism
Ti = logical perfectionism
Fe = social perfectionism
Te = empirical perfectionism

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I have a few things that I'm a total perfectionist about (stats, making pizzas, academic papers...) but in general I'm not perfectionistic about most things- my toenail polish is almost always seriously chipped, I rarely notice if the house is messy and my car should probably be visited by FEMA...

I guess that I pick and choose what to be picky about :)

BlueGray

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Ti and English papers don't mix. So many horrible memories.

Serendipity

the Dark Prophet of Kualu
MBTI Type
RAD
Exactly.
And that's why I am thankful that I'm not as bad as I used to be.
I have learned that there is such a thing as "good enough".
I'm still working on it, but I've made a lot of progress.
For instance, when vacuuming, sometimes I will move all the furniture
and vacuum every nook and cranny,
but other times I allow myself to say, THIS time, I'll just do a general cleaning
in the middle of the floor, because it really needs it.
Even though I don't have time to do it perfectly,
it's still worth doing.

Perfectionism, for me, has permeated every aspect of my thinking,
and it has taken me years to accept "less" of myself.

Because, you're right, perfectionism IS counter-productive.

I have been jealous of people who have no thought or care about perfection.
They just do things, and don't care if it's crooked, or imperfect,
or if they mess up and make mistakes.

But hey! At least they're doing things!
There's got to be a happy medium.
That's what I'm aiming for.

I was like this until I realised that the mediocre or rather, the imperfect is true perfection. To be truly imperfect, one has to reach chaos that is not in order of any kind and yet retain enough order for it to be imperfect on it's own.
Quite troublesome to live by. :doh:

thisGuy

MBTI Type
entp
way to pick up on one of the ironies of the world

the more laid back Ps are about everyday life, the more passionate they are to whatever takes their fancy

ilovereeses

MBTI Type
eNFP
Enneagram
9w8
I'm an extreme perfectionist when it comes to things I'm passionate about, like music and art and video editing. It can never be good enough.