• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Personality Code-Switching

Recoleta

No me digas, che!
MBTI Type
ISXJ
As a Language/ESOL major, I have learned that one major component of language is knowing the appropriateness of usage and context. People adjust their language usage and patterns according to context and their audience. It's fascinating to analyze, really, (but I'll let you take my word for it).

In a way, MBTI bugs me because it tries to box each of us in to nice little personality boxes that attempt to account for our behavior and decision-making processes...when really, I am a personality code-switcher. Not to say that I have multiple personalities or am suffering from schizophrenia or something, but really, I adjust my behavior and the personality that I portray based on the context and skills that a particular situation calls for.

For instance, when I am at my restaurant job, most people would probably think I was extroverted. I force myself into small talk with people -- I put on a show. I smile, I make jokes, I play the charismatic card fairly well.

When I'm sitting in my classes, I am quiet, reserved, and I only speak if I feel I have something of value to say.

When I am tutoring students or teaching a class, I'm speaking clearly and with confidence. I usually remain casual and collected, but I always try to be prepared and organized even though a lot of times teaching calls for spontaneous, off-the-cuff clarification and examples.

When I'm at home, my room/house is often a wreck. I have a pathway where I can walk to the bathroom and to the blinds so I can open them. My stuff is everywhere. I prefer it organized, but I figure I'm meticulous about everything else, so I can stand to let this part of my life go for a little while until I have time to address it.

When I'm with friends, I can be either the quiet one, the mean/sarcastic one, the nice one, the go-getter, or the laid back one -- all depending on which friend I am around.

When I think about it, identity, in a large part, seems to be shaped by the relations we have with people and the way others perceive us. I am the same person, and yet I play many roles according to what skills are needed and the people who are around me. I don't change my value system, but I do regulate my behavior. So what "personality type" am I? I don't really know.

Is my personality who I am when no one else is around?
Is it the role I am most comfortable playing?
Is it a reflection of my general tendencies across all situations?

Blah, you know what? I'm a believer that everyone chooses for themselves who they want to be. Sure, we have tendencies and perhaps biologic impulses toward certain behavior, but when it boils down to it, I choose who I will be.

Thoughts? Discuss.

Mole

Permabanned
Blah, you know what? I'm a believer that everyone chooses for themselves who they want to be. Sure, we have tendencies and perhaps biologic impulses toward certain behavior, but when it boils down to it, I choose who I will be.

Thoughts? Discuss.

Not me, mate.

I let Jeffster choose my personality.

Who are you? Who are you to say I choose my own personality?

Check it out in the Graveyard down below under Two Members Argue.

Cindy

MBTI Type
INTJ
I think it is that in a situation of stress we will behave most like our personality type, at other times we can act quite different. I'm open to the possibility that personality types may change over a lifetime.

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP

I am most myself when I am not watching me being me. The roles I have, I try to keep them as few as possible.

Littlelostnf

MBTI Type
ENFJ
I think we all have much range within our types but there is generally a theme that carries thru. Your theme will determine your type. How you write your theme is all about how, when and who you learned certain things (from) in your life.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
*sigh* Being that you're SJ you should get a break for not understanding things, but hey, the SJs don't give me a break when I forget to file my tax return....

If you don't like the rules, you don't have to play.

"But like, sometimes I totally talk to people even though it says I'm ESFP. Oh, huh?" *sigh*

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
Is it the role I am most comfortable playing?
Is it a reflection of my general tendencies across all situations?
Many get the wrong results in disregarding the principles of takig the assessments. You should always answer questions as to how you are when alone and in a peaceful atmosphere. Ergo it should be easy for someone to distinguish a preference for E/I since introverts have little to no interest in wondering what they're missing in the world.

Clearly we all adapt to immediate needs (some better than others) so playing roles is not only common, but a self-preservation tool regardless of type. We do have one type that we generally prefer over the other fifteen, but there is no indication that we should or do use those functions exclusively.

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
but there is no indication that we should or do use those functions exclusively.

Exactly. The type is not meant to say "you shouldn't do this" or "you have to do that" it is to tell you what you like and what you do best. If the problem is that you don't see your type as "you", then you have either mistyped yourself or you are expecting the type to tell EXACTLY what you are.