• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Study shows psychopathy can be hidden if the individual has high intelligence

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
Than good for ya. The pitfalls of trying to remain honest is that not everyone else will be honest with you. Or worse, dishonest people may take advantage of you.

It was a stupid question from me anyway since no one can ever be truly honest.

grey_beard

The Typing Tabby
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
ground-breaking research shows that there could be increased numbers of psychopaths in senior managerial positions and high levels of business

This is a very interesting study (which has been published in a scientific journal), and validates something I have felt for a long, long time: that it's indeed very possible for individuals to mask certain traits and personality deficits if they understand themselves enough and know what to show and not show.

Here are the important excerpts from the article:

The measures were taken by first assessing IQ of the participants, then assessing psychopathy in the participants via another test. Then, measuring galvanic skin response to images depicting emotional scenes.

Finally, it's added at the potential implications this can have throughout the world:

This is an interesting point to consider. However, one that I think might be too far to extend at this point and time. I mean, they used a 50 person sample size of students for the study. I think they're just using the headline of "CEO hate" which is extremely popular in the post 2008 economy crash world to garner attention (which is pretty dishonest and distasteful IMO). Still, the study seems to be statistically sound, this is the first major study of such a correlation, and it's going to have to be repeated and changed in some manners to validate it further. The title likely also come from the fact that it feels rather confirming to what a lot of people (such as myself) suspect. Everyone seems to know "that one person" who really does not belong in business, politics, etc. for the very reasons that they are unethical, or show signs of psychopathy in this regard.

It's also interesting to consider if other types of personality disorders, mental disorders, or related neurosis that can be hidden or masked (they or may not be dependent upon intelligence). This is actually rather important if this ends up being true, because it will show a very strong need to modify how disorders are screened. Ultimately, I feel the study is most important for the questions that it begs.

Discuss.

Next assignment: apply this to politicians.

(FOOD FIGHT!!!!) <--- not a thread hijack, think of slimy politicians *in general*. Then consider how many politicians began *as lawyers*...:D

'It is terrible to contemplate how few politicians are hanged." -- G.K. Chesterton

Chthonic

This is yesterdays news. At least I thought so and isn't psychopathy a must have for CEO? How else can you suddenly fire people at will and move their jobs to a third world country where someone else will be paid 80% less to do the same thing? Seriously if you have even a shred of empathy you couldn't make those kinds of decisions.

In any case society is mostly about advancing the rule of the psychopath (as described above) while obstensibly playing lip service to notions of equality and recognition,reward and career advancement. Anyone who's spent more than a year inside the hallowed halls of a corporate office soon realises how the game is actually played. You're either good at that game or you get made redundant.

Tough bikkies kids.

baccheion

What are you talking about? Sociopaths, Psychopaths, and those explicitly about making everyone miserable should be identified and removed. It doesn't take much before they become dangerous and destructive. I also don't understand why many see psychopaths as intelligent. Most of them (and their actions) seem stupid to me.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
What are you talking about? Sociopaths, Psychopaths, and those explicitly about making everyone miserable should be identified and removed. It doesn't take much before they become dangerous and destructive. I also don't understand why many see psychopaths as intelligent. Most of them (and their actions) seem stupid to me.

Sociopaths and Psychopaths are two very different things and very different in the way they appear to people. There are extremely charismatic psychopaths who people don't suspect of being anything but a delightful human. Sociopaths, on the other hand, would be easier to recognize, generally speaking. They would quickly appear to not fit anywhere where as a more charismatic psychopath could easily fake it in a career, relationship, friendships, etc and be pretty successful for a long period of time.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Sociopaths and Psychopaths are two very different things and very different in the way they appear to people. There are extremely charismatic psychopaths who people don't suspect of being anything but a delightful human. Sociopaths, on the other hand, would be easier to recognize, generally speaking. They would quickly appear to not fit anywhere where as a more charismatic psychopath could easily fake it in a career, relationship, friendships, etc and be pretty successful for a long period of time.
I thought it was the inverse. sociopath=fool everyone

psychopath=hide yo kids hide yo wife

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp

yeah I was correct

Psychopaths are individuals who demonstrate risky behavior, as well as the inability to follow social norms. They exhibit extreme temperaments, ranging from fearlessness to impulsivity. Apart from suffering from anti-social personality disorder, psychopaths are known to be delusional. Conscience and empathy are some of the common traits they lack.

Sociopaths, on the other hand, feature relatively normal temperaments. They are easily agitated, and oftentimes nervous. While such individuals can be attached to an individual or a collective, they disregard the concept of society as a whole.

The symptoms of sociopaths arise from sociological aspects that have affected them negatively when they were young. These factors include poverty, aberrant peers, parental neglect, to name a few. To wit, nurture or environment contributes to a person’s sociopathic behavior.

High intelligence is often seen in sociopaths, although those with low IQs can be sociopathic as well.

Sociopaths are pathological liars who have no problems telling false claims. In fact, most sociopaths can pass their way out of a lie detector test. To wit, it is impossible to get the truth out of a sociopath.

Mademoiselle

noʎ ɟo ǝʇnɔ ʍoH
MBTI Type
-NTJ
Enneagram
5w4
This makes me doubt.
But anyway.. If I don’t have it it’s good.
If I’m a psychopath, then psychopath is also good.
Because I feel well, and there’s nothing wrong with me.

Kanra Jest

Av'ent'Gar'de ~
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Somehow I doubt all Pyschopaths or Sociopaths as I prefer the term are all the same, since "psycho" sounds crazy. Seems a bit generalizing some of these common terms. But I'm sure it is common at least when any are caught. As for being a true born psychopath, or a developed sociopath it wouldn't matter much that they are such but with how they utilize their less inhibited mental powers for something that is conducive to society like Sherlock in bcc vs Moriarty, who's the other less conducive side of the coin.

As for high intelligence masking psychopathy or sociopathy. It stands to reason that would be well possible consideration the self realization of their difference and developing safety measures to prevent anyone from knowing what would immediately alienate anyone from them if they knew, thus making them disfunctional unless no one knows. Which also means more outward self control.

Stek

MBTI Type
InTJ
"Study shows psychopathy can be hidden if the individual has high intelligence "

"ground-breaking research shows that there could be increased numbers of psychopaths in senior managerial positions and high levels of business"

Ground breaking?

I thought this was common knowledge. This is not amazing news.

These are the people who make our society work.

Thank you, psychopaths!
ltnlfz.jpg

Opal

MBTI Type
ENTP
People are weird... strong emotions drive us to do terrible things, but we demonize people who don't feel emotions. I understand our need to factionalize for security, but the prejudice we produce is far more harmful than the traits that divide us...