• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

A theory

magpie

Permabanned
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
What if online you are a different person like your doppleganger comes out and people on here know you as that. But IRL your very different in how you approach things. Does that mean what they're typing you on here is true. Because you aren't being inauthetic it's just a different side of you that you can't express in the real world. Out of fear of being punched or getting the "you just hit my dog" face which kills me. So In real life you're conflict avoidant unless someone pushes you far enough then you will destroy them, but feel extremely guilty even though they deserved it. but on here you're always in conflicts. or if it's a company if you express your feelings they might get made and make things worse so you say nothing. because you don't want to make things worse.

Just from the few interactions I've had with you, prpl, I did suspect that you enjoyed conflict. I also wouldn't have suspected for you to be as sensitive to other people's emotions as you say you are in real life. But you do seem reactive and sensitive in your own right so I guess that's not surprising. None of these things I'm saying are insults. They're just observations about the way I interpreted our interactions. But, like you more or less said, only you can know yourself and therefore only you can type yourself. You're the final authority on anything that has to do with you, not anyone else.

small.wonder

So she did.
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
To the OP: Holy crap, [MENTION=360]prplchknz[/MENTION]! I think this actually might explain why I test second highest in 8, and why people are intimidated by me in public sometimes!

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Noooo. The idiots we have to endure provide amusement and memes. You're not an idiot.

some people would disagree. but i'm not saying to think I'm an idiot. I am whatever in terms of idiot vs non-idiot in your head.

- - - Updated - - -

To the OP: Holy crap, [MENTION=360]prplchknz[/MENTION]! I think this actually might explain why I test second highest in 8, and why people are intimidated by me in public sometimes!

that you're different offline vs online? I think most people are.

- - - Updated - - -

Just from the few interactions I've had with you, prpl, I did suspect that you enjoyed conflict. I also wouldn't have suspected for you to be as sensitive to other people's emotions as you say you are in real life. But you do seem reactive and sensitive in your own right so I guess that's not surprising. None of these things I'm saying are insults. They're just observations about the way I interpreted our interactions. But, like you more or less said, only you can know yourself and therefore only you can type yourself. You're the final authority on anything that has to do with you, not anyone else.

I found nothing insulting in what you just said.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
some people would disagree. but i'm not saying to think I'm an idiot. I am whatever in terms of idiot vs non-idiot in your head.

You post a lot, but it's not drivel like I see from some members. You seem to be an intelligent person. Whether or not I always see eye to eye with you doesn't matter so much.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
You post a lot, but it's not drivel like I see from some members. You seem to be an intelligent person. Whether or not I always see eye to eye with you doesn't matter so much.

I think the same as you. if someone is intelligent even if i disagree and they've prove they're intelligent it doesn't matter if i agree politically. because we can have the same starting facts but end up with different conclusions in how to deal with those facts. that's why i don't argue opinions

small.wonder

So she did.
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
That you're different offline vs online? I think most people are.

No, I mean the "mirror" self (shadow functions) thing. I'd say 8 is pretty much the inverse of 4 in a lot of arguable ways, and I do tend to go 8 in public/social settings. I actually don't think I really am much different online vs. offline, but maybe that's my health talking. Plus, I suppose I don't know how people perceive me on here. :shrug:

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think the same as you. if someone is intelligent even if i disagree and they've prove they're intelligent it doesn't matter if i agree politically. because we can have the same starting facts but end up with different conclusions in how to deal with those facts. that's why i don't argue opinions

euxl5uD.jpg

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
No, I mean the "mirror" self (shadow functions) thing. I'd say 8 is pretty much the inverse of 4 in a lot of arguable ways, and I do tend to go 8 in public/social settings. I actually don't think I really am much different online vs. offline, but maybe that's my health talking. Plus, I suppose I don't know how people perceive me on here. :shrug:

o ok. I gotcha. people have been trying to type me as 8 lately and that's laughable or at least 8 in my tritype. if they saw me in real life they'd be like nope. I might disengrate to an 8

small.wonder

So she did.
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
o ok. I gotcha. people have been trying to type me as 8 lately and that's laughable or at least 8 in my tritype. if they saw me in real life they'd be like nope. I might disengrate to an 8

For the record, I've seen you as a 6 for a long time-- even before you put that on your profile.

yeghor

yeah it's the one i relate to the most. they agree that 6 is in my tritype.

You are a 5w6 INTP, who act like an ENTJ when angered or irritated, that is to say you switch to type 6.

I'd expect your tritype would be something like 593.

I think you are probably a 481, which correlates to ISFP. People being intimidated by you in public is due to your aggressive body language coming from your auxiliary Se.

What the OP mentions I believe is switching to her shadow functions online and people getting confused over her online persona, which would, in your case, mean ISFP reverting to ESFJ, in other words, a type 4 starting to act like a type 3, attention seeking behaviour and emotional manipulation.

chubber

failed poetry slam career
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Shadow functions manifest themselves when your main self fails to cope with something (negative feelings like anger, sadness, fear etc) or when you have no fear of repercussions and retaliations.

Consider how you act towards or around strangers. That's your main (guarded) type.

Consider how you act around family or close friends. That's your shadow type.

Would it be possible to break it down even further, by saying. that there is a different shadow for each event type.

• negative feelings like anger, sadness or fear
  • no fear of repercussions and retaliations
e.g.

depending on which version:
same order, opposite orientations (INTP -> ENTJ)
INTP: Ti Ne Si Fe
ENTJ: Te Ni Se Fi

opposite order, same orientation (INTP -> ESFJ)
ESFJ: Fe Si Ne Ti

opposite orientation, opposite order (INTP -> ISFP)
ISFP: Fi Se Ni Te

yeghor

Would it be possible to break it down even further, by saying. that there is a different shadow for each event type.

• negative feelings like anger, sadness or fear
  • no fear of repercussions and retaliations
e.g.

depending on which version:
same order, opposite orientations (INTP -> ENTJ)
ENTJ: Te Ni Se Fi

opposite order, same orientation (INTP -> ESFJ)
ESFJ: Fe Si Ne Ti

opposite orientation, opposite order (INTP -> ISFP)
ISFP: Fi Se Ni Te

The easiest path for the shadow to engage is thru the inverse of dominant function (the opposing function). Engaging the shadow thru the inferior function or its inverse would be impractical in that it's the weakest function of an individual.

Shadow OTOH may be triggered by others thru itching the individual's inferior function.

The purpose of the shadow is to fend off stimuli that's overbearingly irritating or unbearable to the normal self, when normal self can no longer cope with it and collapses.

What happens if the shadow collapses too, that I don't know. Ego death?

Chad of the OttomanEmpire

Give me a fourth dot.
MBTI Type
NeTi
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
What if online you are a different person like your doppleganger comes out and people on here know you as that. But IRL your very different in how you approach things. Does that mean what they're typing you on here is true. Because you aren't being inauthetic it's just a different side of you that you can't express in the real world. Out of fear of being punched or getting the "you just hit my dog" face which kills me. So In real life you're conflict avoidant unless someone pushes you far enough then you will destroy them, but feel extremely guilty even though they deserved it. but on here you're always in conflicts. or if it's a company if you express your feelings they might get made and make things worse so you say nothing. because you don't want to make things worse.
I kind of agree. Damn, I've seen so many people on here saying things to me they wouldn't say IRL.

I hate to think that nearly everyone is just cowering behind the computer screen (although this happens), but it's also an artificial sort of socializing--quiet people can come off looking talkative and long-winded, etc. This isn't real socializing, so we are bound to "vibe" differently than we are.

Yeah, I've given up on typing people online exactly for the reasons we're both mentioning. It's NOT real interaction, and we can present ourselves as anything we want. You're absolutely right.

In my own case, I swear to God my mind works the same online as it does IRL, but you have to get to know me before you see that side of me. Plus, words sometimes come out of my mouth differently than they sound when I think them (I mean, I would never say "Oh my goodness", but I've typed it a few times), then different individuals will read an interpret my words slightly differently...of course our doppelgangers come out online.

FWIW, I've been told I come across as a 6, 7, 1, 9, or occasionally 8 online (though the 8 is disputable to many because I don't waste much time with online arguments). IRL, most people (my own family) seemed to think I was a 4 or 5 when I showed them years ago. They'd never figure me for a 9. Go figure out those discrepancies. Those who find me plain-spoken, interesting, and chatty online would be taken aback by how withdrawn, asocial, and non-participatory I am upon first meeting IRL.

I swear, though, I am still the same person inside my head.

small.wonder

So she did.
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think you are probably a 481, which correlates to ISFP. People being intimidated by you in public is due to your aggressive body language coming from your auxiliary Se.

What the OP mentions I believe is switching to her shadow functions online and people getting confused over her online persona, which would, in your case, mean ISFP reverting to ESFJ, in other words, a type 4 starting to act like a type 3, attention seeking behaviour and emotional manipulation.

Lol. Interesting but not accurate, mostly because a person cannot be 581 as that's a double gut type tritype-- no one is that gutsy. ;) if I could be any other tritype it would be 451, but I test too high on 8 and only test high in 1 when I'm healthy (integration). That said, I think your train of thought may have something; after massive (exhausting) reading, posting a freaking video of length and other means, if pressed I believe my MBTI is INfJ (or really INxJ), though I'm not sure what that would translate to as far as shadow functions go. Haha, oh the thought of me seeming 3-ish. If I were capable of that it'd probably actually be pretty helpful to me, I suck at marketing myself and hardly use my gifts because I despise show offs so much-- it's actually a shame, I'm working on it.

Noll

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
I behave very differently online than what I do in real life, still my motives are the same, online I am more what I'd like to be. But being on the internet is just a stupid waste of time... escapism! Everyone I meet on the internet, I'll never meet in real life, and no one here is really my friend.

yeghor

Lol. Interesting but not accurate, mostly because a person cannot be 581 as that's a double gut type tritype-- no one is that gutsy. ;) if I could be any other tritype it would be 451, but I test too high on 8 and only test high in 1 when I'm healthy (integration). That said, I think your train of thought may have something; after massive (exhausting) reading, posting a freaking video of length and other means, if pressed I believe my MBTI is INfJ (or really INxJ), though I'm not sure what that would translate to as far as shadow functions go. Haha, oh the thought of me seeming 3-ish. If I were capable of that it'd probably actually be pretty helpful to me, I suck at marketing myself and hardly use my gifts because I despise show offs so much-- it's actually a shame, I'm working on it.

You could be 486 then. Don't know why but the closest is 468 tritype.

Work on that enneagram 3 charm. I already sense some type 3 playfulness :)