• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Trolls just want to have fun

Bilateral Entry

Internet User
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
I take quite a lot of personal interest in this due to my burning hatred of internet (and irl) trolls and desire to purge the world of them.

I know what you mean. I have a dark side to myself too. When I get really pissed, I can have dark destructive fantasies. But, that is only a small part of me. I don't seriously endeavor to go after people who really piss me off. I know that it does not lead anywhere good. There are always going to be assholes who behave like assholes. You're going to be forever pissed off trying to ostracize ALL OF THEM, because they're like bacteria, they're everywhere and they just multiply.

Don't waste your talent, your intelligence, your emotions, and your precious time on this. Don't feed this part of yourself. It takes time and energy away from all the good things that you're doing.

- - - Updated - - -

Would you call them trolls?

Uh, yeah. If they're intentionally trying to stir up a fuss and piss people off.

á´…eparted

passages
I know what you mean. I have a dark side to myself too. When I get really pissed, I can have dark destructive fantasies. But, that is only a small part of me. I don't seriously endeavor to go after people who really piss me off. I know that it does not lead anywhere good. There are always going to be assholes who behave like assholes. You're going to be forever pissed off trying to ostracize ALL OF THEM, because they're like bacteria, they're everywhere and they just multiply.

Don't waste your talent, your intelligence, your emotions, and your precious time on this. Don't feed this part of yourself. It takes time and energy away from all the good things that you're doing.

I know. Part of this is from my past experiences. I understand that my resources are limited and I do my best to contain and shrug off when I can't do any effective about a problem that I see. The problems arise when I am forced to be in constant proximity to these kinds of people.

Raffaella

bon vivant
Uh, yeah. If they're intentionally trying to stir up a fuss and piss people off.

I think my perception of trolls is very different to yours. I stop considering people trolls when they become very personal and make it there mission to abuse people or repeat the same hate speech over and over again. However if all they're doing is being hostile, inciting anger and being disruptive to a conversation then they are trolls and easy to ignore (therefore essentially harmless regardless of what they say).

á´…eparted

passages
I think my perception of trolls is very different to yours. I stop considering people trolls when they become very personal and make it there mission to abuse people or repeat the same hate speech over and over again. However if all they're doing is being hostile, inciting anger and being disruptive to a conversation then they are trolls and easy to ignore (therefore essentially harmless regardless of what they say).

This is precisely why in studies the definition of a troll needs to be set, and while I personally think the one in the study is very narrow, it's one that everyone can get on board with.

I actually see a troll as someone that creates discord, discomfort and upset around them, regardless if that is what they are trying to do or not. Essentially, intent does't matter; if their actions result in the response and result one would get from a classic troll as defined in the study, then they are indeed a troll. A good example: Ann Coulter. Widely regarded as a troll. There is debate over whether or not she actually means what she says. Does her authenticity change anything? In my opinion, no. Still a troll no matter how it's sliced.

I think that it starts to become a semantics argument, and maybe different types if trolls need to be fleshed out to break up the groups on how they are considered.

Raffaella

bon vivant
I actually see a troll as someone that creates discord, discomfort and upset around them, regardless if that is what they are trying to do or not. Essentially, intent does't matter; if their actions result in the response and result one would get from a classic troll as defined in the study, then they are indeed a troll. A good example: Ann Coulter. Widely regarded as a troll. There is debate over whether or not she actually means what she says. Does her authenticity change anything? In my opinion, no. Still a troll no matter how it's sliced.

Your perception of trolls corresponds with the set definition: a person who submits a deliberately provocative posting... intended to incite an angry response, however it doesn't take intent into account. For me, intent is important since my impression is based of off the original conception of trolls where intent was the difference between a troll and a spiteful person. I wonder whether people subscribe to the set definition or original conception? It'd be a good question to ask.

I think that it starts to become a semantics argument, and maybe different types if trolls need to be fleshed out to break up the groups on how they are considered.

I agree.

Nicodemus

I actually see a troll as someone that creates discord, discomfort and upset around them, regardless if that is what they are trying to do or not. Essentially, intent does't matter; if their actions result in the response and result one would get from a classic troll as defined in the study, then they are indeed a troll.
There exists already a wide variety of words to describe annoying people. You can use all of these to label the people that irritate you in social situations. Trolling, on the other hand, is defined as intentional annoyance. It makes all the difference. To use the word 'troll' to describe people who 'create discord, discomfort and upset around them regardless of whether that is what they are trying to do or not' is to misuse the word.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
troll is someone who purposely wreaks havoc. I find a lot of people misuse the term to describe someone they don't like or simply find annoying, or even don't understand.

Codex

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Based on what you quoted in the topic post, it seems that the study has a narrow definition of troll, in comparison to the broad, cultural definition that is attached to the word. In their usage of the word, I don't find their conclusions surprising. However, I think many would consider many forms of 'trolling' to not be sadistic.

Trolling is a tool. It can be used for many different reasons to many different ends. Yes, Machiavellianism.

We can't have a good story without villains.

This. I've seen a lot of different trolls, some to annoy, some to shed light on things. It is definitely a tool.

Bush

cute lil war dog
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Interesting to see it measured. Gonna have to pull up the full article later today.

Mole

Permabanned
troll is someone who purposely wreaks havoc. I find a lot of people misuse the term to describe someone they don't like or simply find annoying, or even don't understand.

Yes, if we find someone we don't like there is no rule which says we can't say, I don't like you.

I don't like you is not an insult. I can be a brave expression of an honest feeling.

And saying I don't like you is not passive aggressive.

And if I don't like you today, it doesn't mean I won't like you tomorrow.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Yes, if we find someone we don't like there is no rule which says we can't say, I don't like you.

I don't like you is not an insult. I can be a brave expression of an honest feeling.

And saying I don't like you is not passive aggressive.

And if I don't like you today, it doesn't mean I won't like you tomorrow.
some how you've made it passive aggressive

Mole

Permabanned
some how you've made it passive aggressive

Ah, the kind of passive aggression when we are not being passive aggressive.

But let me be very bold, let me be very brave, and say, I like you prplchknz.

Hitoshi-San

MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
???
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Trolls are just being attention whores for the most part or are simply bored out of their minds - but there could actually be some bad intentions behind it. Correct me if I'm wrong, but in my mind, a troll would have a behavioral or mental issue of some sort.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
I like to troll, joke around, pretend to have an opinion I don't and have fun keeping up the act.

My problem is when trolling turns into bullying. If your trolling is actually being hurtful, please refrain...

á´…eparted

passages
I like to troll, joke around, pretend to have an opinion I don't and have fun keeping up the act.

My problem is when trolling turns into bullying. If your trolling is actually being hurtful, please refrain...

I honestly don't understand why people enjoy doing this. It just seems like toying with people for personal enjoyment at the sake of others. I certainly don't take well to it and when I learn someone does this frequently I very often stop speaking to them (this includes IRL). If I can't know if they believe what they are saying or not, why would I even bother listening to them? It's manipulative for purely selfish reasons.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
I honestly don't understand why people enjoy doing this. It just seems like toying with people for personal enjoyment at the sake of others. I certainly don't take well to it and when I learn someone does this frequently I very often stop speaking to them (this includes IRL). If I can't know if they believe what they are saying or not, why would I even bother listening to them? It's manipulative for purely selfish reasons.

Well, anyone who knows me well enough would be able to tell the difference. Though, I can be pretty subtle.

Being a bit trollish can, in my opinion, be good for making friends and flirting. It shows the more playful side of me, my sense of humour.

I'm a bit blind to the negative effects I guess.

I guess though, I don't like it when people fuck with me by lying, but I like to think when I do it it's in good fun :shrug: