• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Scientific Definition of Introversion and Extraversion (Quiz Included)

á´…eparted

passages
Think you're an introvert? You're probably wrong

Based on the latest science of personality, the most common misunderstanding of the extraversion-introversion dimension is that introverts are more introspective than extroverts. In reality, introverts are not necessarily introspective and highly introspective people aren't necessarily introverted. It's not that introverts think more deeply before they speak, it's simply that they need more time to think before they speak.
Traits such as sensitivity and social anxiety are also not part of the introversion-extraversion domain. To be sure, many people may think of themselves as introverted because they are highly sensitive. But research shows that sensory processing sensitivity is independent of introversion.
What's more, there are lots of people who view themselves as "sensitive introverts", when they are really covert narcissists. These individuals are characterized by their sense of entitlement to social attention. Accordingly, they are hurt easily by the slightest remark of others, are hyper self conscious and self absorbed, and are frequently upset that others don't recognize their brilliance. Covert narcissism is strongly associated with neuroticism, not introversion.
It's important to distinguish, however, between the most prominent behavioral manifestation of extraversion (desire for social attention) and the core underlying mechanism of extraversion (reward sensitivity). Even though reward sensitivity need not be limited exclusively to social situations, high reward sensitivity likely motivates extraverts to seek out potentially rewarding positive social interactions, and fuels them to display behaviors that will increase social attention (e.g., friendliness, smiling, high energy, loudness, exhibitionism, positive emotions).

This is a fantastic article that truly defines what introversion and extroversion are, correctly, free of bias. I would go insofar as to say this is the best, and most supported article on I/E I have ever read. There are so many misconceptions on what it is and what it is not, and research has really honed what the core drives and reasons are. I highly encourage everyone to read the whole article. It gets into the nitty gritty, and they do so based off scientific research, so this isn't just anecdotal assumptions. This has the potential to clear a lot of things for some.

The quiz is at the bottom of the article, and is scaled as such (1 to 5):

If you averaged 3.0 or less, you are probably an introvert.
If you averaged between 3.1-3.8, you're probably an ambivert.
If you averaged 3.9 or higher, you're probably an extravert.

I scored 4.0 so it solidifies that I am indeed an extrovert.

Discuss! [MENTION=8936]highlander[/MENTION] I think you'll like this one.

Eluded_One

Building muscle memory in my brain
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
So I'm not introverted, I'm just quiet? I'll take the test in a bit

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
I got 2.2 on the E/I which was a bit of a surprise. I thought I was a socially anxious extravert. But maybe I still am and I've just inaccurately represented myself or misunderstood how I actually am.

On that covert narcissist one I scored 89 which is interesting. But if it's reliable would explain a lot.

Eilonwy

Vulnerability
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Overall 2.6, so I am an introvert. Will have to do the other tests later.

ETA: 68 on the Narcissist Test

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
There is no right or wrong definitions, there are just different definitions that has varied a bit over time. From originally more cognitive perspective(jung) and to more behavioristic perspective(big5/eysenck etc). MBTIs definitions combines both of these aspects to some degree by trying to point out some common behavioristic traits for I/E based on more simplified cognitive perspective of jungs.

Alea_iacta_est

2.05 (Introvert). I thought I would score Ambivert like I usually do.

105 on Covert Narcissism.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
got 1.85 on the i/e (i feel i'm more ambiverted, I know I'm not extroverted, no matter how many times you people tell me I am)

62 on convert narcism

so according to this i'm an introvert who is averagely narcissitic.

Kullervo

Permabanned
MBTI Type
N/A
I scored 3.15 (ambivert leaning towards introversion), low on enthusiasm and high on assertiveness, and my score on the covert narcissism test is 107.

So according to these folks I am off the charts narcissistic and an ambivert...:dry:

This is very helpful [MENTION=20829]Hard[/MENTION] so thanks a lot for posting these links

Last edited:

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
Well so far the pattern that's being painted is that the people most likely on typology forums are both introverted and covert narcissists.

Vasilisa

Symbolic Herald
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
2.6 = introvert
58 on the Maladaptive Covert Narcissism Scale

Seymour

Vaguely Precise
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I hate doing arithmetic, so I whipped up javascript versions of the quizzes:

Introversion Quiz

Covert Narcissism

These are very lightly tested (I just threw them together), so don't necessarily trust the results. Still, seems to work for me.

My results:

Introversion: 1.90 (introverted)
MCNS: 51 (average, almost low)

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Lol.

2.7 and 54... yet I am an Extrovert, just not a very good one :biggrin:

Am all for people getting over the inane stereotypes of Introvert = deep thinker/introspective, Extrovert = all the things they aren't.

á´…eparted

passages
Lol.

2.7 and 54... yet I am an Extrovert, just not a very good one :biggrin:

Am all for people getting over the inane stereotypes of Introvert = deep thinker/introspective, Extrovert = all the things they aren't.

Me thinks you might just have a case of the lazy, ye one who hides amongst the shadows ;).

The studies really do kind of shake the foundation of what it means to be extroverted though. I think there's equally as many people who see themselves as extroverts but are actually introverted. A lot of it does come from the standpoint of dominance which is historically not really associated with extroversion from what I've noticed. I agree with the studies and their findings, but it's still interesting. It also leads me to wonder how this would apply to individuals with depression or depression-like mental illness, and anxiety mental illnesses. It could really cloud ones nature in the I/E spectrum, and it's something I have certainly experienced in the past.

SpankyMcFly

Level 8 Propaganda Bot
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I scored a 3.2
and a 49, which seems too low :D

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I know i'm not sensitive, special, or highly intelligent, I also don't have social anxiety or shy. But I know I'm an introvert. You can be totally fine walking up to strangers and asking questions and still be introvert. or you can be totally not fine walking up to strangers and asking questions and still be an extrovert. Social situations drain me, and not because i'm anxious they just do.

But because I id as an Introvert, I don't think i'm unicorn poop or anything.

xisnotx

Permabanned
definitional switching, is what this is called.

and also, again, what's with the undercurrent of negative labeling? psychology, or shall i call it, pop psychology is ridden with prescriptive as opposed to descriptive labels. one characteristic i like about the mbti is how it is descriptive whereas much of psychology is prescriptive. forgive me, but isn't psychology still in its infancy? less than 100 years old? and yet we feel competent enough apply it so confidently? enough to prescribe psychoactive drugs altering something as essential brain chemistry? the modern day drug push is no better than the mushing of the prefrontal cortex as a remedy for...who knows what...

psychology has a lot of blood on its hands, and it's the prescriptive "negative labeling" that's one reason why.

Noll

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp

That seems correct, I'd definitely call myself an ambivert, a modest one. I understand why I may seem like an introvert to many in real life.

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Scored 4.0 on the I/E test, so again another test marks me as an extrovert. Good. Well the only time I ever scored introvert was on the similarminds JCF test. It put me as INFP because I scored 95% Ne and 100% Fi. :thinking:

Scored 47 on the covert narcissist test. So I'm below average but not exactly "low" in covert narcissism.