• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

that point in an arguement, when a conclusion is supposed to be reached an we move on

jcloudz

Yup
MBTI Type
Istj
but it does not happen. Instead, the argument, continues beyond the concluding point that should end further discussion an instead, you are dealing not with the topic of conversation but the issues of the person who does not want to end the argument an their extreme sense of self importance an how they can`t be wrong, evar.

when you reach this point, you can`t expect them to concede but explore more dead ends an eat your time. is there a how to, to shutting down such a fool? or is it something that has to get personal, because deep down the person is childish an can`t handle being wrong?

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
but it does not happen. Instead, the argument, continues beyond the concluding point that should end further discussion an instead, you are dealing not with the topic of conversation but the issues of the person who does not want to end the argument an their extreme sense of self importance an how they can`t be wrong, evar.

when you reach this point, you can`t expect them to concede but explore more dead ends an eat your time. is there a how to, to shutting down such a fool? or is it something that has to get personal, because deep down the person is childish an can`t handle being wrong?

There's always more than one way to skin a cat.

wildflower

you can agree to disagree or just walk away from the argument. i'm not sure trying to shut someone else down is either a good thing to do nor productive. just let them own their erroneous beliefs and move on to talking about something else or move on and interact with someone else more congenial.

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Some dead guy wrote something about not pelting swine with pearls. Also, you can lead a donkey to water, but the donkey will still try to kick you and resent you for doing so. Moral of the story: leave donkeys alone.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Some dead guy wrote something about not pelting swine with pearls. Also, you can lead a donkey to water, but the donkey will still try to kick you and resent you for doing so. Moral of the story: leave donkeys alone.

That's when you unleash the dragons.

á´…eparted

passages
I have tried many times in my life to FORCE someone to just accept defeat in arguments where there was no ambiguity on what the answer and course of action is, and most times it doesn't work out as intended. Sometimes it does, and you need to find the right finesse, but it can be difficult. If I enter an argument, I enter it with the expectation that there will be closure, there will be an end, and there will be a point where everyone shuts the fuck up and it's settled. No more discussion. No nothing. I despise open endedness when it doesn't need to be there. I want clear starts and clear finishes.

When someone keeps arguing, for the sake of arguing because they don't like the answer to it, I tend to get really mad regardless of what it is. Work, politics, even things with friends, etc. and I will attempt to halt it. I absolutely LOATHE and I mean REALLY loathe the kinds of individuals you pointed out in your OP. Over time though I've learned that sometimes you have to halt yourself as ultimately it is only you that you are in control over. What I normally do is restate the initial premise, state that I made my case, they made theirs, and there is a refusal to find middle ground or any reasonable agreement. It won't be reached so any discussion beyond it will not be of any use, and I exit. If I have the ability, I'll put a cork in their mouth as well.

Why to people do this? Some people just don't know how to stop, and enjoy having things open ended even if it is not a good thing. It absolutely boggles my mind, but they do exist and seem to work fine in their own methods. As for being unable to handle being wrong, I think it is much more common for someone to feel they are always right, and are utterly impervious to any reason or persuasion. These individuals, are best left alone when possible.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

Eventually, I just ignore such people altogether and refuse to listen to them. Some people you can convince, some people you can't no matter what.

Serendipity

the Dark Prophet of Kualu
MBTI Type
RAD

Surprise them. In whichever way possible. :evil:

wildflower

yeah, scratch my earlier comment and crush them like a bug. :D okay, i'm kidding…mostly.