• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How would you react to a "big" person? A celebrity?

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
A relatively big celebrity (sports) lives just down our street for part of the year. I've never treated him or his family any different than any of our other neighbors and I don't think anyone else here does either. I know he genuinely appreciates that, he is able to live very normally here.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I don't react much. I have had friends and acquaintences close to the industry and I simply don't really react much. I even dated some MMA coach but didn't know who he was before hand, I think it borderline insulted but intrigued him. I think it's something in your personality or not. My dad was a musician, my first real LTR was with a guy who still plays in bands, you are either too impressed or you learn to be around these people. One of my clients is the vice president of an evil pharmaceutical company. You wouldn't know it from me here. I come here to vent. I pride myself on not reacting irl. I grew up as a teen I the Raleigh scene in the late 90s and I think there was a rule to NOT react. My best friend dated a DJ, she was just featured in an Asian magazine. At some point you learn from these small encounters not to react. My ex grew up in Vegas we lived two streets over from Pink, my friends back then were sometimes millionaires in mortgage or real estate before the bubble crashed. I think some people prepare their whole life to live among big people normally. Not in an aspiring way like I want to be you, but like in a non chalant way. It isn't the norm, I know. It's like something you groom yourself to be. But if you groom yourself to be that you can experience a lot more in the world without people staring at you. Maybe a stringent Southern upbringing actually prepares one to do ok in L.A. I remember my ESFJ friend who grew up snobby with money being weirded out by how non chalant I was. As an ESFJ in her particular realm it kind of baffled her and made her get closed to me, like it gave me power, something she didn't understand. You must understand that a lot of the rich or famous are spectacularly insecure and they just jaw drop at people who act as if their social hierarchy doesn't exist. I don't know how much to give my upbringing or my ESFJ ex for that. You treat them like people, because they are.

One person I might have to prepare myself for is Lana del Rey, I think she's awesome in concert, I am pretty sure she acknowledges everyone at her concert, she reminds me of myself in that way, like she really believes people are people and she yearns to express it to her fans. I have had guys recognize me, but I have never been recognized on that level and I am not sure I would ever want to be, I have heard she modestly thanks people for saying she looks like Lana del Rey and plays dumb. People whom I truly admire make me nervous, like a crush, I have an acquaintence who knows her but does not respect her, he's basically like a douche who got let in via the side door to one of her recordings, that happens a lot here.

But yeah, I non react unless I personally really admire someone. I try not to react. I have a friend I have known for years who apparently recently became a public figure on Facebook and she joked about it, I love her, she's this amazing real ENFJ person.

People are people, they really are, and they will respond by how you conduct yourself.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I was one of the people who made him/her popular, I expect to get respected.
Don’t get me disappointed.

That only works with people like Lana. Our generation maybe is very YouTube star, like, that girl who wrote Girl Online, or Jenna Marbles, or some one like Lana.

Some people lose sight of what made them famous. The only only thing that you can do is not react, imo. I mean in some cases it's natural ("oh you are Tori Spelling, this is your store, good for you honey") but in other cases you have to ignore them. If at this point I met Eminem I think the worst thing I could do is ignore him and stop buying his records. You can't necessarily expect every famous person to acknowledge you. I mean think about being you. I had some freak once chase me through Wal Mart calling me my stage name. You have to understand this happens to famous people every day. How would you feel if you couldn't go to Ralphs in peace? That is part of it, not just entitlement as a fan, but remembering that they're still a human being who likes to leave the house. Fame has seemed like a curse to me ever since Princess Diana was killed.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Befriend and then get them to buy me things.

That's certainly an angle but usually only works with people sexually attracted to you, in which case you can most assuredly do that without befriending the famous.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I would just avoid a celebrity. I have a strong aversion to celebrity culture let alone being associated with them in some way, so I would exchange pleasantries with said person then return to whatever I was doing.

Besides, in reality most celebrities are assholes...my grandparents lived next door to some high profile celebrities in Sydney for a while, and they constantly took up space on the street, were uncompromising with parking, and naturally invited attention from the parasitical media which meant it was hard to have peace and quiet in the area. Another divorce (aren't they great?) put paid to that though :)

I'm not sure all celebrities but narcissistic people in general are like that. Yes narcissistic people become celebrities no doubt, but all celebrities aren't narcissistic and all narcissistic people aren't celebrities. I personally find it far more annoying when they're a married couple from Mar Vista with a mortgage, 2.5 children and etc.i absolutely want to physically attack those people. There's nothing I hate more than an upper class white woman who thinks she deserves special treatment because she has blond sprogs. I usually more easily entertain narcissistic behavior in celebrities because they have a touch of the "quid pro quo" about them. Say what you will about actors and musicians but generally they're willing to WORK and GIVE to others beyond their immediate circle for their incessant need for attention.

Mademoiselle

noʎ ɟo ǝʇnɔ ʍoH
MBTI Type
-NTJ
Enneagram
5w4
That only works with people like Lana. Our generation maybe is very YouTube star, like, that girl who wrote Girl Online, or Jenna Marbles, or some one like Lana.

Some people lose sight of what made them famous. The only only thing that you can do is not react, imo. I mean in some cases it's natural ("oh you are Tori Spelling, this is your store, good for you honey") but in other cases you have to ignore them. If at this point I met Eminem I think the worst thing I could do is ignore him and stop buying his records. You can't necessarily expect every famous person to acknowledge you. I mean think about being you. I had some freak once chase me through Wal Mart calling me my stage name. You have to understand this happens to famous people every day. How would you feel if you couldn't go to Ralphs in peace? That is part of it, not just entitlement as a fan, but remembering that they're still a human being who likes to leave the house. Fame has seemed like a curse to me ever since Princess Diana was killed.

Thanks for giving examples.

Morpeko

Noble Wolf
MBTI Type
LEFV
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Lets say you went to a school and the Most Important Person in the school was introduced. Let's say some time went by and (s)he sat in your table. What thoughts would you have? How would you start the converstion? How would you carry the conversation?

Me? Start and carry a conversation? Yeah right.

I'd probably wonder what their ulterior motive for sitting next to me was. In school I've had popular people talk to me only to make me feel bad about myself, so I'd think that's very much a possibility and probably keep quiet. I'd probably be respectful as best as I could, but very visibly nervous.

Lets say you were involved in a social media site. Now someone claimed they had an alternate account for someone who had 100,000,000 times of watching their video or whatever. They just want to chat with someone. How would you carry the conversation?

Well, I wouldn't believe their claim. And I'd probably think they were just fishing for compliments if they decided to tell me that. If they just wanted to chat, they didn't need to talk about their viral video. Therefore, I'd be annoyed and probably stop talking to them.

Let's say that some person seemed nice. They seemed ok. They would tell their title (or some aspect of it) in an honest manner. Lets's say they said to be a journalist. They would let you assume that something important would be going on. How would you carry the conversation?

If they seemed okay I would engage with them respectfully but probably leave quickly. Basically, I just don't do well with strangers.

Let's say you meet someone online. They said a few smart things. They would not claim much anything about themselves. You would get interested in them. They would still say nothing. You would demand them to state their title and such. They would avoid the question. How would you carry the conversation?

I don't really think of people in terms of titles. I often come across this situation online, but I would not demand anyone to state their title. I am more interested in other things about them and would ask for those kinds of things. Like what kinds of hobbies and passions they have or something.

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've done this by accident. I am usually capable of holding a conversation with anyone, and I would try to impress them without revealing my complete lack of fame and money. I think some celebrities want to be seen as normal again, and treating the as equals is something they'd want.

Schrödinger's Name

Blessed With A Curse
Celebraties don't have to fear me, I probably won't even know who they are- let alone recognize them.

J. Starke

MBTI Type
entj
I kinda hate those people that lose their shit when they see a celebrity, like they saw Jesus coming back. Never understood it.

Mole

Permabanned
We have a slightly different response to celebrity. Our politicians walk amongst us without security, and when we see a celebrity in our supermarket, we studiously avoid them, to respect their privacy.

We recognise the wealthy, famous, and powerful as people like ourselves. We don't cast them as super human, nor do we confuse them with the roles they play on the screen, in politics, or in business. We don't confuse celebrity with the supernatural.

In this way we not only respect celebrities as people, we respect ourselves.

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
I probably wouldnt recognize them unless it was really obvious. And even then Id be too shy to talk to them and honestly probably feel like it wasnt right to bug them in their free time.

Mole

Permabanned
We do though live in an Attention Economy, hundreds of billions of dollars are spent every year just to get our attention.

Some of us get more attention than others. And attention being a scarce commodity, it means a small number of us are attention rich, and most of us are attention poor. So most of us are impoverished by celebrity, but worse, we are entranced by them. We pay them attention, while they pay us no attention. They are the stars, while we are the trash.

We can start to reverse this in our daily lives, by learning to actively listen to each other. By actively listening we enrich each other.

Earl Grey

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
It's happened that several 'most important persons' from school sat with me or came to me. They tend to be pompous, and my immediate reaction is asking what they want and what business do they have. I wouldn't start nor carry any conversation.

Realistically speaking, if someone came and said, "Hey, I'm Bryan Reynolds from Zwitter with 10M followers and I want to talk to you!" who on god's green earth would actually respond to that? And what business does anyone have stating how many followers they have? What kind of information is it communicating? If they need help with something surely they'd have a whole bunch of important people in their circle to ask from. Even if they were real, there is literally no reason to talk to them unless it was related to and could help something you were doing (eg; discussing job expectations, etc from an established person in your field).

I don't think one has to be friends with people to enjoy their intellectual contributions- just like one would be with a teacher, or an educated peer, mentor, or even youtube personality if that's what you'd like. If it's their intelligence that was interesting, I'd likely want to know more about the subjects they are into than who they are as a person. I've met famous people and I've found that I don't give a rat's ass as to who they are- if I'm not interested in the subject of their expertise (if any), we just won't talk. With a lot of more 'famous' people, it is their skill that is being broadcast, not who they are, so such an approach would only be natural (how can one do otherwise? Why would one do otherwise?)

This has been a mini rant and I am SO HAPPY to have graduated from the hormonal clustertruck that is high school which was the worst peak of celebrity idolatry within my friend circles. SO GLAD to be away from that.

Mole

Permabanned
The Ancient Egyptians had big people. The Ancient Egyptians put huge statues of big people in front of their eternal pyramids. These Egyptian big people were supernatural, and the Ancient Egyptians would hallucinate their voices, and follow their commands.

Today we listen to the voices of our celebrities in our media, and we imitate their attitudes and life styles.

Mole

Permabanned
Jesus is our biggest person, indeed He is our personal friend, and if we are sane, we imagine His voice, but if we are insane, we hallucinate His voice.

Jesus, we are told, is the perfect man, and we can do no more than imitate Him, indeed if we imitate Him, we will gain eternal life.

We have been imitating Jesus at least since the Middle Ages, and we follow the instructions of the book, "The Imitation of Christ", by Thomas a Kempis, click The Imitation of Christ - Wikipedia.

Tomb1

for actual celebrities, i will type them and then add 'em to my list...like a collectible. if I already have them typed, I'll just see them as another exemplar on my list.

Black Sun

Lets say you went to a school and the Most Important Person in the school was introduced. Let's say some time went by and (s)he sat in your table. What thoughts would you have? How would you start the converstion? How would you carry the conversation?

Why are they the most important person in school? Why are they popular?
I never noticed who was popular in school. I like certain individuals for personal reasons, and I usually don't even bother starting conversations with people who have gained my respect or who intrigue me. I couldn't care less about how much social currency someone has.

Lets say you were involved in a social media site. Now someone claimed they had an alternate account for someone who had 100,000,000 times of watching their video or whatever. They just want to chat with someone. How would you carry the conversation?

I'd rather bathe in acid than have that job. I would direct the conversation to an end in any way that I could. I don't care.

Let's say that some person seemed nice. They seemed ok. They would tell their title (or some aspect of it) in an honest manner. Lets's say they said to be a journalist. They would let you assume that something important would be going on. How would you carry the conversation?

I would just be direct and ask what is going on if what they said piqued my curiosity. I'll say goodbye and move on if they try to avoid the question.

Let's say you meet someone online. They said a few smart things. They would not claim much anything about themselves. You would get interested in them. They would still say nothing. You would demand them to state their title and such. They would avoid the question. How would you carry the conversation?

I don't like small talk questions about titles and such. I wouldn't ask someone questions that I think are invasive and boring, and I'd prefer to just get real and skip the conversation filler if I'm interested in someone.
I'd be attuned to how engaged the other person seems and their boundaries during the conversation. I don't want to interrogate or be interrogated. I'll get more information about the other person through the conversation as it naturally deepens if it is fueled by mutual interest.

A celebrity is just a human being. I'd continue doing what ever I am doing, or I might avoid them to prevent myself from being caught up in some annoying fan frenzy.