• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How important is it to you to feel important?

Freesia

cool cat
MBTI Type
Meow
Enneagram
:0)
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Question mark.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
i feel that question mark is often unsure about itself. because it always attached to things of uncertainty or used as a manipulation tool. I bet deep down the question mark wants to be important but just can't figure out how to. society has put the question mark in a position as such that it is only important when things of question arise. so while we see the question mark as important, the question mark itself doesn't. Because of the things we place it's importance on

now for my serious reply i think everyone to some extent even a little bit wants to feel important. i find if i feel chronically unimportant i start feeling worthless. but if I feel too important i get too big of an ego in the dangerous sense. and when that happens it gets cut down to size

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well I'm always surprised by how important it actually is.

Freesia

cool cat
MBTI Type
Meow
Enneagram
:0)
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
i feel that question mark is often unsure about itself. because it always attached to things of uncertainty or used as a manipulation tool. I bet deep down the question mark wants to be important but just can't figure out how to. society has put the question mark in a position as such that it is only important when things of question arise. so while we see the question mark as important, the question mark itself doesn't. Because of the things we place it's importance on

:happy2:

now for my serious reply i think everyone to some extent even a little bit wants to feel important. i find if i feel chronically unimportant i start feeling worthless. but if I feel too important i get too big of an ego in the dangerous sense. and when that happens it gets cut down to size

Yup. 'Tis a delicate balance, a vicious cycle.

Well I'm always surprised by how important it actually is.

:yes: I'd almost convinced myself that I don't feel much of a sense of belonging or obligation and just recently admitted that that was all self-deception. I need to feel needed and to have some type of status, even if it's negative.

Flâneuse

don't ask me
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It varies.

Feeling important in the world's eyes: It's not very important to me anymore. I usually (key word) don't mind being a "nobody" in society.
I admit this is kind of a selfish motivation, but sometimes I want to feel "secretly/silently important", like I'll use my life to enrich others' lives without demanding recognition for it.

Feeling important to the people who are most important to me: Very important.

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
It is important for myself to see my own importance. I don't care if most of the people see me as unimportant.

Evee

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It's not important to me.

olivetti

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I want to be valued as an individual and as a fellow human being, but I don't need to feel important. To me, the need to feel important implies that I'm better off - or better than - someone. But anyone can value me, and I can give others value.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
^^^ This. I feel like I have to matter in some way or the other. To matter, you have to be important in some context. And being important makes you feel important, though not necessarily superior, prideful, entitled.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
^ Agree with [MENTION=10714]Qlip[/MENTION] and [MENTION=20829]Hard[/MENTION]. Would add that I would also appreciate being SEEN as important/useful/needed. Though that's not quite as important to me.

Amalie Muller

MBTI Type
ENTP
I enjoy being worshiped as a genius and as being superior to other people. :D

If you were just a boring EQUAL to everyone else, why bother doing anything? Just let some other loser do it.

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hard to say. I think it's most important for me to feel like I have a positive impact on the people's lives I touch. Even if it's just being friendly. I'm pretty liberal with my definition of 'important'.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
It depends. I feel I am important and needed to the people in my life, in my career, etc. I don't feel or even want to feel important to the world in general.

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I am a speck of dust in this great cosmos.

In the grand scheme of things, not much.

For the moment, I feel much.

Arctic Hysteria

an abyss of Nothingness
MBTI Type
IxFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think the better words than "important" to describe what I utterly desire are "significant" and "irreplaceable", and I wish to be significant and irreplaceable to a few people in my life, my parents, my partner, my children, my best friends, even my close workers.

I loathe being described, thought of, talked about, talked to, treated, loved, cared for like everybody else, or anybody else. For myself and within every person I've connected to, I must have an authentic identity.
Hence it's easy for me to feel unimportant or insignificant. Most of the time, people don't put much thought and energy into truly identifying the people in their lives. Not everyone allows themselves to dive truly deep into another person to discover their uniqueness; people settle with their own reflection on somebody else. And so after a while a person you know is just another face. That IS scary.

When I leave a work place, if I hear that I'm hard to replace for the detailed good work that I've done, I know I'm important. When I'm with a partner, if I'm aware that I make him feel and do things he has never before, and the things we do / say are different and beyond what's between him and his previous, I know I'm important. When I go home after a night out with my friend and they let me know that it's been a long time since they could talk / have fun with somebody that way, I know I'm important.

Say, it's an INFP type 4 thing?!

Bush

cute lil war dog
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm not one to stand by and let life pass without influencing it. Ideally, I could stand to be important.

But being in the public eye leads to a lot of wrongheaded scrutiny, a thing that I wouldn't have the patience to deal with. Having statements misconstrued because I didn't word them just right? No, thanks.

Ghost

Megustalations
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
The idea of doing things that are redundant or irrelevant bothers me. If what I do could just as easily be done by someone else, then I have nothing of my own to contribute. It's a waste of my time to stick around. I want to participate because my involvement seems valuable or necessary.

Not sure how important it is to me because I rarely feel like I'm doing anything useful. Well, it's important enough to be noticeable to me.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I think it's important to me to be important in the right context. I would prefer to be regarded within my family and within my career as someone worthwhile. I have no desire for fame, though, and I don't feel an overwhelming drive to impact the world in a major memorable way in the long run. I just want to play a part in making the world the beautiful, happy, wondrous place my parents introduced me to when I was a child. Circle of Life and all.

Comeback Girl

Ratchet Ass Moon Fairy
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It's not that I want to feel important, I just don't want to feel useless.