• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Wanting to be famous just so everyone knows you

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Why would anyone want this? I know a couple of people who want this (and I have seen others from a distance who want this too). The thought of getting that much attention from vast amounts of people makes me quiver and hide in fear. What is the source of joy in this and why is it important? I don't understand why/how anyone would like this. Any ideas?

(I'm not talking about people who want to share their talents/achievements with others or the world. I'm talking about people who are more into the fame than the task that results in the fame)

xisnotx

Permabanned
makes you feel good that you mattered to a lot of people. what's wrong with wanting to matter? what's wrong with wanting to feel good?

Arctic Hysteria

an abyss of Nothingness
MBTI Type
IxFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
They need constant validation, from as many people as possible. It's a symptom of insecurity in my world.

Being popular among as many people as possible does not make you truly "matter" to them.

Mole

Permabanned
The world has changed. We no longer live in a Hunter Gather economy, we no longer live in an Agrarian economy, we no longer live in an Industrial economy, we now live in an Attention economy.

So now we all compete for Attention. And in the Attention economy we pay attention.

But just as the robber barons dominated the Industrial economy, so celebrities dominate our Attention economy.

Celebrities have succeeded in monopolising attention, so much so, we don't pay sufficient attention to each other.

So celebrities are robbing us of attention every day.

One way to learn to pay attention to one another is at SHARE!

xisnotx

Permabanned
ok, try number 2. as a way to accumulate other resources for your family. famous people have more influence and are therefore more capable of providing for their offspring, an enviable trait.

Mole

Permabanned
ok, try number 2. as a way to accumulate other resources for your family. famous people have more influence and are therefore more capable of providing for their offspring, an enviable trait.

If we learnt to pay attention to one another rather than paying attention to celebrities, we would be happier.

Edgar

Nerd King Usurper
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx
Why would anyone want this? I know a couple of people who want this (and I have seen others from a distance who want this too). The thought of getting that much attention from vast amounts of people makes me quiver and hide in fear. What is the source of joy in this and why is it important? I don't understand why/how anyone would like this.

Clearly you're not an extravert.

Chthonic

I knew someone who was insanely obssessed with celebrity. Not a celebrity, celebrity as a thing itself. For him it was like becoming royalty, you no longer needed skills, you did not need to work, you just enjoyed yourself at parties and everyone watched and gave you gifts. It was his idea of a career move. I will live my life and you will all adore me. An, ESFP I think. :thinking:

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Social value & power, vip treatment everywhere, access to other famous people... Not that bad, right?

Missed your threads, Giggly.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i don't get it at all. it sounds like hell.

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
yeah, hell no never. would not like to be in the public eye. seems awful.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
It sounds like a nightmare.

Kullervo

Permabanned
MBTI Type
N/A
I have never understood it either.

Finding fame and power attractive isn't necessarily a weakness, but these shouldn't be motives in and of themselves. It is best to desire to be the best at something in particular, or desire power for a specific purpose - this gives you focus. I really want to be the best in my year with my compositions...and I was on the way to achieving this but have had a really bad mental block which is still ongoing, so I am on holiday in Turkey for a few weeks relaxing and trying to read up on some theory. I'm mostly indifferent to having influence in areas unrelated to my work, but I would like to be remembered for it.

Celebrity culture is something I have always hated. I loathe reporters (investigative journalists excepted); tabloid media should be banned so these people have to do some actual journalism to make a living.

Jaguar

Fame can be a prison which many find out after getting what they wanted. Sounds like a decent life lesson, no?

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Why would anyone want this? I know a couple of people who want this (and I have seen others from a distance who want this too). The thought of getting that much attention from vast amounts of people makes me quiver and hide in fear. What is the source of joy in this and why is it important? I don't understand why/how anyone would like this. Any ideas?

Heavy is the head that wears the crown. No thanks. (And recognition for skills or a job well done is, as you pointed out, a different beast.)

The more fame you have, the more critics there are. See also: fan backlash.

5 years ago, the consensus was that Christopher Nolan was a genius. Now he's a hack. Yes, the Dark Knight Rises was a disappointing follow up, but in my opinion, a mediocre movie should not cancel out the good movies someone made. You get adoration, but only as long as you stay at the top of your game. If you slip, (maybe only even once) you get hatred.

Of course Nolan still has a lot of money, but the question is about fame, not money, and whether such a thing is desirable.

To me, I think fame is WAY TOO MUCH PRESSURE.

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I've considered what I would do if I became famous. How I imagine it'd play out is that I'd go the way of Kelly Clarkson and hone a powerful, amazing voice and then audition on The Voice/X-Factor and somehow make it big. I mean this is just a fantasy I suck at singing. :blush: But yeah, from then this is what I got:

Pros

• getting the opportunity to meet people you've always wanted to meet - famous or not
  • having the money/power to go almost anywhere you wanted
  • doing interviews and being able to speak your mind and get your thoughts out for the public to digest
  • being able to contribute more to causes you believe in (I'd be at the ASPCA every day if I could)
  • dating-wise, a lot more people would have you on their radar (not because they want the fame, but because being famous makes you more well-known and therefore more people would find you attractive than before)

Cons

• having almost zero privacy and having to be cautious everywhere you go
  • having every word you say criticized and distorted by the public
  • having to rely on more people other than yourself
  • people would always want you to do something
  • more obligations
  • private life, relationships, and drama in your life would be used as a marketing tactic

So yeah...there's that. :shrug: Every type of life has its ups and downs, but I think I'd prefer the life I'd live now. Of course, fantasizing about this every now and then is a fun passtime too. :D