• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

A podcast on learning to control your mind - and consequently your emotions

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
This guy crystallises and synthesises a process that goes on in my head instinctively, and has helped me untangle some knots in the areas where I'm unable to fully execute it. Iow, he is able to put into words what I have failed repeatedly to explain sufficiently when asked about it.

And (for the T-users :wink:) he even put together a 'mathematical' formula, called the 'Equation of Emotion'. The idea is to gain control over your own emotions by controlling your mind, using the formula. Occasionally, his way of going about it bugs me - when he uses too many buzz words, for instance- but in general his system basically worked to crystallise and synthesise my own process for me the way MBTI did in validating my perceptions of how people differed back in the day, so I figured I'd share.

This particular podcast is focused on the 'Ego', but he does go into the equation as well, to give you a little sample of the core idea.

[video]http://iamspirituality.com/i-am-spirituality-ep-0005-the-ego/[/video]

For those interested, he has a series of podcasts on this subjects as well as a book.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I like the video.

yeghor

This guy crystallises and synthesises a process that goes on in my head instinctively, and has helped me untangle some knots in the areas where I'm unable to fully execute it. Iow, he is able to put into words what I have failed repeatedly to explain sufficiently when asked about it.

And (for the T-users :wink:) he even put together a 'mathematical' formula, called the 'Equation of Emotion'. The idea is to gain control over your own emotions by controlling your mind, using the formula. Occasionally, his way of going about it bugs me - when he uses too many buzz words, for instance- but in general his system basically worked to crystallise and synthesise my own process for me the way MBTI did in validating my perceptions of how people differed back in the day, so I figured I'd share.

This particular podcast is focused on the 'Ego', but he does go into the equation as well, to give you a little sample of the core idea.

For those interested, he has a series of podcasts on this subjects as well as a book.

I also have a theory that in MBTI, the judging functions comprise our ego. In INFJs for instance, the ego is externally dependent on how other's feel about the individual (being socially accepted) thru INFJ's Fe and having a good understanding of things ? thru Ti.

So an IxFJs' ego is mostly dependent on external feedback about the self. Developing tertiary Ti provides some kind of internal offset to the external dependence.

Ti is like kind of providing counter arguments to people's external feedback about the IxFJ, which IxFJs tend to give a high regard. However in terms of function order, Ti still comes weak when compared to Fe. Therefore, for the ego to be less dependent on external feedback, IxFJs (or all types) has to develop their shadow functions so as to offset Fe with shadow-Fi in case of IxFJs, that is to say, IxFJs have to develop their internal set of values about their self, which they can fall back on to when someone criticizes or assaults them thru their Fe. Like "you are a lying and dishonest person" which is offset by "under some circumstances I don't need to be 100% honest to people who are not in my close circle and I am OK with that" kinda thing which somehow would dissipate the attack.

Developing Se and Ne in IxFJs would also allow them to project themselves onto others when under assault, and retaliate by using those functions rather than internally analyzing every accusation using their Ni and Si.

In xNFPs in this theory, ego would be dependent mostly on Fi (internal set of social\spiritual values) and somewhat on Te (material\utility value of the self). So xNFPs (or xxxPs in general) would be much less susceptible to external criticism in comparison to IxxJs (or xxxJs in general).

How would an ego comprised mostly of Fi or Ti (like in IxxPs) be offended thru external feedback? When their Ti or Fi judgments or values ridiculed by others? They would just be angered if they are ridiculed but would really be offended if (they themselved are convinced) they turned out to be undeniably wrong I guess.

I didn't watch his other videos but is there any parallel between this and what he talks about in relation to ego coming under attack, which results in formation of negative emotions?

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
TThis particular podcast is focused on the 'Ego', but he does go into the equation as well, to give you a little sample of the core idea.

I just don't get this fellow's point. The video seems simplistic to the point of uselessness. "How to remove negative emotions from your life entirely." Really? Is this even healthy? Is it possible to eradicate negative emotion without also removing positive emotion? I'm certainly no expert, but most advice I hear asserts the opposite, that one must take the good with the bad, just as life will bring both pleasure and pain. The point is not to let either cloud your judgment and lead you into choices that are harmful or you will regret.

As for the rest, it doesn't add up. Ego includes your physical appearance, likes/dislikes, even your name . . . and all of this is false? I agree that there is more to a person than these aspects, but that just means this picture is incomplete, not that it is false. The consumer choices the speaker identifies are influenced by values, which I suppose he would consign to that false ego as well. So, take away our physical body, our preferences, relationships, and values - and what is left? For that matter, what is wrong with being sad when Grandma dies, or fearful when about to be attacked by a bear? Somewhere in there he also equates anger at being insulted (your political party sucks) with anger at having one's child struck. These situations are in no way comparable. I cannot take this fellow seriously.

Last edited:

Serendipity

the Dark Prophet of Kualu
MBTI Type
RAD
yeghor said:
[quote name="Amargith" post=2331735]This guy crystallises and synthesises a process that goes on in my head instinctively, and has helped me untangle some knots in the areas where I'm unable to fully execute it. Iow, he is able to put into words what I have failed repeatedly to explain sufficiently when asked about it.

The Ego - I AM Spirituality Ep 0005 - I AM Emotional Intelligence Mindfulness

I also have a theory that in MBTI, the judging functions comprise our ego. In INFJs for instance, the ego is externally dependent on how other's feel about the individual (being socially accepted) thru INFJ's Fe and having a good understanding of things ? thru Ti.

So an IxFJs' ego is mostly dependent on external feedback about the self. Developing tertiary Ti provides some kind of internal offset to the external dependence.

Ti is like kind of providing counter arguments to people's external feedback about the IxFJ, which IxFJs tend to give a high regard. However in terms of function order, Ti still comes weak when compared to Fe. Therefore, for the ego to be less dependent on external feedback, IxFJs (or all types) has to develop their shadow functions so as to offset Fe with shadow-Fi in case of IxFJs, that is to say, IxFJs have to develop their internal set of values about their self, which they can fall back on to when someone criticizes or assaults them thru their Fe. Like "you are a lying and dishonest person" which is offset by "under some circumstances I don't need to be 100% honest to people who are not in my close circle and I am OK with that" kinda thing which somehow would dissipate the attack.

Developing Se and Ne in IxFJs would also allow them to project themselves onto others when under assault, and retaliate by using those functions rather than internally analyzing every accusation using their Ni and Si.

In xNFPs in this theory, ego would be dependent mostly on Fi (internal set of social\spiritual values) and somewhat on Te (material\utility value of the self). So xNFPs (or xxxPs in general) would be much less susceptible to external criticism in comparison to IxxJs (or xxxJs in general).

How would an ego comprised mostly of Fi or Ti (like in IxxPs) be offended thru external feedback? When their Ti or Fi judgments or values ridiculed by others? They would just be angered if they are ridiculed but would really be offended if (they themselved are convinced) they turned out to be undeniably wrong I guess.[/quote]

tell me more. :)