• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

A mind is a terrible thing to use. Waste it here.

Chuffney

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3/8
Instinctual Variant
so
Does anyone else aim for jobs, targets, and obligations way below their actual ability? I am unsure of the psychology behind it, but reaching my potential sounds like hard work. Previous biology teachers and professors have told me I have the brain to become a doctor, but I find the idea of tending a bar so much more appealing. It's not even an outright preference since I have great interest in medicine and medical science, I just find myself far more attracted to the simple, yet rewarding things.

Hive

hypersane
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Misery is easy, happiness is hard.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
I do the opposite.

My face constantly hurts from all the falling flat.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yeah. Less responsibility and less chance to fuck up. More personal time, because if I worked to my full potential, I'd probably be in a profession which required me to work 80 hours a week.

ShadowPage

Not to mention that it seems as if you're defining 'potential' as strictly a matter of intellectual difficulty/cognitive complexity. Why wouldn't bartending be something that allows you to develop a skill previously cast aside/undiscovered? It's something you want to do, it can help you grow as well, right?

My initial response was more in line with "maybe people don't want to run themselves into the ground (and existential crises) doing something just because it's their "greatest skill" or challenges their potential as defined in the classroom." Pretty pessimistic and with only a hint of projection. :laugh: In other words, I'm with you. Just because I could do something difficult/highly specialized, doesn't mean I should have to. For my own sake.

I'm also inclined to take Hive's position. It's easy to do something you have no passion for, just because it's socially/culturally respected and something you are good at- in the sense that there are so many institutional structures in place to facilitate it. Want to go to business school? There's tons of them. Want to learn how to run a wildlife preserve? Not so much. And that's not even accounting how people's indifference to your goals can throw more wrenches into your plans than you might think. But even if you are able to provide for yourself and take care of living needs, how long would you want to bother living that life? *shrug*

There's a part of me that thinks that people choosing professions that don't challenge them is as much a social issue as it is a personal one. I can only speak for my culture: education as an institution is as broken as the day is long. And that's gotta count for something.

Mole

Permabanned
Physical Pleasure and Psychological Delight

It shows my limited view of life that I am constantly surprised to discover those who have no interest in the intellectual life - no interest in the discoveries, no interest in the controversies, no interest in the magic of poetry, no interest of where they stand in the physical or psychological worlds.

Of course I recognise life is short and most are concerned with physical and psychological survival. But there are a blessed few who are thriving and not merely surviving - they are blessed with physical pleasure and psychological delight.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
OP: Now why would you think that tending a bar is easy, hmmm? Or even less worthwhile than being a doctor? I can say that a great bartender has brought me a hell of a lot more joy than most doctors I deal with.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I can say that a great bartender has brought me a hell of a lot more joy than most doctors I deal with.

Oh really?

Counterpoint:

Regarding the OP, I'm a generalist. I find specialization difficult.

Mole

Permabanned
OP: Now why would you think that tending a bar is easy, hmmm? Or even less worthwhile than being a doctor? I can say that a great bartender has brought me a hell of a lot more joy than most doctors I deal with.

It is no fun being sober and surrounded by drunks, yet this is the fate of bartenders.

And the pay is poor and the status is low.

There is no intellectual life, no artistic life, in fact being a bartender is not much of a life at all.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It is no fun being sober and surrounded by drunks, yet this is the fate of bartenders.

There is no intellectual life, no artistic life, in fact being a bartender is not much of a life at all.

Every bar has its own life, some more interesting than others. The bartender is the center of what it is. Drunk intellectuals are amazing.

Mole

Permabanned
Every bar has its own life, some more interesting than others. The bartender is the center of what it is. Drunk intellectuals are amazing.

I grew up in a hotel, the Imperial Hotel in Picton, New South Wales, Australia. So I know it from the inside.

Bars and hotels depend on alcoholics to make their profits. And alcoholisim is a disease or an addiction and destroys families and individuals.

And believe you me, drunk intellectuals only think they are amazing.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I grew up in a hotel, the Imperial Hotel in Picton, New South Wales, Australia. So I know it from the inside.

Bars and hotels depend on alcoholics to make their profits. And alcoholisim is a disease or an addiction and destroys families and individuals.

And believe you me, drunk intellectuals only think they are amazing.

Remind me to never drink with you, only at you.

Saft

Permabanned
Well according to Jon Taffer (world renowned bar expert), running a bar is not just a business, it’s a science. So technically, if you were running a bar you would be involved in a science.

Mole

Permabanned
Well according to Jon Taffer (world renowned bar expert), running a bar is not just a business, it’s a science. So technically, if you were running a bar you would be involved in a science.

If running a bar were a business and a science, we might be interested in knowing how many alcoholics it takes to make a bar profitable.

We might ask, how many destroyed families does it take to make a bar profitable? How much alcoholic violence does it take to make bar profitable? How many ruined lives does it take to make a bar profitable? How many alcoholic deaths on the roads does it take to make a bar profitable?

Daenera

Rogue heart
Does anyone else aim for jobs, targets, and obligations way below their actual ability? I am unsure of the psychology behind it, but reaching my potential sounds like hard work.

Don't know the exact reason behind that, but:"work smarter not harder", can be the official motto for ENTPs.

Jaguar

I don't aim for jobs, targets, and obligations above or below my ability. I simply do what interests me.

Chuffney

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3/8
Instinctual Variant
so

A friend of mine is shift manager in my city's largest bar, I have learnt a fair bit about the running of such an establishment from him. I class him as ESFJ, although I am not entirely sure. We get along well, and while he finds the quantity of work to deal with quite difficult, he enjoys the work in itself making it easy enough for him to do. I use that as an example because he suspects I would fit in the same way as he has, although turning up five days a week to do the same thing sounds tragic.

I do stand by the statement, however, that in terms of expertise, qualification, and workload, doctoring is several times harder than bartending. As for worthwhile, I mean it in a quantitative sense. I blatantly couldn't do doctoring purely because of the previous two sentences.

I don't aim for jobs, targets, and obligations above or below my ability. I simply do what interests me.

I'm very happy for you.

Last edited:

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

i.know quite a few people who.made very good.livings tending bar.

depends on where you work i suppose.

Mole

Permabanned
i.know quite a few people who.made very good.livings tending bar.

depends on where you work i suppose.

No matter where you work, both police and bartenders look after drunks.

Bartenders are worse because they make their profits from alcoholics.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
No matter where you work, both police and bartenders look after drunks.

Bartenders are worse because they make their profits from alcoholics.

not everyone that drinks is an alcoholic mole. most aren't.