• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Scientific Definition of Introversion and Extraversion (Quiz Included)

Eluded_One

Building muscle memory in my brain
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

51 on covert narcissism

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
ambivert leading more toward introversion (makes sense)

Haven

Blind Guardian
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Ambiverted narcissist here, 3.1 and 100

I'm actually a little proud of my narcissism score (for obvious reasons I guess)

Eruca

78% me
MBTI Type
INxx
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Extroverts rule introverts drool. - This article

Nicodemus

This is a fantastic article that truly defines what introversion and extroversion are, correctly, free of bias.
Before I read the article, I will take the time to laugh at the idea of a true, correct definition of a concept.

Reading now...

While introversion has its roots in the idea of introspection, today introversion is simply defined as the opposite of extraversion. Extraversion is one of the "Big Five" dimensions of personality, the other four being neuroticism, agreeableness, conscientiousness, and openness to experience. Whereas Jung based his definitions of extraversion and introversion on his own theory, experience, and intuition, modern psychology identifies personality dimensions empirically, based on what patterns of behavior tend to go together within individuals.
In other words, you can be a Jungian introvert while being an extravert in Mr. Kaufman's eyes.

As for the I/E test scores:

Overall: 2.2
Engagement: 1.3
Assertiveness: 3.1

MCNS score: 63

á´…eparted

passages
Extroverts rule introverts drool. - This article

This did cross my mind a little actually. Though, I do not believe it was intended at all, nor was it framed that way. It more seemed like the definition was refined in such a way that included stereotypically desirable traits for extroverts and undesirable for introverts. It doesn't mean that one is better than the other though. While the stereotype persists, there has been a lot of good pushback for introverts in the past decade or so.

Before I read the article, I will take the time to laugh at the idea of a true, correct definition of a concept.

Reading now...

In other words, you can be a Jungian introvert while being an extravert in Mr. Kaufman's eyes.

As for the I/E test scores:

Overall: 2.2
Engagement: 1.3
Assertiveness: 3.1

MCNS score: 63

Ok, well lets say a much more accurate refined definition then. And yes I agree, while there will be overlap between the two, it can be independent. I've felt this way about the I/E axis in particular for a few years now after seeing the differences between how each is assessed.

Elocute

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
I scored a 2.9. I think it's accurate; I can get extroverted in spurts but not enough to really qualify for ambiversion.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
This is surprising.....

3.3 on E/I, ambivert

89 on covert narcisissm

So maybe I'm really just a narcissist deep down and not really a true introvert, in spite of scoring high on introvert on most MBTI tests.

Caw the rooks

MBTI Type
ENTP
What's wrong with the popular definitions? That's just evolution of language, it doesn't make them incorrect.

People on the internet are so obsessed about narcissism, aren't they, what's so interesting about that particular mental illness rather than others?

To answer my own question, I suppose it's because the symptoms (or behavioral manifestations) equate to socially hated traits in a person such as arrogance and selfishness, which is so because humans are social creatures that support each other to survive, rather than being solitary predators.

Because of the nature of the symptoms it makes for a good insult, and also makes people sensitive to the idea of being one. It's an insult because it's hard to sympathize with someone of that nature, unlike other personality disorders; calling someone avoidant, borderline or schizotypal isn't thrown at someone hatefully in the same way, is it?

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
4.1! Very extroverted, which is not surprising.

More assertive (4.3) than enthusiastic (3.9) -- also not surprising.

Took the covert narcissism test for fun and got 58 (5-10 points below average).

Lady Lazarus

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I/E: 1.30

Covert Narcissism: 67(Average)

Mane

Permabanned
I/E: 4.05 (Extrovert)
Covert Narcissism: 55 (10 points bellow average)

To be honest I am surprised by both scores... And on other news, I really like the concept of ambivert (Despite the questionnaire's disagreement).

Galena

Silver and Lead
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I/E: 2.35
That sounds just right.

Covert Narcissism: 74
Also sounds accurate; not going to justify it.

Snoopy22

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
A 2.7 and a 60 on the covert narcissists test (did because others also did this test). Would also add that any test based on being honest with ourselves is always suspect.

uumlau

Happy Dancer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
1.55 - pretty darn introverted. 29 on MCNS - not narcissistic

The article just pulls out a different definition of introversion. Those familiar with typology have known for a long while that the Big Five version of introversion and extroversion is slightly different from the Jungian/MBTI version. And both of these are in turn different from the common definition as it relates to how socially oriented/active you are.

What matters isn't which definition is "correct" as implied by the article. What matters is whether those with whom you are communicating share the same definition.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
3.4 ambivert...I already knew that....66 in covert narcissist, average ...I told you people im not a narcissist...people with HPD seek attention and have dramatic relationships too.

ginniebean

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
3.5 Ambivert
54 in covert narcissism