• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why is violence so prevalent in Western culture?

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
i know this is also what i've been told about standards of living when i have been in the developing world. namely, that being middle-class in the US is the equivalent–literally–of living like royalty in nepal. usually, we are told violence is higher where there is greater poverty but in the US we don't realize how much we have compared to the rest of the world and still have high levels of violence for a developed country. so, we have wealth from a global perspective and high levels of violence for the developed world.

There is absolute poverty and relative poverty. All signs point to social equality being an important factor in both individual happiness and social peace. In other words, the greater the gap between rich and poor the more discontent, violence and crime you get.

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
"In one study of 4,462 military veterans, those with high testosterone levels had been in more trouble with the law, been more violent, and racked up an unusually large number of sexual partners."

"Daly and Wilson pointed out that most violence has to do with status and mates - especially the lack thereof. In one study of Detroit homicides, 41% of the perpetrators were unemployed, and 73% were unmarried."

From "The Rational Animal" by Kenrick and Griskevicius

So it's desperate young people with large balls who are the problem.

Mole

Permabanned
There is absolute poverty and relative poverty. All signs point to social equality being an important factor in both individual happiness and social peace. In other words, the greater the gap between rich and poor the more discontent, violence and crime you get.

Yes, this appears to be true. And the most unequal nation in the developed world is the USA, which is also the most violent.

So much so, violence is valorised with guns.

Serendipity

the Dark Prophet of Kualu
MBTI Type
RAD
Just two hundred years ago, death toll was up 10x times.

that's three generations.

Even with our shootings and occasional gun-me-downs, we are still having a smaller deathtoll than a hundred years ago.

Two hundred years ago, if someone acted inappropriately, I might take my axe and do him a welcoming visit. Not speaking of high society here.

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Just two hundred years ago, death toll was up 10x times.

Maybe three optimistic lifetimes ago, but that is more like eight generations in the sense that word is normally used in such a context (1 generation = roughly 25 years).

Serendipity

the Dark Prophet of Kualu
MBTI Type
RAD
Red Herring said:
[quote name="Serendipity" post=2340371]Just two hundred years ago, death toll was up 10x times.

Maybe three optimistic lifetimes ago, but that is more like eight generations in the sense that word is normally used in such a context (1 generation = roughly 25 years).[/quote]

Ah, cool, I had no idea how to use that word correctly! thanks!

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
My ISTP was explaining it to me his way, that I thought might hold weight. He has a book called Pronoia or something like that but basically it disputes our culture of paranoia with facts and one of the biggest things is how strongly the.murder rate has gone down as humans have progressed, we are much less likely to be murdered than our ancestors and he was talking about how people mostly are smart enough to focus their violence into things like sports and movies and S/M or whatever but some people just aren't and they would have been warriors 500 years ago but now they're lost in the parking lot of life and feel confined so shoot people in schools and airports.

I honestly thought he was making a lot of sense. I mean christ I.used to walk off of school campus alone so I wouldn't snap and hit some one or start crying.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Western society is not our "natural habitat" and some people show more symptoms because of it..

Yeah basically that, and what [MENTION=19503]Comeback Girl[/MENTION] said.

There is no fictional fifties. I learned by studying the great depression that a lot of that shit is the Hollywood illusion.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
You have seen my pics. I bet I am a good five years younger than you. Never assume that somebody holds a particular view based on their age; not all Millennials are lemmings.

In reality popular culture glorifies violence, especially through music (negro/ghetto music such as rap, as well as the various types of metal) and films. The amount of violence in recent movies (90s onward) is a lot higher than in old ones as well. The James Bond franchise is a good example - compare the Sean Connery and Roger Moore era films to more recent ones.

Did you really just say negro music? Yeah sure you're totally Gen Y, you aren't 72 at all.

I think I am starting to feel the problem with you. As an INTJ your inner SFP wants to be retro and hip and your Te took a nosedive somewhere in racist sexist backwoods squaresville. Next time try a little more Sam Spade and a lot less Archie Bunker.

Kullervo

Permabanned
MBTI Type
N/A
Did you really just say negro music? Yeah sure you're totally Gen Y, you aren't 72 at all.

Well well, look who is stereotyping people now...

I think I am starting to feel the problem with you. As an INTJ your inner SFP wants to be retro and hip and your Te took a nosedive somewhere in racist sexist backwoods squaresville. Next time try a little more Sam Spade and a lot less Archie Bunker.

It looks like you have no idea what my music tastes are either. All these assumptions are comic relief and show how low you have gone.

Just to spell it out for everybody's benefit: [MENTION=6877]Marmotini[/MENTION]'s last few posts to me in various threads show a concerted attempt to caricature and dehumanise. It is a typical leftist tactic to denigrate the opponent as an "other" to discourage others from listening. The irony is that this is exactly what those like her accuse me of doing: categorising people. The difference is that while I categorise people based on biological realities my enemies categorise them based on their views. One is concrete, the other is abstract. I'll leave you all to decide which matters more.

And as for "racist sexist backwoods squareville"...

177504728_33_656x438.jpg

8534160284_8695c5312d_z.jpg

Both of these places are only 30 mins away from my house. Suck on it.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
My ISTP was explaining it to me his way, that I thought might hold weight. He has a book called Pronoia or something like that but basically it disputes our culture of paranoia with facts and one of the biggest things is how strongly the.murder rate has gone down as humans have progressed, we are much less likely to be murdered than our ancestors and he was talking about how people mostly are smart enough to focus their violence into things like sports and movies and S/M or whatever but some people just aren't and they would have been warriors 500 years ago but now they're lost in the parking lot of life and feel confined so shoot people in schools and airports.

I honestly thought he was making a lot of sense. I mean christ I.used to walk off of school campus alone so I wouldn't snap and hit some one or start crying.

I'm not sure I entirely agree with your boyfriend. Although I do think there is a lot of violence within humanity, (but largely as a reaction to the conditions of the environment around them and their approach to that/stresses on a personal level as well as our evolution), I don't think it can be excused as "oh they are just natural warriors". What's wrong with boxing, martial arts? Even cage fighting? Etc.... Are those too structured for the warriors of the world? When talking of being smart enough, what IS smart enough? I can see it was more of a cursory delve into that aspect of our nature but even so I can't even take that at a holistic level because it's more reasonable to inspect a persons background, influences and biology.

I do agree, though, with the idea of western civilization not necessarily being our natural habitat although I find it hard to pinpoint anything as being our natural habitat, given the influence of environment and our evolution. At one point it appeared natural for our ancestors to kill and cannibalise other species of homo, perhaps that is more natural for us? What I see around me are lots of conflicting idealisms and like the forces of nature at some point something has to give way to a superior force and it results in one idealism being trampled underfoot by the proponents of another.

What is true is that given the right pressures, circumstances and triggers I could easily become a mass murderer, (as could many others), although I'd like to pretend I am mentally strong enough to recognise such influences as they arise. But the irrational component of our psyche's appear to me, to have more sway and power than the rational ever could.

We're basically a collective reaction, endlessly trying to rationalise after the action.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
?

Violence seems pretty cross-cultural.

Have people never followed a news story that takes place outside of the U.S. before? Read about history?

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The difference is that while I categorise people based on biological realities my enemies categorise them based on their views. One is concrete, the other is abstract. I'll leave you all to decide which matters more.
One is within an individual's ability to control; the other is simply luck of the draw, and we are stuck with. I for one prefer to be judged by my choices than my biology.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I'm not sure I entirely agree with your boyfriend. Although I do think there is a lot of violence within humanity, (but largely as a reaction to the conditions of the environment around them and their approach to that/stresses on a personal level as well as our evolution), I don't think it can be excused as "oh they are just natural warriors". What's wrong with boxing, martial arts? Even cage fighting? Etc.... Are those too structured for the warriors of the world? When talking of being smart enough, what IS smart enough? I can see it was more of a cursory delve into that aspect of our nature but even so I can't even take that at a holistic level because it's more reasonable to inspect a persons background, influences and biology.

I do agree, though, with the idea of western civilization not necessarily being our natural habitat although I find it hard to pinpoint anything as being our natural habitat, given the influence of environment and our evolution. At one point it appeared natural for our ancestors to kill and cannibalise other species of homo, perhaps that is more natural for us? What I see around me are lots of conflicting idealisms and like the forces of nature at some point something has to give way to a superior force and it results in one idealism being trampled underfoot by the proponents of another.

What is true is that given the right pressures, circumstances and triggers I could easily become a mass murderer, (as could many others), although I'd like to pretend I am mentally strong enough to recognise such influences as they arise. But the irrational component of our psyche's appear to me, to have more sway and power than the rational ever could.

We're basically a collective reaction, endlessly trying to rationalise after the action.

He actually used to box competitively so I am.sure he would actually agree with you, as do I since I enjoy bloody Rob Zombie films (one of my favorite scenes in any movie ever is when she goes primal and kills Mike Myers at the end of Zombies Halloween)...most normal people find a sane outlet for aggression, it could be something as unrelated as hard exercise like running, or slapping someone during sex. But we REALLY are under a lot of structural control now as a society and I duck it as much as humanly possible ...some people can't take it and something is wrong, whether we call it stupid or mentally ill. In my opinion there also seems to be misguided sense of entitlement involved in public rampages, like oh.poor little serial killer...but you know it was easier to get away with murder as recently as the early 80s.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Well well, look who is stereotyping people now...

It looks like you have no idea what my music tastes are either. All these assumptions are comic relief and show how low you have gone.

Just to spell it out for everybody's benefit: [MENTION=6877]Marmotini[/MENTION]'s last few posts to me in various threads show a concerted attempt to caricature and dehumanise. It is a typical leftist tactic to denigrate the opponent as an "other" to discourage others from listening. The irony is that this is exactly what those like her accuse me of doing: categorising people. The difference is that while I categorise people based on biological realities my enemies categorise them based on their views. One is concrete, the other is abstract. I'll leave you all to decide which matters more.

And as for "racist sexist backwoods squareville"...

177504728_33_656x438.jpg

8534160284_8695c5312d_z.jpg

Both of these places are only 30 mins away from my house. Suck on it.

Two things:

1) no thanks. I already have plenty of that.

2) the term negro music went south to poor taste before Kennedy was assassinated, grow up

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
He actually used to box competitively so I am.sure he would actually agree with you, as do I since I enjoy bloody Rob Zombie films (one of my favorite scenes in any movie ever is when she goes primal and kills Mike Myers at the end of Zombies Halloween)...most normal people find a sane outlet for aggression, it could be something as unrelated as hard exercise like running, or slapping someone during sex. But we REALLY are under a lot of structural control now as a society and I duck it as much as humanly possible ...some people can't take it and something is wrong, whether we call it stupid or mentally ill. In my opinion there also seems to be misguided sense of entitlement involved in public rampages, like oh.poor little serial killer...but you know it was easier to get away with murder as recently as the early 80s.

Well you've hit on something here that has been on my mind for a long time. It seems as if everything happens like it's a giant chemical reaction to an event and it doesn't have to be singular, it can be any event you can think of, in this context though I'm thinking of events in human history. Elements get pushed together in our species' own personal pressure cooker and then it all becomes a massive explosion of activity. Usually this results in a change or shift from one state to another.

But when it dies down an external structure often comes up to give security to people after the event. It's because it's comfortable and I think we often mistake external security for internal security, or assume having the external means we will have the other. But too much of that structure, as you said, is stifling. It essentially bores people into activity again.

True there are other motivations as well, of course there are, idealistically and physically and security based again but not status quo as much as basic stability of land conquest or possession. What bothers me more, however, is there are a lot of people for whom the external human structure is the only real guiding force in their considerations.

Think of Lord of The Flies, that division between those individuals who were able to reason or rather rationalise their understanding of what morality is, of what a society is and a better understanding of it's structure, where it can fail and where it can succeed and whether or not it is a trap for molding people to what suits it or if it is a necessary framework for stability, (and all the lovely grey in between). And those who just drop all pretence of those aspects because the external structure is removed.

At the end of the book when the navel officer discovers these kids, that's what they become; just kids. The social structure is instantly imposed upon them in their minds and for those who forgot the external structure; suddenly things are back to 'normal'.

On some level I think most people are aware of this danger, but rather than recognising it as a lack of internal structure, or rather internal considerations of aspects that question a status quo and the questioner's place within them, they believe the answer is more external structure and more control. But that just intensifies the problem.

So you end up with the pressure cooker on a micro-scale individual level, because besides the problems that this person faces, you also see the issue with not being given the space to expand and express on internal considerations.

Meh but that's just my theory.

Mole

Permabanned
Is violence so prevalent in Western culture? We can only know by comparison with other cultures such as Indian culture, Chinese culture, and Islamic culture.

And violence against women and against lower castes in India far exceeds violence in Western culture.

And violence against dissent in China far exceeds violence in Western culture.

And violence in Islamic culture is orders of magnitude greater than in Western culture.

So we can conclude that in Western culture, under Common Law and liberal democracy, violence is relatively less prevalent.

chubber

failed poetry slam career
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't think it is something only to Western society... but rather just plain old over crowding. Too many people making trouble, causes anger. (fighting over territory, you know)

But this guy did a study on it, John B. Calhoun. Further reading for more detail by reading this: Behavioral sink.

Oh and this too :) Genetics of aggression

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Life expectancy has gone up, violence has gone down, most of the world over. Excepting war zones.

The types of sensational crimes televised and otherwise media circus-ized may have changed a little... and have more exposure.

This is for a number of reasons... often because people want to show their pain to the world, they want to make a mark, a statement... and they want others to see how they feel. Often they are neglected, bullied, abused and desperate to be heard.

That these things receive such coverage successfully fuels others desires.